Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hover through the fog and filthy air: Boro (A) 15.8.15

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:39 pm

Jugs wrote:I'm really not keen on these changes up top.

Dougie used to change his team all the time and look where that got us.

I'll say it again and again, but when Burnley got promoted 2 years ago they stuck to the same team unless a change was enforced.

I'm not saying this team won't get us a result, but I'd like to see a consistent line-up.
Know what you mean Jugs but it's horses for courses. I think Ferguson went about two-and-a-half years without picking the same XI for two consecutive matches, and the fans seemed happy enough as the trophies rolled in. If it fails you're a tinkerman, if it works you're a genius.

Put it this way: I'd rather he changed formation every week than keep picking the same formation/lineup that plainly isn't working.

By the way, Mark Davies is today's captain.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jugs wrote:I'm really not keen on these changes up top.

Dougie used to change his team all the time and look where that got us.

I'll say it again and again, but when Burnley got promoted 2 years ago they stuck to the same team unless a change was enforced.

I'm not saying this team won't get us a result, but I'd like to see a consistent line-up.
Know what you mean Jugs but it's horses for courses. I think Ferguson went about two-and-a-half years without picking the same XI for two consecutive matches, and the fans seemed happy enough as the trophies rolled in. If it fails you're a tinkerman, if it works you're a genius.

Put it this way: I'd rather he changed formation every week than keep picking the same formation/lineup that plainly isn't working.

By the way, Mark Davies is today's captain.
Aye but rotation just doesn't seem to work for us, and perhaps it doesn't work in this divison (look at Leicester's consistent line-up when they went up). Teams here don't have the strength in depth that Ferguson had, and the margin for error is quite slim.

Changing both our attackers has surprised me, despite drawing blanks in our first two games. We can only see what happens but I'll put it out there I don't think rotation will work. If it does, I'm happy to be wrong.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Jugs wrote:Changing both our attackers has surprised me, despite drawing blanks in our first two games. We can only see what happens but I'll put it out there I don't think rotation will work. If it does, I'm happy to be wrong.
If they're not scoring, they probably need a break, especially against a tougher test. No goals three games in a row might start to get confidence-sapping. Take them out of the firing line, put an experienced head in there, stick 'em on at the end to nick a few. They might even be hungrier/more focussed for the next game.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Yeah, fair enough Jugs. I'm keener that we change formation (as necessary) rather than personnel, but sometimes players play better in one formation than others.

For the record, Iles thinks it'll be 3-5-2 with Vela as right wingback and Feeney "off" Heskey. But that seems to be his opinion/guess rather than a wink tipped by the staff.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Jugs wrote:Changing both our attackers has surprised me, despite drawing blanks in our first two games. We can only see what happens but I'll put it out there I don't think rotation will work. If it does, I'm happy to be wrong.
If they're not scoring, they probably need a break, especially against a tougher test. No goals three games in a row might start to get confidence-sapping. Take them out of the firing line, put an experienced head in there, stick 'em on at the end to nick a few. They might even be hungrier/more focussed for the next game.
Blimey, we've only played one league game. This seems straight out of the Dougie handbook tbh.
Last edited by Jugs on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Interesting list here of number of players used per team per season. In last season's Championship we were second highest to comedy club Blackpool, while Bournemouth were lowest, and that makes sense - desperate idea-flinging on the one side, on the other "if it ain't bust..."

Promoted Watford mid-table in terms of players used, as were QPR the year before – showing it can go either way, although I'll admit they're unusual cases.

http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/T ... yers_Used/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting list here of number of players used per team per season. In last season's Championship we were second highest to comedy club Blackpool, while Bournemouth were lowest, and that makes sense - desperate idea-flinging on the one side, on the other "if it ain't bust..."

Promoted Watford mid-table in terms of players used, as were QPR the year before – showing it can go either way, although I'll admit they're unusual cases.

http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/T ... yers_Used/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty much an upside down final table. It figures.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:06 pm

A shot from Downing well saved, a corner to them and another fizzer very close. Prince sold Amos s bit short and gave away another corner. Mostly all Boro right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Fabrini brought down and a free kick 30? out. And...Downing short but cleared by Moxey. They come again and the earth shakes as Heskey falls just before we go 1-0 down to Fabrini. Not the best start.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Great. This could be a long 90 minutes.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

was one of them where no one could do much about!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:was one of them where no one could do much about!
We always seem to concede those types of goals.


TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Fabrini lashed a 25 yarder in and we do win something..a goal kick. Whites " a yard off the pace" sayeth the man. Throw us and....we have a couple of passes before our man mithers about Bury as if we care. Boro sound well in charge right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 pm

I don't like 3 at the back. I think at the best of times it is a system that is hard to make work. But our players definitely don't suit it. Not sure why Lennon persists with it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:15 pm

And....Davies....Moxey and...a rash challenge from Ledbitter on Davies gets us a free kick. And.....Spearing and not a good one but....it breaks down. Goal kick them. We actually got to their box then. Commentator seems more interested in other scores than the game. Now they sally at us and.....Dervite blocks very well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Corner them and....Downing gets a blocked shot in. Doesn't sound like we're at the races so far. Downing's had about three goes and Fabrini sounds like he's going to...he is. 2-0 Was actually Pigue?

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:21 pm

2-0 with 38% of the possession. Looking promising!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Why break up the back four that worked so well last week for a three at the back that we've seen time and time again doesn't work. Just madness. The idea that 3 is better away from home baffles me. You end up with 5 at the back and nobody in midfield.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Moxey corner and....lobs it to the keeper. And now.....Adoma, Fabrini...Adoma offside. "Comedy of errors by Bolton" the man says. Round about now we need a magical reshuffle and really worry them....ahem. And we get a corner again. And....they clear for a throw. Moxey, cleared, Spearing, cleared again and....they go, we clear. Come on, it's only two....oh, Heskey bites the dust again.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Anyone playing particularly poorly? Or just a bad structure?