Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Post by jaffka » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I don't get this strange selections, yesterday we were the better team. It changed when Spearing went off. We were playing well and looked good against a side that has spent £6m or £9m on a striker and feck knows what wages on Barton.

I thought we would get gubbed 4-1 or so. We did better than what I thought.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 pm

jaffka wrote:I don't get this strange selections, yesterday we were the better team. It changed when Spearing went off. We were playing well and looked good against a side that has spent £6m or £9m on a striker and feck knows what wages on Barton.

I'm pretty much thinking this every week and I now get surprised that we've got something from a game. The current expectation is that we're going to lose most matches (bottom half of the table included).
Bijou Bob wrote:Lennon inherited a team of over paid, poorly performing professionals in a fast declining club. He was given a tough brief and a project which will take at least 3 years. Now isn't the time to lose faith. Even if we're relegated.
I would imagine that three year brief insisted on turning the club into a sale-able asset by correcting the downward slide whilst getting rid of players for monetary sums.

I don't want Lennon sacked, I think that would be unfair. Freedman had it coming based on his treatment of the youth team and the seemingly disharmonious attitude towards him in the dressing room. I don't think Lennon's at that stage.

I think everyone's aware of the circumstances we find ourselves in. I think the fans have become accustomed to a general malaise about the club and this is matched by the players.

The debt, the potential sale, the downward spiral, the negative chairman and cost cutting board. We're treading water from the looks of it and just look to be readying ourselves to drown.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Mar wrote:
jaffka wrote:I don't get this strange selections, yesterday we were the better team. It changed when Spearing went off. We were playing well and looked good against a side that has spent £6m or £9m on a striker and feck knows what wages on Barton.

I'm pretty much thinking this every week and I now get surprised that we've got something from a game. The current expectation is that we're going to lose most matches (bottom half of the table included).
Bijou Bob wrote:Lennon inherited a team of over paid, poorly performing professionals in a fast declining club. He was given a tough brief and a project which will take at least 3 years. Now isn't the time to lose faith. Even if we're relegated.
I would imagine that three year brief insisted on turning the club into a sale-able asset by correcting the downward slide whilst getting rid of players for monetary sums.

I don't want Lennon sacked, I think that would be unfair. Freedman had it coming based on his treatment of the youth team and the seemingly disharmonious attitude towards him in the dressing room. I don't think Lennon's at that stage.

I think everyone's aware of the circumstances we find ourselves in. I think the fans have become accustomed to a general malaise about the club and this is matched by the players.

The debt, the potential sale, the downward spiral, the negative chairman and cost cutting board. We're treading water from the looks of it and just look to be readying ourselves to drown.
You're clearly not
Sto ut Serviam

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Mar wrote:

You're clearly not
:lol:

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:46 pm

If Eddie Davies had any ambition for the club a manager who had us bottom of the 2nd Division would be sacked.Lennon's results are no better than the likes of Stan Anderson, George Mulhall, John McGovern or Dougie Freedman who were all 2nd Division failures for us.
I think if any of those 4 went managing Celtic they wouldn't find it hard to finish at the top end of the Scotch league.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:If Eddie Davies had any ambition for the club a manager who had us bottom of the 2nd Division would be sacked.Lennon's results are no better than the likes of Stan Anderson, George Mulhall, John McGovern or Dougie Freedman who were all 2nd Division failures for us.
I think if any of those 4 went managing Celtic they wouldn't find it hard to finish at the top end of the Scotch league.
Scotch it's Scots. And don't tell me it doesn't matter, trying calling one of them Scotch when stood at a bar in Glasgow. I doubt you'd make it out the front door.
Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:If Eddie Davies had any ambition for the club a manager who had us bottom of the 2nd Division would be sacked.Lennon's results are no better than the likes of Stan Anderson, George Mulhall, John McGovern or Dougie Freedman who were all 2nd Division failures for us.
Well, Stan Anderson might struggle. He's 82 and hasn't managed since we sacked him in 1981.

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Well, Stan Anderson might struggle. He's 82 and hasn't managed since we sacked him in 1981.
If an 80 odd year old who hadn't managed for over 30 years could cherry pick an easy job to get back into British football, i think the "task" of keeping Glasgow Celtic higher in the table than Ross County and Hamilton Academical would be close to if not top of the list.
Davies and Gartside obviously felt what Lennon did at Celtic was suitable for the tasks ahead at Bolton, and again they seem to have got it wrong

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:31 pm

OK so now you are all annoying me and I have a moment sapre at work so I am going throw in my pennysworth for what it is worth.

