Gary Madine

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

tomshaw1988
Hopeful
Hopeful

Gary Madine

Post by tomshaw1988 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Whats everyone's thoughts on us signing Gary Madine, a man who is renowned for what he does off the field rather than on it. His goal scoring record is poor, shipped out on loan to Coventry not offered a new deal at Wednesday because he isn't good enough for them. Should we be really looking to sign a player who below par and looks like potential baggage for the club?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gary Madine

Post by thebish » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 pm

tomshaw1988 wrote:Whats everyone's thoughts on us signing Gary Madine, a man who is renowned for what he does off the field rather than on it. His goal scoring record is poor, shipped out on loan to Coventry not offered a new deal at Wednesday because he isn't good enough for them. Should we be really looking to sign a player who below par and looks like potential baggage for the club?
I think we'd need some means of TRANSPORTING him to the Macron... hmmmmmmm........

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 21, 2015 12:52 pm

I'd never hear of him before Tuesday tbh
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu May 21, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't know enough about him to say he is shit or write him off before he has even kicked a ball for us.

How about we all see how he does for us and hope and encourage him to do well.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 pm

aye - and we could do that on the transfer thread! no thread of his own until we get a PSG!!

tomshaw1988
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tomshaw1988 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm not writing him off I just think there's better options available than signing someone whos average at best and who is convicted violent thug.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-24398799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:22 pm

tomshaw1988 wrote:I'm not writing him off I just think there's better options available than signing someone whos average at best and who is convicted violent thug.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-24398799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Privy to the accounts, are you? Know how much we're paying him, and how much the other out of contract strikers want?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 pm

He's served his debt and has hopefully calmed down a bit after being in the slammer. Give the boy a chance, says I :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

tomshaw1988
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tomshaw1988 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm

No but that's making the presumptions that we are paying him less, there's no saying if we are or are not . It still doesn't take away from what he had done in his past, I just think it's bad publicity for the club to associated with this type of player.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 21, 2015 2:54 pm

I honestly believe that the club couldn't give a feck about PR.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 21, 2015 2:58 pm

tomshaw1988 wrote:No but that's making the presumptions that we are paying him less, there's no saying if we are or are not . It still doesn't take away from what he had done in his past, I just think it's bad publicity for the club to associated with this type of player.
What type of player? Fotball's populated by folk who get pxssed and behave like nutters, stub cigars out in their mate's eyes, fire airguns at their mates, let off fireworks in their bathroom, screw each other's wives (and in some cases grandmas) and are the greediest fxckers on earth (agant apart). I ask again, what type of player. Can he play football?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu May 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:He's served his debt and has hopefully calmed down a bit after being in the slammer. Give the boy a chance, says I :)
This 100% - also hopefully he will have a point to prove, and he will add some much needed steel to a side that is / was quite soft and got bullied easily.

I think you'll find NL bringing in a couple more players of the 'can look after themselves' type, as he'll want the side much more competitive and aggressive next season

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu May 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:He's served his debt and has hopefully calmed down a bit after being in the slammer. Give the boy a chance, says I :)

Agree with that. Bruce
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 21, 2015 5:39 pm

I agree with the "steel" comments. We've seemed a bit soft up top for a while. I guess the flipside is we don't want to be giving freekicks away for fun like we were starting to do with the barrel-chested one.

Just spoken to a Wednesday-ite... sounds a bit like Cravies without the injuries (I'm assuming Madine doesn't have injuries!?) in that he's decent at league one level but maybe a gamble for the championship.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 21, 2015 5:45 pm

if he's a cravies replacement - seems sensible to replace cravies if we are gonna play two up, or nearly 2 up - one up and one very close to being "up"! if Lennon still intends to buy a 15-20 goal-a-season striker as a priority - then there might not be that much game time for our other nippy young strikers who want to play off a bruiser...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 21, 2015 5:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
tomshaw1988 wrote:No but that's making the presumptions that we are paying him less, there's no saying if we are or are not . It still doesn't take away from what he had done in his past, I just think it's bad publicity for the club to associated with this type of player.
What type of player? Fotball's populated by folk who get pxssed and behave like nutters, stub cigars out in their mate's eyes, fire airguns at their mates, let off fireworks in their bathroom, screw each other's wives (and in some cases grandmas) and are the greediest fxckers on earth (agant apart). I ask again, what type of player. Can he play football?
You forgot throttling the Missus like Danny Simpson has just done!
But well said - if he carries on with that shit then chuck him out. I can't say I'm looking forward to his arrival but he's not the first to get into trouble and plenty have sorted themselves out. Let's worry about his ability to play and score.
I also like the fact that Lennon has backed himself to sort the lad out like Sam used to do. Freedman would've shit his pants at the very mention of his name.
As for 'type of player', I'm a bit sick of our recent type of player. Nothing against Ream personally, but when your player of the season gets brushed off the ball like a 10 year-old as his team rolls over at Bournemouth, it's time for a nasty bastard or 2.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm

is madine a hard-nut on the pitch? has anyone on here seen him play much? just cos he hit bloke in a pub doesn't mean he'd bring steel to the pitch! assumptions being made here (possibly!)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Agreed. Judge commented about how he seemed like a nice guy sober but a dick when drunk.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu May 21, 2015 7:58 pm

thebish wrote:is madine a hard-nut on the pitch? has anyone on here seen him play much? just cos he hit bloke in a pub doesn't mean he'd bring steel to the pitch! assumptions being made here (possibly!)
Well if we are judging soft cun*edness to hard bas*tardness, some questions need to be asked.

Could you hit someone in the pub?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

To me he sounds like a poor mans Andy Carroll.

Bolton have been too weak in all departments for a number of years. Perhaps a bit of a nutter (with measured aggression) is something we need. Someone to rough up opposing players and provide a bit of steel for Bolton. As long as he behaves himself off the pitch and doesn't overstep the line on it.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.