Per Frandsen - your memories

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Per Frandsen - your memories

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about Per Frandsen (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Bolton. Especially good would be any personal memories you have of meeting him/seeing him around town - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

I should point out I'm not a Wanderers fan, I'm actually a Hammer. Feel free to abuse me for this!

Cheers,
Kevin

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Per Frandsen - your memories

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:26 pm

He were fvckin mint
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Fantastic player. When he first signed, I think a lot of Bolton fans (and British football fans in general) were excited about the fact that he was foreign. He signed at the same time as Michael Johansen; I was only 11 at the time, and it seemed like we were signing these two exciting foreign talents. Euro '96 had just finished, so foreign imports were becoming a big thing, and it was great that Bolton were getting two young Danes. He turned out to be a real force in midfield, and was arguably one of our top performers when we fell out of the prem in 97/98.

I think the most surprising thing about him is that a decent prem side never signed him. We sold him a few weeks into the 99/00 season (without the manager's consent - he quit over it) to Blackburn, who had just been relegated. He was always good enough to get into a mid-table prem team, and proved a few times his quality in the top flight with us.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm

The two identical twin ladies who sat behind me in the West Upper when I had season tickets back in the day called him 'Peaches'.

And he scored THAT goal against 'Boro in 2003.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Jugs wrote:Fantastic player. When he first signed, I think a lot of Bolton fans (and British football fans in general) were excited about the fact that he was foreign. He signed at the same time as Michael Johansen; I was only 11 at the time, and it seemed like we were signing these two exciting foreign talents. Euro '96 had just finished, so foreign imports were becoming a big thing, and it was great that Bolton were getting two young Danes. He turned out to be a real force in midfield, and was arguably one of our top performers when we fell out of the prem in 97/98.

I think the most surprising thing about him is that a decent prem side never signed him. We sold him a few weeks into the 99/00 season (without the manager's consent - he quit over it) to Blackburn, who had just been relegated. He was always good enough to get into a mid-table prem team, and proved a few times his quality in the top flight with us.
Think if he'd had a little extra pace he'd have been playing for a very good premiership side. That always held him back. A cracking player though. Think Allardyce got the best out of him with his 5 man midfield towards the end.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:45 pm

I love Percy Frandsen. I think he might be one of my three favourite Wanderers ever. So there.

Arriving in the summer after our fairly disastrous first Premier campaign (95/6), he was the makeweight in the double-Danish deal that also brought us diddy winger Michael Johansen (whose twin Martin later played for Coventry and had a trial with our reserves). Started a productive glut of imports from Scandinavia (and Iceland): long before glum detectives wearing crap jumpers, we enjoyed Arnar Gunnlaugsson, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Claus Jensen, Bo Hansen, Henrik Pedersen and Johan Elmander and Gretar Steinsson (having already loved Gudni Bergsson).

Anyway, Johansen was a good player but Frandsen was better. An unusually complete midfielder, hard-working and solid in the tackle yet skilful on the ball. Announced his arrival in the first home league game, against also-relegated title favourites Man City, sidestepping the lumbering centre-back and lashing in the winner from the edge of the area. We romped the league that season, waving farewell to Burnden by scoring 100 goals and being within a last-day injury-time equaliser of racking up 100 points. Percy was central to that, starting 40 of 46 league games despite the incoming rivals of John Sheridan and Jamie Pollock, and earning a recall to the Denmark national team

The next season he was even more fundamental, starting an unmatched 38 of the 42 Premier League games as we just about dropped out again. He went to France 98 with Denmark, appearing twice. In 98/99 Colin Todd's reached the play-off final and Frandsen was again the most-used player, missing just 2 of the 49 league games (inc play-offs) – but defeat in the final cost us dear, and handed Frandsen a key role in the history of the club: financially troubled, Bolton had to sell Frandsen to local rich kids Blackburn for £1.75m in September 1999. Todd resigned and was replaced by Sam Allardyce; Phil Gartside replaced Gordon Hargreaves as chairman and started to get funding from Eddie Davies.

This was the new Bolton, and Frandsen – unsettled at Blackburn – rejoined it in summer 2000. A season later we were back in the top flight; that first season back in the big time (01/02) started with a 5-0 win at Leicester (Frandsen scored twice) and when we needed a hero in the vital final game of 02/03 against Boro at home, Frandsen opened the scoring after 10 minutes. He started 34 league games that term but was now in his mid-30s, and after one more term (including a League Cup Final against Boro) in which he made 22 league starts but notably 11 substitute appearances in a midfield now featuring Okocha, Djorkaeff, Nolan, Stelios and Campo, he went on a free to Wigan at the age of 34, promptly knacked his knee and called it a day, so even in retirement he pleased us.

He gave us 300+ games of effort and skill, and he’s welcome back any time. If you can find a Bolton fan with a bad word for him, they’re wrong.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

I saw him one day at Moss Bank Park in Bolton. He was with Claus Jensen, Michael Johansen and a couple of young kids. My daughter was on the swings. Per's daughter thought it a good idea to run in front of the swings and was promptly kicked in the head by my daughter, ending up flat on her back in tears. I apologised, but it was her own fault.

