Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16842
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:49 am

Not sure whether folk are confused by the McDons thread, mystified by the Burton match or transfixed by the Timmy transfer, but there's a game on tomorrow, up in smogland.

Plenty of Lennon quotes to catch up on, all from the good ol' BN.
(On Boro's spending power)
You can never be envious in football. Going into this club we had our eyes wide open, we knew the situation and we work within the parameters. I’m sure it’s great for the Middlesbrough fans to see a chairman - who’s been fantastic for them down the years - having a right good go.

But with it comes an expectation. You spend all that money and there is a pressure to perform too. We know our situation and we deal with it.

Whether you spend nothing on a player or £15million on a player you still need to do the background work, although at £15m you basically know what you’re going to get.

Sometimes we’re a little bit in the dark – but we do our homework and make sure they’ve been consistently on the pitch, that their playing record is good, and then their ability.

We’ve found some players we’re pleased with – Gary Madine, Prince, a good goalkeeper in Ben Amos. We’re happy with the improvement we’ve made on the recruitment side, and there will be another one or two coming in to augment that as well.

(On playing Boro after Burton)
We’re looking forward to it because I feel we’re playing well, despite the result on Tuesday night. Having looked at the volume of chances we created, it was more than I’d even thought at the time.

The attitude was good, the football was good, and I couldn’t really have asked much more of my players than I got. The only thing that was missing was putting the ball in the back of the net to put us in the next round.

We didn’t deserve to lose the game. I’ve watched other clubs in the Championship who’ve gone out, and deserve to do that. But we played pretty well.

We need to look at personnel for this [Boro] game. We’ll be under pressure and we’ll have to do some work on how we want to approach it. The players are in a good place and I don’t think the result on Tuesday will affect them. If they maintain the standards they have set so far then they’ll be okay.

I’ll be sitting and watching the [League Cup] draw thinking ‘it should be us’ so in that sense it’s disappointing but in my eyes we deserved to win the game so I have to be philosophical about it. I can’t rant and rave. I’m over it already – my focus is on Middlesbrough. If we’d deserved to be beaten then I could handle it; I’d be far angrier or more disappointed.

But the fact we played well gives me some encouragement. We didn’t take our chances, and our finishing has to be better. But I said to the players at half-time that the only team that will beat us was us, and I think that’s how it proved to be.

The most important thing in football is putting the ball in the back of the net. I can’t do that for them, as much as I’d like to at times, and the crowd would do as well, so we’ve got to improve on our finishing pretty quickly.

Some players have got to get up to speed – and hopefully the result against Burton will be a little nudge for one or two of them.

(On defenders)
I looked at Dorian [Dervite, when he got a facial injury vs Burton] and thought ‘please don’t come off’ because I’ve got three centre-halves injured already and I couldn’t be doing with another one. He’s been excellent for us, he’s playing really well, so hopefully Prince will be okay too and we’ll be back to something like full strength for the weekend.

[Rob Holding] played well, looked assured, I didn’t think there were any faults in his game. But there’s competition – you’ve got Tim Ream [sic], Derik Osede, Prince, Dorian Dervite, David Wheater all in contention for that place.

But he can play at full-back, he’s played there before, and he can be very pleased with how he played against Burton. There were a few players who didn’t deserve to be on the losing side and Rob was definitely one of them.

jaffka
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8439
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: uk

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 am

Tough match and their first match of the season at home.

A draw would be great.

MMConeboro
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by MMConeboro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 am

Now then lads, if any of you are planning on coming up to the game tomorrow, let me know! myself and a friend are doing matchday interviews at the ground this season and would be nice to get some views from opposition fans before (and maybe after) the game!

Best of luck for the rest of the season after tomorrow (and when we play at yours, can't be arsed looking it up).

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 am


Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1881
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:00 am

When reading quotes from NL, does anyone else read 'em internally in a Norn Iron accent?

Anyway, I think we'll dick 'em 0-2. Madine & Feeney

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by twilight » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:10 am

I'm going...Had to go to this as I can't make another game until at least mid - late September and I always go to the first away match...think we'll lose

freeindeed
Promising
Promising
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by freeindeed » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: [Rob Holding] played well, looked assured,

But he can play at full-back, he’s played there before, and he can be very pleased with how he played against Burton. There were a few players who didn’t deserve to be on the losing side and Rob was definitely one of them.
Is that left back anyone? Potentially earmarked as cover for Moxey in Reams absence?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12967
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:16 pm

I reckon we'll get shat on.. 3-0
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:58 pm

I'll be out for a lengthy lunch, and so as to enjoy it will be avoiding goings on in Smogsville altogether. When we depart the restaurant I'll be half cut, so accordingly won't be all that bothered when we've been dicked 4-0.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37588
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:01 am
Location: In my armchair

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 pm

I see your 3-0 and your 4-0 and I raise you a 5-0!
Some people are like Slinkies … not really good for anything, but you can’t help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:07 pm

thebish wrote:I see your 3-0 and your 4-0 and I raise you a 5-0!
I think we have a 6 on the telephones ;)

Image
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:19 pm

A few points:

Boro only narrowly beat us at their place last season.