When lennon took over only 12 months ago everybody seemed to think (not just Gartside) that it was a good appointment, hindsight is always going to be clearer that at the moment. Everybody was gumbling because we were going to take Chris Hughton and again to be able to see into the future would be a good ability! IMHO Lennon was a good appointment at a time when we looked doomed. He turned it around last season with meagre resources, we had a bad finish to the season with key players missing through injury. He has made some good signings in the summera dngot rid of some of the dead wood as was his remit. We have played far better this season than last we could have won a couple of the draws at home and it would have been a different story. We are not adrift at the bottom and still have a lot of games to play.

I think he has done a good job over the last 12 months and the squad looks more balanced than it did under either Coyle of Freedman. If I have one compplaint with Lennon is he does not know how to use the meadia and is a bit too honest for his own good. I still think it will take another 2 years at least to turn the ship around but at least we are still afloat. The iceberg that was Freedman nearly sunk us by getting rid of PL standard players and brining in 3rd division players. Something which now requires fixing under tight financial constraints due to the owner not will to fund us anymore. I don't understand what Gratside has done wrong (did not hear anybody complaining when he was chairman in the PL).

I say give Lennon some space and let him try and sort this mess out in his own time if we go down it is because we were badly managed over the last 4-5 years leaving us with no money and a pack of donkeys. On top of all that he is under imense pressure to buy a striker which will hit the ground running, we are not like Manure who can go out spend £30m on a young lad if it doesn't work go out and spunk another £30m on someone else. Lennon has to get the decision absoulutely spot on first time, which is not an easy task.

Anyway, thanks for listening I feel much better after that rant, as you were!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:36 pm

^ apart from spotty, hardly anyone is suggesting we NOT give Lenny more time! chill! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Norpig wrote:OK so now you are all annoying me and I have a moment sapre at work so I am going throw in my pennysworth for what it is worth.

When lennon took over only 12 months ago everybody seemed to think (not just Gartside) that it was a good appointment, hindsight is always going to be clearer that at the moment. Everybody was gumbling because we were going to take Chris Hughton and again to be able to see into the future would be a good ability! IMHO Lennon was a good appointment at a time when we looked doomed. He turned it around last season with meagre resources, we had a bad finish to the season with key players missing through injury. He has made some good signings in the summera dngot rid of some of the dead wood as was his remit. We have played far better this season than last we could have won a couple of the draws at home and it would have been a different story. We are not adrift at the bottom and still have a lot of games to play.

I think he has done a good job over the last 12 months and the squad looks more balanced than it did under either Coyle of Freedman. If I have one compplaint with Lennon is he does not know how to use the meadia and is a bit too honest for his own good. I still think it will take another 2 years at least to turn the ship around but at least we are still afloat. The iceberg that was Freedman nearly sunk us by getting rid of PL standard players and brining in 3rd division players. Something which now requires fixing under tight financial constraints due to the owner not will to fund us anymore. I don't understand what Gratside has done wrong (did not hear anybody complaining when he was chairman in the PL).

I say give Lennon some space and let him try and sort this mess out in his own time if we go down it is because we were badly managed over the last 4-5 years leaving us with no money and a pack of donkeys. On top of all that he is under imense pressure to buy a striker which will hit the ground running, we are not like Manure who can go out spend £30m on a young lad if it doesn't work go out and spunk another £30m on someone else. Lennon has to get the decision absoulutely spot on first time, which is not an easy task.

We've been having to reduce the budget annually since relegation. Arguably prior to relegation though the accounts didn't back up those claims from Coyle.

But since coming down it has been a cost cutting exercise. Freedman didn't have quality to dispense the way you say. He had to reduce costs and the squad wasn't that good either.

From there it has been downhill and Lennon has been here 12 months and hasn't improved things as yet. Tonight we play a side who were below us and appointed their new manager 2 weeks after Lennon. They are now 4th. And are like us up for sale without money to spend.

It's a nonsense to absolve Lennon of any blame or to say he's doing a good job. If he's doing a good job then so did the previous two managers. Lennon has a difficult job and nobody would argue with that. But he has shown deficiencies that are not helping the situation either.

I agree that we just have to stick it out and hope. But Lennon also has to learn and fast if we are to do anything beyond scrap against relegation this year. And personally I think we should be doing a bit better than that.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:52 pm

some key extracts from what Norpig wrote: We were badly managed over the last 4-5 years leaving us with no money and a pack of donkeys.

The iceberg that was Freedman nearly sunk us by getting rid of PL standard players and brining in 3rd division players.

When lennon took over only 12 months ago... we had a bad finish to the season with key players missing through injury. He has made some good signings in the summer and got rid of some of the dead wood as was his remit.

the squad looks more balanced than it did under either Coyle of Freedman.
I'm confused as your narrative makes no sense: this 4-5 year period is when we've dropped from the PL. So therefore it was hardly Freedman that nearly sank us by getting rid of the PL standard players and replacing them with donkeys because Coyle had already taken us down and was in the process of taking us further down with these PL standard players. Freedman did us no favours either but then when Lennon came in he obviously magically transformed some of these donkeys (I'm presuming here that these are the 3rd Division players that Freedman brought in to replace the PL standard players that had brought us down towards the bottom end of the Championship) because they are now (in your words) key players missing through injury. And if the squad is more balanced than under Coyle or Freedman why is it that we are at our lowest ebb under Lennon? :conf:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Norpig wrote:OK so now you are all annoying me and I have a moment sapre at work so I am going throw in my pennysworth for what it is worth.

