On This Day In History

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: On This Day In History

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:See? It's not all bad in Div One.
Division Three, to me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Division Three, to me.
Moi aussi, mon ami.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Division Three, to me.
Moi aussi, mon ami.
yup
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 pm

midlands exile wrote:"McGinlay does it again!"

Got delayed en route and was still walking up to Anfield when that went in. Thought the scallies outside were having us on when they told us what had happened.
Also got delayed but had been in my seat for 10 seconds. Settled in, looked up, saw Diddy David streak down the wing, and the rest is history.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:01 am

15 January 2011, five years ago today, we lost Nat Lofthouse.

Miss you, mate.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:15 January 2011, five years ago today, we lost Nat Lofthouse.

Miss you, mate.
Mr Bolton Wanderer. A true gent and legend. RIP Nat xx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKw730sVBR4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:15 January 2011, five years ago today, we lost Nat Lofthouse.

Miss you, mate.
I guess that in certain ways it's kind of a blessing that our club's greatest ever servant isn't around to see this unholy mess.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Miss you, mate.
I guess that in certain ways it's kind of a blessing that our club's greatest ever servant isn't around to see this unholy mess.
Seen similar, and he was out with the buckets.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Miss you, mate.
Seen similar, and he was out with the buckets.
True.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Miss you, mate.
Seen similar, and he was out with the buckets.[/quote

He certainly was. Quote from MEN

Bolton pays final respects to football legend Nat Lofthouse

The football world and the town of Bolton has paid final respects to the Wanderers and England legend Nat Lofthouse today. Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and boxing champion Amir Khan were among mourners who honoured Lofthouse, who died earlier this month at the age of 85.

Thousands gathered in Bolton to say an emotional farewell to the town's favourite son Nat Lofthouse, OBE.

Stars from the world of football, former team-mates and supporters braved the elements at Bolton Parish Church to pay tribute to the "Lion of Vienna" who passed away earlier this month at the age of 85.

A procession went through the town centre down Churchgate to the church before Lofthouse's coffin was carried into the building by a group which included Wanderers manager Owen Coyle and striker Kevin Davies.

Lofthouse played for Bolton and England with distinction and was known as a prolific, tough goal scorer. Inside the church, Wanderers chief executive Phil Gartside kicked things off with a heartfelt eulogy.

He described Lofthouse as "a greatly loved son of Bolton". In front of a packed church, many of whom wore navy and white scarves in Bolton's colours, he added: "He was Bolton down to his boots, our Nat, the Lion of Vienna."

After the traditional FA Cup final anthem Abide With Me was played on the church's organ, a video showing clips from Lofthouse's glittering career was shown.

It showed him lifting the FA Cup, scoring a number of times for England, and included a clip of his appearance on This is Your Life. There were chuckles inside and from the thousands listening outside when a clip was shown of him barging Harry Gregg into the back of the net in Bolton's 1958 Wembley victory over Manchester United.

Mr Gartside said the club had been overwhelmed with tributes from those who remembered Lofthouse around the world.

"We've had an autograph hunter from Germany who he signed a book for in 1956 but my favourite tribute has come from an Arsenal fan who married a Bolton fan in 1994, just after we'd knocked them out of the cup. Nat wrote to him, 'Congratulations, at least you've found a winner.'"

Mr Gartside added that Lofthouse had worked tirelessly to raise money for the club when they were on the verge of going out of business. He added that he liked to go for a drink after games and claimed he was "very lucky" because he never had to buy a drink.

Gartside added: "I think we were the lucky ones, Nat." http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... all-852568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 am

Didn't Nat also set up the Burnden Lifeline?

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Didn't Nat also set up the Burnden Lifeline?
Yes he did Bruce.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Man is a legend!

never be another like him!

RIP
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 pm

I went into Bolton for Nat's funeral. The amount of people who turned out was amazing and gratifying. Coudn't get in the church but I stood outside in the church yard, near Samuel Crompton's grave, and heard the service relayed live on audio. A very sad but somehow uplifting occasion for a much loved local hero..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I went into Bolton for Nat's funeral. The amount of people who turned out was amazing and gratifying. Coudn't get in the church but I stood outside in the church yard, near Samuel Crompton's grave, and heard the service relayed live on audio. A very sad but somehow uplifting occasion for a much loved local hero..

Phil Gartsides words on this clip choke me up every time I watch it. :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-tAcAP0K44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;