24th v 4th - Birmingham (h) 20/10/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: 24th v 4th - Birmingham (h) 20/10/15

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:41 am

The insane one wrote:Mjallby was clearly a huge loss as we look disorganised and disinterested.
twilight wrote:Errrm....I was scoffed at when I said that a few weeks ago
Just to flesh that out a bit, we were 3 from 18 when Mjallby 'resigned' (16.6%), now we're 8 from 39 (20.5%).

Obviously a massive loss.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:43 am

enrdentw wrote:I wonder what Gary Megson is up to?
Laughing into his cocoa probably.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:56 am

Enoch wrote:
The insane one wrote:Mjallby was clearly a huge loss as we look disorganised and disinterested.
Just to flesh that out a bit, we were 3 from 18 when Mjallby 'resigned' (16.6%), now we're 8 from 39 (20.5%).

Actually we were 6 from 18. (33%) vs 8 from 36 (22%)

With mjallby we conceded 7 in 7 (including the Middleborough fiasco) vs 13 in 6 without. Our gpg conceded has more than doubled since he left.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:44 am

I think the only hope is to start scoring. Madine is one of the poorest players I have seen. Didn't Sheff Weds fans tell us just that? To put him up front with the wooden Heskey means we have no alternative to hoof football and given than neither looks capable or interested in winning a header that leaves us with no goals. The rest of the team know that so are living in nerves. Wellington is another one who people placed false hope in. He simply runs into defenders looking for the foul. Maybe a lack of confidence but likely a lack of ability.

I really hope Lennon walks. He has started giving nonsensical interviews to match his nonsense team selections. We can't afford to sack him. Last night he admitted that we are not good enough. Players he signed are not good enough. We need a motivator or a magician. I fear we will get neither and can look forward to relegation and administration.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:55 am

I wasn't there to witness just how bad we were last night. As such, I'm adopting the sober view that Birmingham are (as of today) a top two side.

Anything less than 4 points from Leeds and Preston though and I fear my inner panic alarm starting to vibrate.

The days in which 3 points nip a side 4 or 5 places up the table have all ebbed away.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:02 am

we just need a striker

nothing else

no goals = no confidence, no points, no bubble and lots of trouble.......

we're creating chances,,,,,,,, dog shit headers over the bar and straight at the goalie from the two stumps Madine and Heskey are the root cause

If we can get someone (anyone) to put away the chances were making then the picture will look a whole lot rosier

taking out our frustrations on the 9 players behind the front two is a bit unfair (but understandable) at the moment because if the stumps up front put away some of the large number of good chances they get, then no one bothers about the mistakes errors elsewhere on the pitch (because all players make mistakes - in all teams - its part of the game)

I would never pick Madine or Heskey again - ever -

Dog shit and Dog shit up front

What sort of confidence do these stumps give to the other players in the team - theres no point in them busting a gut to create chances when the guys at the business end are incapable of putting them away.

And if you dont score you eventually start letting them in (football is a confidence game)

Woolery has never had a golden scoring touch - look at his loan record
I would pick Clayton plus +1 from our promising youth.....

I would also stick with Lennon - because apart from the strikers the rest arent too bad.

I want to cry :cry:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:30 am

Nah. Our midfield is very poor. We don't create enough and can't balance filling midfield and getting players forward so do one or the other.

Birmingham play with a quick and direct striker and two quick wingers. Don't think they have a natural goal scorer really but they have a plan and play to strengths.

Of course a goal scorer would help but it isn't the answer to everything. We had Le Fondre last season and our form still stank.

If we created more it would be encouraging that eventually we'd find someone to stick things away. But we don't create very many clear chances at all.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Nah. Our midfield is very poor. We don't create enough and can't balance filling midfield and getting players forward so do one or the other.

Birmingham play with a quick and direct striker and two quick wingers. Don't think they have a natural goal scorer really but they have a plan and play to strengths.

Of course a goal scorer would help but it isn't the answer to everything. We had Le Fondre last season and our form still stank.

If we created more it would be encouraging that eventually we'd find someone to stick things away. But we don't create very many clear chances at all.
The whole side is fcuking dire....we have absolutely no shape, no organisation, no tactics, no leadership, no passion and are just so predictable & easy to play against.

Correct our midfield is awful - Pratley is back to his usual can't arsed 'pre contract' ambling self, Danns is just a headless chicken all effort with absolutely zero quality, continually getting caught in position in dangerous areas, M Davies our only decent player in the side played out of position too deep were he can't hurt teams

Our strike force is the worst I can remember in all of my time following the white....and the defence is all over the place - Lennon's brought in half a dozen new defenders (but now selects a back four based on his borrowed Freedman bingo machine).