This year they're missing Bamford, Vossen and Tomlin, three key attacking players from last season.

They've got Downing, but he still needs time to adjust to this division. There's no telling how he will fare.

Kike is just a big lump at the end of the day, who we can deal with if our CBs are on their game.

Moreover, they were far from their best at PNE last weekend, which suggests they're going to take a bit of time to get ahead of steam.

Furthermore, Playoff final hangover, anyone?

Lastly, are we all forgetting how well we played against Derby? We shut them out easily.

I think we can get a point.

MMConeboro
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by MMConeboro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Jugs wrote:A few points:

Boro only narrowly beat us at their place last season.

This year they're missing Bamford, Vossen and Tomlin, three key attacking players from last season.

They've got Downing, but he still needs time to adjust to this division. There's no telling how he will fare.

Kike is just a big lump at the end of the day, who we can deal with if our CBs are on their game.

Moreover, they were far from their best at PNE last weekend, which suggests they're going to take a bit of time to get ahead of steam.

Furthermore, Playoff final hangover, anyone?

Lastly, are we all forgetting how well we played against Derby? We shut them out easily.

I think we can get a point.
Aye but we have Stuani (scored 2 on his first start on Wednesday) and we signed Nugent about an hour ago, expect a more potent attack this time round :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12967
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm

And so beautifully timed.

Nugent has signed for Boro.. Word is, he's heading straight onto their side for tomorrow.

'Sake
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Xanadu

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by jmjhb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:02 pm

How do we have so many injuries already?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16842
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:06 pm

ISTR a few on here saying we shouldn't sign Nugent

Mind you times have changed

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:13 pm

MMConeboro wrote:
Jugs wrote:A few points:

Boro only narrowly beat us at their place last season.

This year they're missing Bamford, Vossen and Tomlin, three key attacking players from last season.

They've got Downing, but he still needs time to adjust to this division. There's no telling how he will fare.

Kike is just a big lump at the end of the day, who we can deal with if our CBs are on their game.

Moreover, they were far from their best at PNE last weekend, which suggests they're going to take a bit of time to get ahead of steam.

Furthermore, Playoff final hangover, anyone?

Lastly, are we all forgetting how well we played against Derby? We shut them out easily.

I think we can get a point.
Aye but we have Stuani (scored 2 on his first start on Wednesday) and we signed Nugent about an hour ago, expect a more potent attack this time round :wink:
Meh, Nugent is okay, but he's rarely scored more than 15 in a season, despite playing lots of games.

Moreover, a lot of his goals have come from pens: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'm not massively worried just yet :D

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Boro are spending a lot, though. It reminds me of the 94/95 season when we went up with them and Bryan Robson was pretty much given a blank cheque. Is this still the same owner?

MMConeboro
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by MMConeboro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Jugs wrote:
MMConeboro wrote:
Jugs wrote:A few points:

Boro only narrowly beat us at their place last season.

This year they're missing Bamford, Vossen and Tomlin, three key attacking players from last season.

They've got Downing, but he still needs time to adjust to this division. There's no telling how he will fare.

Kike is just a big lump at the end of the day, who we can deal with if our CBs are on their game.

Moreover, they were far from their best at PNE last weekend, which suggests they're going to take a bit of time to get ahead of steam.

Furthermore, Playoff final hangover, anyone?

Lastly, are we all forgetting how well we played against Derby? We shut them out easily.

I think we can get a point.
Aye but we have Stuani (scored 2 on his first start on Wednesday) and we signed Nugent about an hour ago, expect a more potent attack this time round :wink:
Meh, Nugent is okay, but he's rarely scored more than 15 in a season, despite playing lots of games.

Moreover, a lot of his goals have come from pens: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I'm not massively worried just yet :D
Fair play, whilst he does score a lot from pens he got as many assists in his last season in the championship than Vossen, Kike and Bamford got combined last season.

He could be brilliant or awful, but I guess we won't find out till he plays. I like the guy, gives us a bit of pace and strength up front.

MMConeboro
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by MMConeboro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Jugs wrote:Boro are spending a lot, though. It reminds me of the 94/95 season when we went up with them and Bryan Robson was pretty much given a blank cheque. Is this still the same owner?
Steve Gibson has owned the club since we almost went into liquidation in 86.

This season is the first time we've had much money to spend after Strachan brought in the Celtic and Rangers combined second XI on 30k a week each in 2010. We've been cleaning up his mess since.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: truewhite15 and 2 guests