What a crock of shit
Sto ut Serviam

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:13 pm

To all who replied what do you want us to do sack Lennon and then wait to see who would take the job probably nobody better, rinse and repeat i think somebody said. Spend lots of money we do not have, go bust and start again in the National 3 bob league. We are stuck in an unpleasant place, so of you have said get rid the more realistic are saying stick with him but hurry up and get a striker as though this is going to change the way we play. I am confused what Bolton Fans as a body want?

I agree Lennon is not totally blameless for our current predicament but he is not totally to blame and given the resources at his disposal has brought in players better than what we had. I do not see what you expect him to do? He cannot drop Feeney for Walker as Walker has not shown anything better, I would have prefered Spearing to Danns but that has been scuppered due to injury and god forbid he brings Trotter back in. He has no option but to go with the forward players we have and he is limited to what he can bring in due to finances. Throw the kids in I hear you say, this very rarely works at this level and could ruin the confidence of a young player.

Therefore in conclusion Lennon is not whiter than white, Trotter is utter Sh*te, leaving Lennon with little option until Clayton and Clough are fully fit (I am still hopin Holden comes back)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Norpig wrote:To all who replied what do you want us to do sack Lennon and then wait to see who would take the job probably nobody better, rinse and repeat i think somebody said. Spend lots of money we do not have, go bust and start again in the National 3 bob league. We are stuck in an unpleasant place, so of you have said get rid the more realistic are saying stick with him but hurry up and get a striker as though this is going to change the way we play. I am confused what Bolton Fans as a body want?

I agree Lennon is not totally blameless for our current predicament but he is not totally to blame and given the resources at his disposal has brought in players better than what we had. I do not see what you expect him to do? He cannot drop Feeney for Walker as Walker has not shown anything better, I would have prefered Spearing to Danns but that has been scuppered due to injury and god forbid he brings Trotter back in. He has no option but to go with the forward players we have and he is limited to what he can bring in due to finances. Throw the kids in I hear you say, this very rarely works at this level and could ruin the confidence of a young player.

Therefore in conclusion Lennon is not whiter than white, Trotter is utter Sh*te, leaving Lennon with little option until Clayton and Clough are fully fit (I am still hopin Holden comes back)

I don't think we should sack him.

I'm far from convinced his signings have been a good use of even the limited resources we have.

I think the comparison to what Rowett has achieved so far is worrying.

I agree we are in a difficult position. But we are underperforming and have been miserable for too long. Lennon needs to start winning games.

It really is that simple.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Obviously we're losing but what's the football like to watch this season?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Norpig wrote:I am confused what Bolton Fans as a body want?
Maybe we don't all want the same thing. Maybe some don't know what they want. But I'm sure we all want it to improve. Even the professional grumblers who only appear when the team's doing badly.

Said before, several times: I hope Lennon can turn it round. I think the majority do. Doesn't mean the situation can't be discussed.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Maybe we don't all want the same thing. Maybe some don't know what they want. But I'm sure we all want it to improve. Even the professional grumblers who only appear when the team's doing badly.

Said before, several times: I hope Lennon can turn it round. I think the majority do. Doesn't mean the situation can't be discussed.

i know what I want. I want goals and points! simple! :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:03 pm

The Body of Bolton, especially away want one thing. The trouble is the Body is like the Borg, composed of disparate bits scavenged from all over the universe and when each of those bits get to thinking, well, different conclusions can be drawn. Personally, I'm kind of disappointed with the Borg queens (Eddie'n'Gartside) for not making clear at the very start that when Lennon was incorporated into the Body that he was at risk of summary rejection if he didn't lead us on to Earth invasion ( or at least mid table status). And this bit of the Bolton Body fears further disintegration if he isn't unassimilated quickly.
Tonight will either confirm my fears or dent them considerably...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

The Body of Bolton, especially away want one thing. The trouble is the Body is like the Borg, composed of disparate bits scavenged from all over the universe and when each of those bits get to thinking, well, different conclusions can be drawn. Personally, I'm kind of disappointed with the Borg queens (Eddie'n'Gartside) for not making clear at the very start that when Lennon was incorporated into the Body that he was at risk of summary rejection if he didn't lead us on to Earth invasion ( or at least mid table status). And this bit of the Bolton Body fears further disintegration if he isn't unassimilated quickly.
Tonight will either confirm my fears or dent them considerably...
Thanks for clearing that up I will sleep tonight!