My Daughter 1 His Daughter 0 We regret nothing! 8)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Only one word required - legend.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I love Percy Frandsen. I think he might be one of my three favourite Wanderers ever. So there.

Arriving in the summer after our fairly disastrous first Premier campaign (95/6), he was the makeweight in the double-Danish deal that also brought us diddy winger Michael Johansen (whose twin Martin later played for Coventry and had a trial with our reserves). Started a productive glut of imports from Scandinavia (and Iceland): long before glum detectives wearing crap jumpers, we enjoyed Arnar Gunnlaugsson, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Claus Jensen, Bo Hansen, Henrik Pedersen and Johan Elmander and Gretar Steinsson (having already loved Gudni Bergsson).

Anyway, Johansen was a good player but Frandsen was better. An unusually complete midfielder, hard-working and solid in the tackle yet skilful on the ball. Announced his arrival in the first home league game, against also-relegated title favourites Man City, sidestepping the lumbering centre-back and lashing in the winner from the edge of the area. We romped the league that season, waving farewell to Burnden by scoring 100 goals and being within a last-day injury-time equaliser of racking up 100 points. Percy was central to that, starting 40 of 46 league games despite the incoming rivals of John Sheridan and Jamie Pollock, and earning a recall to the Denmark national team

The next season he was even more fundamental, starting an unmatched 38 of the 42 Premier League games as we just about dropped out again. He went to France 98 with Denmark, appearing twice. In 98/99 Colin Todd's reached the play-off final and Frandsen was again the most-used player, missing just 2 of the 49 league games (inc play-offs) – but defeat in the final cost us dear, and handed Frandsen a key role in the history of the club: financially troubled, Bolton had to sell Frandsen to local rich kids Blackburn for £1.75m in September 1999. Todd resigned and was replaced by Sam Allardyce; Phil Gartside replaced Gordon Hargreaves as chairman and started to get funding from Eddie Davies.

This was the new Bolton, and Frandsen – unsettled at Blackburn – rejoined it in summer 2000. A season later we were back in the top flight; that first season back in the big time (01/02) started with a 5-0 win at Leicester (Frandsen scored twice) and when we needed a hero in the vital final game of 02/03 against Boro at home, Frandsen opened the scoring after 10 minutes. He started 34 league games that term but was now in his mid-30s, and after one more term (including a League Cup Final against Boro) in which he made 22 league starts but notably 11 substitute appearances in a midfield now featuring Okocha, Djorkaeff, Nolan, Stelios and Campo, he went on a free to Wigan at the age of 34, promptly knacked his knee and called it a day, so even in retirement he pleased us.

He gave us 300+ games of effort and skill, and he’s welcome back any time. If you can find a Bolton fan with a bad word for him, they’re wrong.
That's the nail on the head. Who have we got in the side now who has both of those?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:54 pm

My daughter's favourite - so much so we went to a Player of the year do for her 21st and we ended up sat on his table. He went away for a few minutes and came back red faced with his tie half way round his neck and ripped in two. Heard him telling Henrik Pederson that Dean Holdsworth had done it. Deano must have enjoyed it so much he decided to buy the club.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:02 pm

<-----

I once used the blues and twos to stop a big 4x4 Volvo on Bradshaw Brow. It's brake lights were not working.

I walked to the passenger side, opened the door and Per was sat in the drivers seat. "Ya?" he said, very slowly and deeply.

Me with 28yrs service in came over all unnecessary and stammered something about lights before retreating.

One of my favourite ever players. Huge respect for him.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 pm

If I recall correctly we bought Michael Johansenn and Per was a sort of make-weight thrown into the deal. Some blooming make-weight. A fantastic player.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Agree with all the above. I'd like to identify his performance in the opening match of the 2001-02 season, away at Leicester as his finest 90 minutes. Per absolutely bossed that game. He scored 2 and made 2 in a Whites 5-0 victory.

I was writing the match report for the sadly missed fanzine Tripe n Trotters and gave Per a perfect ten as MotM.

The best away performance ever. :D :D :D

Edit - just noticed. beaten to it by DSB!!! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:17 pm

My abiding memory is of us selling him to Blackburn. He was never happy there and I seem to remember him saying he wished he had never left Bolton. His wish came true and we bought him back. The joy... :oyea: Oh, and that cheeky free kick goal.... :grin:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:04 am

all those scandies and no mention of the STIG...?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:09 am

General Mannerheim wrote:all those scandies and no mention of the STIG...?
Knew there was one I forgot.

One that wasn't Carsten Fredgaard.

(One could also cite Jaaskelainen, J.)

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 am

The club's Youtube channel has a few videos with him which might help you with your article:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Just read on bwfc facebook that he's recovering from a serious illness. Can't find nothing more than that but fingers crossed he makes a full recovery
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Only one word required - legend.
This....absolute top player.

All of our current players should be made to watch video's of Per Frandsen as a guide as to how to play in central midfield, a proper box to box, energetic, all action player who gave 100% in every game and could score goals.

Not one of our current players is anywhere near good enough to even lace his boots, and that includes M Davies who is not even 1/2 the player Frandsen was.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:16 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Just read on bwfc facebook that he's recovering from a serious illness. Can't find nothing more than that but fingers crossed he makes a full recovery
He's had a blood clot in the heart.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _in_heart/

Get well soon, Per!