Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:None of this would've happened if we'd given a contract to Alan Ball.
Or had got Pele in as Manager!
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Reid was looking to move as we looked unlikely to be an established top division club. Arsenal offered us £660k, Wolves offered £600k but better wages. They'd not long sold Steve Daley for £1m (wtf !!) & the Arse were in their George Graham 1-0 days so not quite the attraction they became.

Reid fancied the greater wage. He protested as we preferred wanting the greater sale price. These were pre-Bosman days and so long as we offered a new contract at no less than the previous one a player couldn't demand a move.

He threatened strike action but was injured by a wild kick from George Wood the Everton keeper in a snow ridden pitch with a rock hard Burnden surface in a game on New Year's Day 1979.

He knackered his cruciate and was out for the best part of a year ... during which time his contract expired yet we offered him a new one, which he accepted.

On his return he immediately found his stride and performed well. But after a short period Pedro Richards, Notts County full back, went right through him in a tackle close the the dug-outs at the Manny Road. He was again diagnosed with cruciate injury (I think it was the other leg). Again a long time out but he returned and played well.

A bit like Mavies by now ... every tackle we feared the worst. But he came through it. We were ... again ... broke and needed cash and he was again pushing for a move. Everton took the "risk" for £60k ... an insult, except for his injury record. He played a pivotal role in Kendall's very successful Everton team. Was capped regularly and won PFA player of the year.

We wuz robbed.

Thriving Scousers.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Reid was looking to move as we looked unlikely to be an established top division club. Arsenal offered us £660k, Wolves offered £600k but better wages. They'd not long sold Steve Daley for £1m (wtf !!) & the Arse were in their George Graham 1-0 days so not quite the attraction they became.

Reid fancied the greater wage. He protested as we preferred wanting the greater sale price. These were pre-Bosman days and so long as we offered a new contract at no less than the previous one a player couldn't demand a move.

He threatened strike action but was injured by a wild kick from George Wood the Everton keeper in a snow ridden pitch with a rock hard Burnden surface in a game on New Year's Day 1979.

He knackered his cruciate and was out for the best part of a year ... during which time his contract expired yet we offered him a new one, which he accepted.

On his return he immediately found his stride and performed well. But after a short period Pedro Richards, Notts County full back, went right through him in a tackle close the the dug-outs at the Manny Road. He was again diagnosed with cruciate injury (I think it was the other leg). Again a long time out but he returned and played well.

A bit like Mavies by now ... every tackle we feared the worst. But he came through it. We were ... again ... broke and needed cash and he was again pushing for a move. Everton took the "risk" for £60k ... an insult, except for his injury record. He played a pivotal role in Kendall's very successful Everton team. Was capped regularly and won PFA player of the year.

We wuz robbed.

Thriving Scousers.
fantastic recall there Bobo. I had a nagging memory that he was a bit of a tw*t to us. Was on the embankment when the injury happened - must admit I thought Wood had got him with his head/shoulder as they slid into each other but I'll bow to your memory.

The gypsy curse didn't just start with Holden

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Thriving Scousers??? Bobo phone dooooom
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 pm

^^ tbf Staffs you may be right. I do remember them crashing into each other at considerable speed. It suits me to blame Wood.

The short arsed Scouse fckr should never have been that far up the pitch !!
Last edited by bobo the clown on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 pm

^^^ I too was on the embankment that day and I still maintain that it was my iceball that took that coppers helmet off. Amazingly, 25 years later, I recounted the tale of that day to a guy working in my team. Turned out he was that cop and he still wasn't amused!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 pm

I'd forgotten about Peter Reid's injury against Notts County.More serious in terms of time out was his broken leg at Barnsley at the start of the 81/82 season that kept him out for most of that season.His return to the team was the catalyst for the run that kept us up

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Martin_Cruise wrote:I'd forgotten about Peter Reid's injury against Notts County. More serious in terms of time out was his broken leg at Barnsley at the start of the 81/82 season that kept him out for most of that season. His return to the team was the catalyst for the run that kept us up
I KNEW there was a 3rd injury. I'd forgotten that detail. But I do recall that every time he returned his form was immediately top notch and very influential.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

I want Eva Carneiro to get her coaching badge and be our next manager. I don't care if she turns out to be worse than Coyle.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I want Eva Carneiro to get her coaching badge and be our next manager. I don't care if she turns out to be worse than Coyle.

Could be worse, she could be worse than Lennie :D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I want Eva Carneiro to get her coaching badge and be our next manager. I don't care if she turns out to be worse than Coyle.
If we were getting a bird in, I'd at least want a fit one
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Get away with you and your high standards!
I'd be like a rat up a drainpipe.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Get away with you and your high standards!
I'd be like a rat up a drainpipe.
I think they're only internet high-standards coz I'm darn sure Boris would too. :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Course I would, but I'd shag a rip in a raincoat.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 pm

boltonboris wrote:Course I would, but I'd shag a rip in a raincoat.
Up at the crack of dawn, if it had hair round it? :-)