24th v 4th - Birmingham (h) 20/10/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 24th v 4th - Birmingham (h) 20/10/15

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:49 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can see the appeal of the "quick vertical" against a defence featuring Paul fecking Robinson (5ft 9in, nearly 37, never had any pace to lose).

Trouble is, he kept a clean sheet and scored.
A man not good enough for us 3(?) seasons ago?
Nearly four. Last played for us in the league on Boxing Day 2011 (0-0 at 67 minutes when Coyle replaced Muamba with Eagles; four minutes later we were 2-0 down). Went on loan to Leeds in March 2012 (in his third game they shipped seven at home to Forest). Was released that summer when we went down.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:49 pm

It was like watching the worst of the 4-4-2 under Coyle wasn't it, just with worse personnel.

- Two slow and goal-shy strikers. Won't get 10 all season between them but while if we play one of them at a time it's possible for teams to share goals round - I can't see 40 goals this season from this lot.

- Mark Davies was still being asked to play in a midfield two instead of three.

- The plans being
a) Launch it at two slow marked men hoping the defender accidentally heads it into Pratley's path or
b) Pass it wide and hope the winger does something (without the help of an overlapping full back, ever). At least Petrov could put a bloody ball in.

Just for good measure that however crap we were, the goal we conceded was a cheap goal from a set piece after a daft foul. Gah

I've thought previously that we'd be OK because we have an above average manager for this league... I'm not so sure now
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Spartan2 wrote:No, you were wrong....
Yes, I was wrong, yet accurate in essence.

3 from 15 (20%) when he 'resigned'.

8 from 36 (22%) to date.

5 from 21 (23.8%) since he 'resigned'.

So better off without. It might appear.

You can give him your undying love for all I care, I'm talking of what's happened since he 'resigned'.

At least I was pissed when I made my original post.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Have all the drama queens fecked off now? To resurface from their troughs to wallow in the shit when something doesn't go our way.

Yes it was disappointing and no where near as good as we have played so far this season but we did create chances, Feeney with the high shot tipped over, the goal mouth scramble, Heskeys header straight at the keeper. Also looked a nailed on penalty when Wellington went through the middle of two players and the third behind seemed to clip him. I also though they handballed it near the end when the free kick got awarded by Madine.

Feck me, we got beat by second in the league at home but could have drawn or won it, fine margins. We didn't get tw*tted, theres going to be a lot more disappointing matches on the way.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:16 pm

jaffka wrote:Have all the drama queens fecked off now? To resurface from their troughs to wallow in the shit when something doesn't go our way.

Yes it was disappointing and no where near as good as we have played so far this season but we did create chances, Feeney with the high shot tipped over, the goal mouth scramble, Heskeys header straight at the keeper. Also looked a nailed on penalty when Wellington went through the middle of two players and the third behind seemed to clip him. I also though they handballed it near the end when the free kick got awarded by Madine.

Feck me, we got beat by second in the league at home but could have drawn or won it, fine margins. We didn't get tw*tted, theres going to be a lot more disappointing matches on the way.

I don't doubt it! :D

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 pm

I can see that this thread has also had the usual other manager is better than ours routine, also known as the other mans grass is always greener.

Apparently some folk think that Birmingham have spent nowt.

Well a quick search has revealed that they have signed the following this season:
Jacques Maghoma Sheff
Adam Legzdins
Alex Jones
Tomasz Kuszczak
Maikel Kieftenbeld
Noe Baba
Nicolai Brock-Madsen
Shane Lowry

All free apart from Maikel Kieftenbeld and Nicolai Brock-Madsen who have the undisclosed at the side of their names.

A little bit of digging reveals Maikel Kieftenbeld cost from £250k to £1.75m and Nicolai Brock-Madsen £500k with add-ons that could be up to £1m.

Not bad for a club that hasn't spent any money.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:46 pm

jaffka wrote:I can see that this thread has also had the usual other manager is better than ours routine, also known as the other mans grass is always greener.

Well a quick search has revealed that they have signed the following this season:
Jacques Maghoma Sheff
Adam Legzdins
Alex Jones
Tomasz Kuszczak
Maikel Kieftenbeld
Noe Baba
Nicolai Brock-Madsen
Shane Lowry

All free apart from Maikel Kieftenbeld and Nicolai Brock-Madsen who have the undisclosed at the side of their names.

A little bit of digging reveals Maikel Kieftenbeld cost from £250k to £1.75m and Nicolai Brock-Madsen £500k with add-ons that could be up to £1m.

I think the comparison involved the timing of a new manager, relative league position and equivalent finances (wages etc).
The fact he's bought players just makes the comparison more relevant, not less.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jaffka wrote:I can see that this thread has also had the usual other manager is better than ours routine, also known as the other mans grass is always greener.

