Ram Bam, Thank You Ma'am. Derby match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Ram Bam, Thank You Ma'am. Derby match thread

Post by clapton is god » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Excellent game - really enjoyed that! Was surprised to see Prince starting but he was excellent and barring one loose header in the second half I don' t think he put a foot wrong. Madine excelled in the SKD holding role and was very unlucky late on with a majestic header. Spearing was back to his old self. My view of his sending off was limited by distance but I thought his back heel was clipped. Clough was quiet for most of the game and looked knackered when taken off. Heskey livened things up considerably when he came on for Clough and we went close several times. Overall I thought Derby edged us on a touch of class but they were prima donnas to our workhorses maybe and I can't fault anyone out there today. The crowd sensed it too as the game wore on and the atmosphere was as good as it has been for a long, long time! My pre-game anxieties are blown away. It's going to be a good season!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Just back. How good was Spearing today!? Looked back to the Jay we had when he was here on loan. Another shout to the Fresh Prince of Bolton ;). Really good debut and gives Lennon a serious headache when Derik is back.

Overall a good workman like performance. Only bad player today was Trotter who only played 5 minutes and still nearly gave the game to Derby!

Chuffed as a butty and looking forward to the season ahead.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:59 pm

It was excellent. Result and performance. To be honest until Spearing was sent off I could only see one team winning and it wasn't Derby.

The standouts were Prince, Spearing and for me Heskey. We looked a better side when Heskey came on and Derby's defence looked shaky. Clough wasn't great really. Looked like he wasn't really ready for this and was knocked off the ball too often.

I think Madine looked happier with Heskey up there with him. Feeney worked very hard.

The midfield just about worked. Spearing was excellent, Danns was Danns and Pratley grafted like always. I think it is risky being so narrow though, it left us with little outlet most of the game and I personally think it means you can't find a pattern of play. It worked today though, so what do I know?
Nice to have a natural right and left back and certainly helped the back four look far more solid.

One complaint, Lennon said we hadn't worked on set pieces the other week, well it showed. Our corners and free kicks were on the whole, poor. Need to work on the delivery of those because we wasted good chances with poor deliveries or stupid short stuff that didn't work.

Overall though, if we play like that every game this season we will challenge the top half easily.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Happy with a point, very happy with the performance. Only Clough and Danns for me came out with less than 7 or 8 out of ten - I still think Zach's best position is off the shoulder of the last defender rather than point man in midfield, and Danns made a fair few poor choices in possession - but I think they will come good.

Spearing's is a debatable one. There definitely wasn't any contact, it looked like a dive to me, but Mrs TW thinks he just lost his footing. I'd need to see a decent replay...

Play like that the rest of the season, and we will be challenging for the the play-offs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:It was a second yellow
It was fecking ridiculous, that's what it was. Spearing broke, at speed, through a crowd of player in their box and either tripped over the ball, his own feet, or under his own momentum. What he most certainly didn't do was attempt to claim a penalty for hit. Furthermore, why would he have gone down on purpose when he was through on goal?

Now then, he was definitely shown a yellow card before the red. If he'd been shown a yellow earlier in the game then I can't remember it. However, a further theory (Leverend's) is that he was given an immediate 2nd yellow for something he said to the ref when he booked him for diving.

Either way, it was a shocking decision that put us under enormous pressure for the last 10 minutes.

New boy Prince, by the way - the most commanding debut I've seen since Faye's against Arsenal.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
It was fecking ridiculous, that's what it was. Spearing broke, at speed, through a crowd of player in their box and either tripped over the ball, his own feet, or under his own momentum. What he most certainly didn't do was attempt to claim a penalty for hit. Furthermore, why would he have gone down on purpose when he was through on goal?

Now then, he was definitely shown a yellow card before the red. If he'd been shown a yellow earlier in the game then I can't remember it. However, a further theory (Leverend's) is that he was given an immediate 2nd yellow for something he said to the ref when he booked him for diving.

Either way, it was a shocking decision that put us under enormous pressure for the last 10 minutes.

New boy Prince, by the way - the most commanding debut I've seen since Faye's against Arsenal.
Spearing was booked first half for a mistimed challenge. That was harsh in my view too.

The second was as you say exactly, a disgrace of a decision. Can't even appeal a second yellow can you? Referee had a shocking second half.

Glad to have Spearing back at seemingly his best though.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Spearing was definitely booked earlier on, for a high foot challenge. His red was disappointing, because we were on top and Jay had had an absolute stormer of a game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Spearing was booked first half for a mistimed challenge. That was harsh in my view too.
Ahh, cheers. I remember us getting a soft booking (the ref din't book anyone for the next two which were far more serious, one for each side) but didn't realise that it was Spearing.

Perhaps had we had a scoreboard then we'd all have known.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Another thing, Moxey had a very good game. I think he's starting to regain some form. Looked solid.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Sounds like a really good solid start! Rock on Lenny and the team! :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Pretty obvious that everybody we play knows we're prone to conceeding in the last five minutes. Only way to make it change is being two up with five to play, or stop dropping back en masse. If two players hung round the halfway line the opposition might not be quite as keen on visiting with the whole family. We do seem to make it a bit obvious that we worry.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Another thing, Moxey had a very good game. I think he's starting to regain some form. Looked solid.

Spot on. Played really well and even when he made a mistake he chased down and rectified it.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:28 pm

From WP Moxey,Spearing, Prince, Feeney and even Heskey sounded good!

Chuffed for Jay, sounded our best player!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Another thing, Moxey had a very good game. I think he's starting to regain some form. Looked solid.
The best I've seen him play, but still makes some very questionable decisions.

I'll tell you what, when I compare how I feel just now to the way I felt driving home from Watford on last season's opening day - well, if today is as accurate a pointer as to how this season will map out as the Watford game was on last - Bring it :D

Oh, Derby's boy Hughes who was stretchered off - he went down clutching the back of his right leg and was clearly in some pain. I hope he's OK and that it's nothing more than a hamstring, but they did put it in a splint.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:30 pm

when he replaced Pratley with Trotter I was like :pray:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:35 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:when he replaced Pratley with Trotter I was like :pray:

He'd only been on for a split second before putting them through 4 on 2!

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:48 pm

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:51 pm

well I hope thats given some hope and cheer to the doom mongers

thought they slightly shaded the 1st half and us the 2nd. We were putting a cracking period of pressure together, up until the ref decided to book and send off spearing for tripping over the ball. Spearing reborn, Madine (won every header), Moxey take a bow. Prince take 2 bows - fantastic debut, quick, strong, positive. Thought we we a bit narrow and slightly unbalanced with Pratters left midfield, but they all put in a real shift.

It was good enough to get the crowd going - best atmosphere for a while.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Sticking my neck out here but I predict no "nil" involved in the scoreline.

Also that it'll be better than recent season opening performances.
Well ... shows what the fck I know !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I was truly impressed by the Prince. Long my he reign. To think that h's 21years old and only met the squad on
Wednesday or Thursday that was remarkable.

Liked the look of Wilson. An actual, real full back ... & he can cross.

Madine was solid and promising ... and unfortunate.
I was amazed at Heskey when he came on. Completely turned the game and was a revelation.

... and Trotter also. I was amazed that he DID come on and he damn-near turned the game, only in his case for Derby. The sooner we stop pretending he has a clue the better.

Overall not bad, not bad at all.

Given that we have Wheater, Ream & Derik missing from there then that all looks pretty good.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".