Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am

Love the "It worked for Liverpool" line.

Now, we didn't win either of those games, did we. Even with Boggers pulling off "worldie" after "worldie".

Unless this is him admitting we went to the Riverside to defend and get a 0-0.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:49 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:Love the "It worked for Liverpool" line.

Now, we didn't win either of those games, did we. Even with Boggers pulling off "worldie" after "worldie".

Unless this is him admitting we went to the Riverside to defend and get a 0-0.
Yes and you could use similar logic to say playing Matt Mills up front worked in the home game against Liverpool (until the end). But it isn't something we ever repeated.

bobby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bobby » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
If Danns left us, he'd have to drop a division, as he wouldn't get anywhere near another championship side. That's worrying for me, that we've got some players in our team who aren't even Championship standard
Worrying but not surprising. We're probably paying wages equivalent to league one level in some cases.
Totally agree.
Danns is a complete liability and a burden on the rest of the team. He offers little going forward and Zat-like disaster zone in our own half. He clearly sees himself as a flair player but he isn't, just runs and tackles like a tart. Get rid ASAP along with Trotter and replace them with academy prospects.

Onto the game itself... We were outclassed by a team who had a good season last time and spent big over summer, so no shame in that.
I'm not even overly concerned with the 3 at the back and Heskey up front.. Let's use these matches to test new systems and see what works and doesn't (although this should be done mostly in training I would assume).
I'm more concerned to see how we shape up against MK Dons, who we really should be beating, and how Lennon puts his players to best use.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am

Keep a clean sheet the week before against Derby... don't fcuk with that back 4. It's not difficult.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:31 am

bobby wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
If Danns left us, he'd have to drop a division, as he wouldn't get anywhere near another championship side. That's worrying for me, that we've got some players in our team who aren't even Championship standard
Worrying but not surprising. We're probably paying wages equivalent to league one level in some cases.
Totally agree.
Danns is a complete liability and a burden on the rest of the team. He offers little going forward and Zat-like disaster zone in our own half. He clearly sees himself as a flair player but he isn't, just runs and tackles like a tart. Get rid ASAP along with Trotter and replace them with academy prospects.

Onto the game itself... We were outclassed by a team who had a good season last time and spent big over summer, so no shame in that.
I'm not even overly concerned with the 3 at the back and Heskey up front.. Let's use these matches to test new systems and see what works and doesn't (although this should be done mostly in training I would assume).
I'm more concerned to see how we shape up against MK Dons, who we really should be beating, and how Lennon puts his players to best use.
Not sure about this, mate.

Testing it out in matches and seeing what doesn't work and then trailing 3-0 at h/t leaves the players and the staff feeling jittery for Tuesday away to MK Dons. Rather than going there with a bit of confidence, they're going there knowing they have to rectify such an abject performance. Which puts pressure on them.

Leaving a game facing a whole load of questions can't be good for morale or confidence.

I agree about Danns, though. It was pointed out to me yesterday that he was offered a contract extension in January earlier this year, after he'd been doing 'alright' alongside Pratley. If only we had waited.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 am

Perhaps it is just me but I see it being quite hard to justify "MK Dons are the sort of side we should be beating" type statements. Every side in this division will see a game at home against us as a must win. We are not one of the big boys anymore.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:44 am

If we play anything like we did on Saturday, against MK Dons, we will lose. Hopefully Lennon and the players have got it out of their system. Unfortunately I haven't yet!! And I've still got a blummin headache from the lad at the back of me shouting "we only hate Leeds scum" at the back of me about 3 thousand times!!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Perhaps it is just me but I see it being quite hard to justify "MK Dons are the sort of side we should be beating" type statements. Every side in this division will see a game at home against us as a must win. We are not one of the big boys anymore.
Absolutely... Especially seeing as they lost their previous home game.

they're good going forward, but we have to be braver and defend on the front foot - They are beatable, even by us, but only if we're on-it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"