Capital One Cup first round - Burton (H) this tuesday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Capital One Cup first round - Burton (H) this tuesday

Post by ChrisC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Enjoyable enough game just lacked that cutting edge/final ball.

Disagree with Chris re Holding. A very assured performance I thought. So much so, can we flog Ream if there's a genuine offer on the table and buy a striker?
Maybe I was mixing him up? Don't remember him winning a header all game. Also played a few dangerous balls across the back line which almost got intercepted.

Maybe I'm just being harsh 8)

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:26 am

Thought Holding had a very good debut game, not sure why he's being singled-out...

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:06 am

Can't score AND conceding late goals? Worse than last season! Lenny out!

In all seriousness, unless Madine used up his best efforts during pre-season, I think we'll be fine. We will not miss so many chances every game, and there will be games where humiliate other teams on the scoreboard. With the defence looking more competent too, I can only look up from here.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 am

I guess that's "exactly what we needed" :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 am

I think there are a few questions for Lennon to answer. Why play with no wingers? Why did Heskey not come on earlier? Why is Dobbie a Bolton player? Why is Feeney playing up front and Clough in midfield?

There were some odd choices last night. For Derby I can understand the system. But last night I think trying to continuously go through the middle wasn't a great idea. Clough showed some nice touches but I think he'd be better higher up the pitch.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:12 am

Mar wrote: maybe getting one in for long term aims would be better than our current loan short termism that's seen us miss out on jutkiewicz and le fondre.
Both of them scored goals that arguably kept us in the league

If you reckon you can find a couple of kids for peanuts who we can turn into the likes of them, you crack on, lad

Unfortunately, there's every chance we'll be in Division 4 before we see 'em play
Sto ut Serviam

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:14 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Mar wrote: maybe getting one in for long term aims would be better than our current loan short termism that's seen us miss out on jutkiewicz and le fondre.

If you reckon you can find a couple of kids for peanuts who we can turn into the likes of them, you crack on, lad

Unfortunately, there's every chance we'll be in Division 4 before we see 'em play
"We'd would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky strikers."

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:36 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:

Successful strikers are probably the easiest players to sell on for good money. Unfortunately for us we've got this policy of loaning in strikers instead of getting a good striker in permanently. It's almost as if the only way we'll be likely to keep hold of a loan striker is if their season is a bit hit and miss (see Joe Mason for example).

I'm not expecting us to be able to find them for peanuts but surely we can't keep expecting a loan striker to come in and keep us in the division every year. Sooner or later the loan striker we bring in won't do the job and we'll end up with a bigger problem to solve.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 am

Mar wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Successful strikers are probably the easiest players to sell on for good money. Unfortunately for us we've got this policy of loaning in strikers instead of getting a good striker in permanently. It's almost as if the only way we'll be likely to keep hold of a loan striker is if their season is a bit hit and miss (see Joe Mason for example).

I'm not expecting us to be able to find them for peanuts but surely we can't keep expecting a loan striker to come in and keep us in the division every year. Sooner or later the loan striker we bring in won't do the job and we'll end up with a bigger problem to solve.
We're not going to be able to spend the sort of money needed to buy a proven goalscorer. Look at Gayle, hardly proven and a £6M fee. We might have the money to unearth a gem but that is back to whether there are any brilliant undiscovered strikers out there ready to come and score goals now. I'm sure Lennon will want Hooper and I'm also sure there would be zero chance of us getting him on anything other than a loan deal.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

We have Woolery

We have Eaves

We have Wilkinson

Its not that we don't want to buy/develop our own strikers

Its just we're up against 91 other clubs with the same idea
Sto ut Serviam

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

We're not going to be able to spend the sort of money needed to buy a proven goalscorer. Look at Gayle, hardly proven and a £6M fee. We might have the money to unearth a gem but that is back to whether there are any brilliant undiscovered strikers out there ready to come and score goals now. I'm sure Lennon will want Hooper and I'm also sure there would be zero chance of us getting him on anything other than a loan deal.
Neither Juke or Le Fondre would have cost £8m.

Just saying.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Loyal White wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

Just saying.
...and we couldn't afford either of them.

Just saying.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Loyal White wrote:

Just saying.
No. But we still couldn't afford them. Iles and Nixon both saying Lennon won't see the full fee for Ream. So a fee of £2M (if we get that). Lets say Lennon sees half (which might be generous here) plus Ream's wages. Lets say that leaves you with a budget of ~£2M to spend on any fee and wages. Lennon will want a left back out of that too.

Le Fondre and Juke still sit outside that budget.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm still trying to work out how Madine managed to get that header onto the bar...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm still trying to work out how Madine managed to get that header onto the bar...
With consummate ease it looked to me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Enoch wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I'm still trying to work out how Madine managed to get that header onto the bar...
That was the worrying bit....think they've done too much crossbar challenge in training?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Enoch wrote:
That was the worrying bit....think they've done too much crossbar challenge in training?
Whatever it was I hope it's not chronic. I've got him down for at least a dozen.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm

Wasn't there talk of one of our strikers last year erm hitting the bar too often?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Wasn't there talk of one of our strikers last year erm hitting the bar too often?
:lol:

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:21 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I think there are a few questions for Lennon to answer. Why play with no wingers? Why did Heskey not come on earlier? Why is Dobbie a Bolton player? Why is Feeney playing up front and Clough in midfield?

There were some odd choices last night. For Derby I can understand the system. But last night I think trying to continuously go through the middle wasn't a great idea. Clough showed some nice touches but I think he'd be better higher up the pitch.
I can't really blame him for trying Feeney out up front after his performances pre-season, but Clough as an attacking mid does strike me as odd. As you say he's got some nice touches, but I think he's more of a "sit on the shoulder" striker.
I still wonder if he's waiting for Clayton to come back and then to form a front three with Clayton and Clough flanking Madine (not as wingers but as supporting strikers). Would make sense with the midfield setup we've used with Pratley, Danns and Vela/Spearing across the middle. With Clayton offering some width it could offer some flexibility but aiming to put out a 4-3-3 does offer an explanation as to why we've not attempted to source any wide players in the summer... If needs be in a match you could bring Feeney on the right and change it a 4-4-1-1 with Clayton moving further left as well.