Opening day

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Opening day

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:33 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Surprised how much people are looking forward to playing Freedman's team, considering how comprehensively they f*cked us last time.

Boxing Day in Rotherham - there's the stuff of dreams.

For those of us down this end of the landmass: Pity McDons is on a Tuesday, that might make it logistically difficult; same goes for Ipswich. Relative paucity of early southern fixtures might force me to QPR, despite it being overpriced, in a shithole and an almost inevitable home win. Two Tuesday-night London aways, to Charlton and Brentford, that's gotta hurt for northerners. At least Brighton's a Saturday, although in February, so it'll be nippy. And as noted, Fulham away is a very aesthetically pleasing finale...

Boxing Day In Rotherham and Blackburn at home on the 28th will be a great Christmas.

Hope to get more games this year. Last season I just didn't have the heart. So QPR Charlton Brentford, Reading and Brighton are all on. Can't do MK as I'm on holiday. Fulham last day will be a cracker. On for that definitely.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Last season I just didn't have the heart.
Same here. And, apparently, on the pitch (except mid-Oct to mid-Jan).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:Fulham away last day of the season :pissed:
My favourite away day by a country mile. Recently we've had to play them there on a weeknight and whatnot all too often. Absolutely perfect end of season game for me, regardless of what there might be to play for. :)
The first pint is on me!
PS it's an early kick off. :wink:
Oh goody. We'd better inform the people at the Eight Bells. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
My favourite away day by a country mile. Recently we've had to play them there on a weeknight and whatnot all too often. Absolutely perfect end of season game for me, regardless of what there might be to play for. :)
And will the Rioja hot rod be fired up for Middlesbrough? :pissed:
It will indeed. Is that you reserving a spot, Harry? :)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
And will the Rioja hot rod be fired up for Middlesbrough? :pissed:
It will indeed. Is that you reserving a spot, Harry? :)
Oo yes please. Top man :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Surprised how much people are looking forward to playing Freedman's team, considering how comprehensively they f*cked us last time.

Boxing Day in Rotherham - there's the stuff of dreams.

For those of us down this end of the landmass: Pity McDons is on a Tuesday, that might make it logistically difficult; same goes for Ipswich. Relative paucity of early southern fixtures might force me to QPR, despite it being overpriced, in a shithole and an almost inevitable home win. Two Tuesday-night London aways, to Charlton and Brentford, that's gotta hurt for northerners. At least Brighton's a Saturday, although in February, so it'll be nippy. And as noted, Fulham away is a very aesthetically pleasing finale...
I'll be heading down to Brentford again. It was fantastic last season and this will be the last chance to enjoy the terraces of Griffin Park before they move.

Plus, you can go down early on the Tuesday by train and just make a day of it :pissed:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
I'm just wondering if Mrs Genshaw, Mrs Paddock and the nearly Not Mrs Bob fancy something of a bake-off? Mrs the White is currently in pole position having, over the past year, supplied me with a constant stream of utterly delicious home-made jams, marmalades and chutneys.

When it comes to accepting a bribe - I am Sepp Blatter. :)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I'm just wondering if Mrs Genshaw, Mrs Paddock and the nearly Not Mrs Bob fancy something of a bake-off? Mrs the White is currently in pole position having, over the past year, supplied me with a constant stream of utterly delicious home-made jams, marmalades and chutneys.

Never mind Mrs Genshaw, Harry himself makes a very good fruitcake....

Before we get all excited, perhaps we should seek advice from a local expert as to what visitors to Middlesbrough and surrounding environs are likely to find........
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Never mind Mrs Genshaw, Harry himself makes a very good fruitcake....

Before we get all excited, perhaps we should seek advice from a local expert as to what visitors to Middlesbrough and surrounding environs are likely to find........
Parmos. Each of us has to have one!

There isn't anything near the stadium, bar airbourne particulates!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Always Hopeless will advise. He stays in Yarm and works near Smog land 5 days a week.

Hey ..... now then .... I have an idea ....
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:16 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Always Hopeless will advise. He stays in Yarm and works near Smog land 5 days a week.

Well, if a decent nosebag's in order then I can heartily recommend The George at Piercebridge for lunch. Nowt over-the-top, but really well worth it. I think I've mentioned it on here before. In it is the 'Grandfather's clock' which is reputedly the inspiration for the song.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

About as subtle as a house brick to the face! :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 pm

It's my birthday that day and Mrs Gs just informed me we're spending that weekend in the lakes. On the upside you guys have dodged a bullet. You won't have to sample her attempts at baking :D .
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Always Hopeless will advise. He stays in Yarm and works near Smog land 5 days a week.

Well, if a decent nosebag's in order then I can heartily recommend The George at Piercebridge for lunch. Nowt over-the-top, but really well worth it. I think I've mentioned it on here before. In it is the 'Grandfather's clock' which is reputedly the inspiration for the song.
I watched us play Yeovil away in the League Cup whilst there.

A game noteworthy mostly for it being Hierro full debut.

Nice wee place. But Yarm's the place for me. Lovely village and more eateries and drinkers than are stricken necessary.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:45 am

To be honest, I'd far sooner do mk dons me self the following week. Not been to the stadium there, although MK has little if anything to recommend it.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am

Bijou Bob wrote:To be honest, I'd far sooner do mk dons me self the following week. Not been to the stadium there, although MK has little if anything to recommend it.
Roundabouts?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:10 am

MK Dons won't get a penny of my hard-earned
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:To be honest, I'd far sooner do mk dons me self the following week. Not been to the stadium there, although MK has little if anything to recommend it.
Roundabouts?
... & Michelle. Don't overlook Michelle.

... & Gill, seeing as you're asking. Oh ... & Sonja. B-Hell ... I almost forgot Sonja. :oops:

... & then there's the other delights such as Stoney Stratford, or Woburn, which is fantastic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Roundabouts?
... & Michelle. Don't overlook Michelle.

... & Gill, seeing as you're asking. Oh ... & Sonja. B-Hell ... I almost forgot Sonja. :oops:

... & then there's the other delights such as Stoney Stratford, or Woburn, which is fantastic.
Some decent nosebag in Stoney and decent golf at Woburn. Town Centre is a bit of a mare.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am

I used to work for a company based in MK. I got lost on the way in to my first meeting so rang in to tell them. Our receptionist asked me "What are you near?" My answer "Absolutely nothing of note" didn't really help.

You know the rules, Bobby. First away game, regardless as to where it is. Are you in or are you fannying out? :)

Oh, and MKD's new stadium is even more of a faceless rent-o-kit bland to the power of 10 shitpiece than Boro's.