Ram Bam, Thank You Ma'am. Derby match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ram Bam, Thank You Ma'am. Derby match thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Might be unpopular but...

I think Spearing, who hasn't got a left foot, went down far too easily. Or, in old money, "dived".

Put it this way: had Ince gone down after that much contact from Dervite, we'd have been crucifying him.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Might be unpopular but...

I think Spearing, who hasn't got a left foot, went down far too easily. Or, in old money, "dived".
I thought it was a fairly poor piece of theatre, though I've only seen the Sky Sports angle.

Otherwise it was a very optimistic opener, albeit we didn't win. Cracking!

Roll on QPR.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 pm

malcd1 wrote:
jaffka wrote:Good performances all around, maybe the only disappointment was Clough but he is young and we have great hope and expectation of him and he looks so good on the ball.
A few people have commented on Clough having a poor game. Do you think it is due to him missing part of pre-season and so not fully match fit or is he a marked man?
Personally I think that playing him at the top of the diamond plays him too deep. I'd have him running off of the last defender.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:16 pm

It sounds like we really did play well and deserved something out of the game.

What is good to see is we have a plan B available as we had a midfield attacking or defensive option on the bench. Albeit maybe limited with Trotter.

Don't want to jinx it but Spearing is playing for a contract this year and I personally believe he'll put in the effort.

Heskey running through the defence like a hot knife through butter. Brilliant! :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:54 pm

freeindeed wrote:
As usual pipped by the early bird.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:47 pm

I was surprised (well, more fckg stunned tbh) to see the midfield being shored up for that last 10m.by the liability called Trotter when Vela was left on the bench.

If they'd scored from his wall pass to one of theirs those highlights may well have included the sight of Charlie Corolli's lookalike striding across the pitch in his size 22's to throw a bucket of confetti at him and then do the herring face-slapping dance on him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I was surprised (well, more fckg stunned tbh) to see the midfield being shored up for that last 10m.by the liability called Trotter when Vela was left on the bench.

If they'd scored from his wall pass to one of theirs those highlights may well have included the sight of Charlie Corolli's lookalike striding across the pitch in his size 22's to throw a bucket of confetti at him and then do the herring face-slapping dance on him.
Yes I didn't get it at all. Vela was the obvious choice to come on.

Mildly worrying that Vela was overlooked, given I'd make him arguably our best all round midfield player. I hope that Lennon will give him a chance in midfield as I do think he needs games there if he is ever to be considered a real asset on the books.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Maybe he thinks Vela doesn't yet have the experienced street-smarts to see out a game

Mind you, Trotter certainly doesn't

Early days but it sounds like Lennon might be following his Pratley trick with maximising Moxey

Maybe Trotter's a miracle too far to ask

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm

There was a quiet disbelief about that change but Trotter is tall and maybe that was the thinking about being better able to deal with any desperate long high balls launched into the box. He was certainly under instructions to stay back as he stayed near the back 4 when Madine was holding the ball in the corner at the end.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 pm

I think it was literally 'Oh you're tall, get on'. All our noteworthy attempts were headers and we pretty much dominated in the air all game.

Happy with a point, but do feel we're short of a goalscorer. Really good performances from Spearing and Prince spoiled slightly by the former (rightly) getting sent off and the latter not bothering to mark Johnny Russell when he hit the bar.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I think it was literally 'Oh you're tall, get on'. All our noteworthy attempts were headers and we pretty much dominated in the air all game.

Happy with a point, but do feel we're short of a goalscorer. Really good performances from Spearing and Prince spoiled slightly by the former (rightly) getting sent off and the latter not bothering to mark Johnny Russell when he hit the bar.
Incredibly harsh on Spearing and Prince. Russell dropped back into space. Very difficult and the problem was Pratley being slack on the left far more than Prince.

Spearing didn't even appeal for a foul. How can anyone say he dived for sure? To me he looked like he stumbled and fell.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I think it was literally 'Oh you're tall, get on'. All our noteworthy attempts were headers and we pretty much dominated in the air all game.

Incredibly harsh on Spearing and Prince. Russell dropped back into space. Very difficult and the problem was Pratley being slack on the left far more than Prince.

Spearing didn't even appeal for a foul. How can anyone say he dived for sure? To me he looked like he stumbled and fell.
I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. The lack of the appeal said a lot, Derby players telling the ref he didn't dive and you see he started to lose balance after the change of direction that got him through.
He had a great game until then, very pleased for him. Also delighted for Moxey a year after watching his debut at Watford with dismay. He defended brilliantly yesterday.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:30 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Great highlights!
You missed the real thing pw, it was a long long day but worth every penny and every minute, and to add to that, watching the wolves fans glare at me in my Bolton shirt at their train station. Best game and atmosphere for me in 2 seasons.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

No he didn't. Before the ball goes towards the half-way line Prince physically has hold of Russell. Then as the move progresses he just drifts away from him. There's no clever movement from Russell, he just stands there. By the time the ball reaches him Prince is six yards away.

I like him, I'm just saying it's early days. Then again, if he continues to look composed while giving away goalscoring chances every game, he'll probably win player of the season.

For Spearing, I think it's obvious he was looking for a penalty, regardless of whether he appealed or not. Again in general I thought he was very good and it was a reminder that he's still one of our better players, but going down like that needless and killed the momentum we'd been building up to that point.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Also, I'm a long-term fan of Devite anyway, but I reckon that having someone as solid as The Prince next to him meant that he could simply concentrate on his own game today, and to great effect too.
Yep, it's amazing what having somebody who can actually move and win his share of headers does the for the partner.

Imagine Ream against Martin or Ince today? Sorry, but absolutely zero room for him if the others stay fit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:34 am

malcd1 wrote:
jaffka wrote:Good performances all around, maybe the only disappointment was Clough but he is young and we have great hope and expectation of him and he looks so good on the ball.
A few people have commented on Clough having a poor game. Do you think it is due to him missing part of pre-season and so not fully match fit or is he a marked man?
He's a little genius and we have to be patient during matches. The only time the man markers lost him, he came off the right flank, beat his man with a stepover and took 3 players out of the game with one beautiful left footed threaded pass. Spearing maybe could've done better but was stretching in his wrong foot after a heavyish touch.

He'll have moments in every game where he does something that makes you go wow

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Might be unpopular but...

Put it this way: had Ince gone down after that much contact from Dervite, we'd have been crucifying him.
In realtime you'd think differently. As he burst through his head was down and he clearly just fell forwards in that force of gravity type way when your body shape isn't right. Bit like that road rage fella chasing the bike

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:02 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Ream didn't even make the squad today, Barnetto, so there could well be some fire to the QPR smoke.
Came back from the States with a dead leg. And Neil had specifically requested a bag of Hershey's chocolate kisses.
How did he get that through customs?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:47 am

Said it might be unpopular...

Broad question: is it only a dive if it's followed by an appeal? I'd say not necessarily – maybe he remembered he was already on a yellow and didn't fancy another for dissent – but I'm perfectly happy for others to disagree.

I maintain that if he'd really wanted to – say he'd been clean through the middle, or with a shot on his right foot - he'd have stayed on his feet.

We'll never know, but that's my opinion.