Yes other teams seem to have a plan & play to their strengths - unfortunately though this side under Lennon has absolutely no plan (A, B or C) and has no strengths in which to play to...and his inexperience is starting to show alarmingly, one win in 17 games and absolutely no progress in the last 9 months (inc a full summer transfer window) were he brought in at least 6 players of his own and developed a full back fetish.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:06 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:...Gary Madine? GARY MADINE!? Absolutely inept. Makes Tony Philiskirk look like Gerd Muller. Makes Gregor Rasiak look like Romario. Makes Bo Hansen look like Marco Van Basten. Makes Bob Taylor look like Gary Lineker...
:lol:

...makes Angela Merkel look like Bo Derek, makes Dan Quayle look like Albert Einstein, makes Icarus look like Neil Armstrong.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:15 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Actually, we were both wrong. It was 3 from 15 (20%) when he 'resigned'.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 am

Enoch wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Actually, we were both wrong. It was 3 from 15 (20%) when he 'resigned'.
Statistically, no difference then... whether he was here or not. Sounds like most of the fxckin team. :(
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:23 am

On the bright side, it's still not our worst start in history.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am

Peter Thompson wrote:Lennon's brought in half a dozen new defenders (but now selects a back four based on his borrowed Freedman bingo machine.)
To be fair, PT, the back four last night was unchanged from the weekend. The one with a centre-back played at right-back despite us signing two right-backs this summer. The one with our best centre-back on the bench, and the two CB spots occupied by players Lennon didn't sign.

The line-up at Burnley – three centre-backs, three defensive midfielders – felt Freedmanesque.
The line-up against Birmingham - same defence, lightweight midfield - felt Coylesque, except Coyle never played two target men who can't find the target.

I guess none of us would have complained about the XI if we'd won. But that "if" didn't happen, and it's not happening nearly enough. I think Lennon's now had 47 league games – so last night was the start of his "second season", statistically – and has won 54 points, but the trend is downwards: we won 28 of those points in Lennon's first 15 games, just 26 in the last 32 games (since the tail end of his first window).
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:34 am

from theboltonnews.co.uk Neil Lennon said not wrote: “There is a real lack of quality at times.
“We are relying on players to improve and make the most of the opportunities that come their way and they are not doing it at the minute.
“I think there are goals in us but we’re missing chances because of a lack of composure and that’s what makes a difference. Birmingham didn’t do a lot – they had a couple of opportunities and one set piece but we had chances to get back into the game and more.
“Our final ball is poor and you can’t give that to players. They need to do it for themselves.”
"There was a lack of composure, particularly in the final third. We had good chances,” Lennon fumed.
"We had two off the line at one point and you've got to score. We decided to go two up because Birmingham let you have possession and we thought we'd take that away and be a bit more direct.
"We were disjointed in the first half and had a bit more ball in the second. But when we are on top we have to score. And to concede from a set piece was extremely disappointing.
"There was a lack of composure on the ball and a lack of conviction too. Our final ball was really poor when we worked the ball into good positions.
“The final ball was so disappointing. It was really poor but we will improve on that, we’re better than that.
“It’s alright me saying that. The players need to go out and prove it.”
“It’s a result that puts pressure on us – that’s the home record gone,” he said. “But I don’t think there was much between the two sides again.
“They are decent on the counter but they’ve gone second. We could just have easily come away with three points, never mind one.”
“We bring on a young player because he’s got a bit of pace about him. We brought on Clayton because we lost Silva with a hamstring, which is a blow. There isn’t much left.
“We have to bring someone in. We have to do it now.”
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 am

Finally, Plymouth's thread might take of.......
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 am

Enoch wrote:On the bright side, it's still not our worst start in history.
That's not the bright side... it might actually be a plus if we really were living through the worst start in history, Something to tell the grandkids... *quavery voice* "I remember when Lennon *hssssss* sank us without trace, thirty six months without a win, dropped five divisions in two years..."
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 am

Well Thomas, I didn't expect to be back here so soon, but what do you think we should do?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Lennon's brought in half a dozen new defenders (but now selects a back four based on his borrowed Freedman bingo machine.)
To be fair, PT, the back four last night was unchanged from the weekend. The one with a centre-back played at right-back despite us signing two right-backs this summer. The one with our best centre-back on the bench, and the two CB spots occupied by players Lennon didn't sign.
Didn't we also lose at the weekend & concede two goals ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:23 am

For reference, Dougie Freedman and Owen Coyle both were sacked with win percentages of 33% here.

Neil Lennon currently sits at 27.5%.

As DSB points out our PPG is absolutely dreadful since January at just 0.8ppg.

The average number of points over the past 10 years to finish 21st (1 place above the drop zone) is 49.6. The lowest that has stayed up is 44.

So to have any sort of chance at survival we need to get into the mid 40-s. Lets say 45, meaning we need 37 points. To have a better chance lets say 50 points, meaning we require 42 more. To be fairly certain of survival we need to get to 55 points since teams have on occasion been relegated on 53/54 IIRC leaving us needing 47 more.

We have 34 games left. And need to acquire what seems to be a minimum to stay up is slightly over 1ppg. To get to absolute safety (at least statistically) already requires us to go at a rate of nearly 1.4ppg.

We can't afford to sack Lennon, but we do need to start winning games very quickly because those averages can quickly get to a point I think would be unrealistic given our resources in the market for us to achieve. Sorry this is stating the obvious, but it is what it is.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:25 am

nelson66 wrote:we just need a striker

nothing else
We scored 3 at QPR

We lost
Sto ut Serviam