Jacques Maghoma Sheff
Adam Legzdins
Alex Jones
Tomasz Kuszczak
Maikel Kieftenbeld
Noe Baba
Nicolai Brock-Madsen
Shane Lowry

I think the comparison involved the timing of a new manager, relative league position and equivalent finances (wages etc).
Would you kindly point out the players that we have signed for a fee.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm not sure that signings two players for £750,000 quid at best between them accounts for the difference in league positions.

Clubs under transfer embargoes are also higher than we are.

The point is we are underperforming. If we genuinely are a bottom of the league quality of a side, and there is nothing Lennon could do, then that would also be the case last season. Again I'm not having that Chungy, Mills and Ream are the difference.

We aren't going to rip up trees but bottom is not good enough. Even Lennon isn't saying it is.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:11 pm

jaffka wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
I

Jacques Maghoma Sheff
Adam Legzdins
Alex Jones
Tomasz Kuszczak
Maikel Kieftenbeld
Noe Baba
Nicolai Brock-Madsen
Shane Lowry

Would you kindly point out the players that we have signed for a fee.
We haven't! Therefore Eddie's strategy is shown to be wrong if calculated purely on that basis. On the other hand if it was all about investment it wouldn't matter a hoot which manager you had. I coulda been a contender!. As usual it's a mixture of the two, in this case investment ( minimal in both cases but Brummies winning hands down over us) and managerial talent ( with you favouring Lennon and me Rosbif or whatever his name is).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:16 pm

The point is that we've spent feck all and a team perceived to have spent nothing have actually spent money.

Being able to spend money clearly gives more movement and opportunity to improve the squad.

It's not that difficult to understand.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 pm

jaffka wrote:The point is that we've spent feck all and a team perceived to have spent nothing have actually spent money.

Being able to spend money clearly gives more movement and opportunity to improve the squad.

It's not that difficult to understand.
yes - cash makes a difference.

Do you also think it is possible to get more/better results out of this squad than we have seen - or is bottom of the league the absolute best after this number of games that Lenny could have been expected to achieve given the clubs we have played so far?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:46 pm

I think we all expected better.

Is it too soon to be making comparisons between the two clubs/managers, though? Remember the 12/13 season when we started badly while Leicester were second at xmas or something.

Their form dropped, ours improved, and we overtook them with a game to spare.

What I'm saying is that maybe we'll pick up and Brum will plummet and we'll all be like, "That Gazza Rowett is shit, glad we didn't get him."

Maybe :P

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Exactly. However if I do still think that my gut feeling is right, do I need dog's abuse about it. If I'm wrong and Lennon turns out to be the second coming then I'll have egg on my face... I'm not harming anything by expressing an opinion. I happen to believe I'm right, but if I'm wrong I'll admit as such.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of egg on your face now and then anyway.

Lennon wasn't one of my choices (as I said on here), but I began to warm to the idea and for now I'll back him. But I admit there are concerns.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Exactly. However if I do still think that my gut feeling is right, do I need dog's abuse about it. If I'm wrong and Lennon turns out to be the second coming then I'll have egg on my face... I'm not harming anything by expressing an opinion. I happen to believe I'm right, but if I'm wrong I'll admit as such.
are you getting dog's abuse?

as far as I can tell, BWFCi is the only one to have copped any actual abuse over this... otherwise it all seems very calm and civil to me! and long may it continue so!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah, just so long as it's only Insano that gets it!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:50 pm

What's the point of supporting the mighty Whites, if not to have a good fcking moan about it all? :-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:20 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Exactly. However if I do still think that my gut feeling is right, do I need dog's abuse about it. If I'm wrong and Lennon turns out to be the second coming then I'll have egg on my face... I'm not harming anything by expressing an opinion. I happen to believe I'm right, but if I'm wrong I'll admit as such.
are you getting dog's abuse?

as far as I can tell, BWFCi is the only one to have copped any actual abuse over this... otherwise it all seems very calm and civil to me! and long may it continue so!
FFS man! Stop being so fxckin literal. Drama Queens! That was the accusation... If I can't take the piss out of it by acting it then I'll feel constrained. I reserve the right to throw as many toys out of as many prams as I like!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Jacques Maghoma Sheff
Adam Legzdins
Alex Jones
Tomasz Kuszczak
Maikel Kieftenbeld
Noe Baba
Nicolai Brock-Madsen
Shane Lowry

So the difference between 2nd top and bottom is simply to spend somewhere between £750K and £2.75m? Blimey. Has anyone told Eddie?
May the bridges I burn light your way