What sort of football club can the town of Bolton support?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: What sort of football club can the town of Bolton suppor

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:26 am

Well we may as well turn this into an ale forum,so get yourselves over to Guys Court at Barton! Tremendous range of brews to sample! Pendle Witch being a favourite of mine. :hang:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:34 am

Minor drinker these days, but I tried a drop of draught Flat Cap in the Man and Scythe a couple of weeks back. Was not at all bad.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:34 am

Tango is that the Man and Scythe at Kearsley? I lived there 27 years ago and my sister takes her daughter to a riding school very close to there! Dad worked at Pickfords for years! God bless his soul.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:43 am

jonnycooper wrote:Tango is that the Man and Scythe at Kearsley? I lived there 27 years ago and my sister takes her daughter to a riding school very close to there! Dad worked at Pickfords for years! God bless his soul.
Pulled down years ago I'm afraid.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:59 am

jonnycooper wrote:Tango is that the Man and Scythe at Kearsley? I lived there 27 years ago and my sister takes her daughter to a riding school very close to there! Dad worked at Pickfords for years! God bless his soul.
No mate, it's the very ancient hostelry on Churchgate in Bolton. Famous (supposedly) as the last place the Earl of Derby, James Stanley, saw before he was executed. From source:

"The execution took place on 15 October 1651 at the market cross in Churchgate, Bolton, nearby the Man and Scythe Inn (owned at the time by the Earl of Derby's family). The market cross bears a plaque commemorating the execution. In the inn is a chair inscribed "15th October 1651 In this chair James 7th Earl of Derby sat at the Man and Scythe Inn, Churchgate, Bolton immediately prior to his execution".[4] He was buried in Ormskirk church."

Famous also over the years for many things, draught cider, hippies and revelry. Very friendly, civil atmosphere these days. :wink:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:14 pm

The Swan used to get a lot of hippies in also! Haven't been out in Bolton since late 80's. Used to go in Sundowners (or dogdowners) as we referred to it! Dance Factory was also one of our faves.Is the Griffin still there? And there was a club facing the Griffin that you went downstairs to get in.I think it was a former dole office or some government building! I expect the Town Centre is all up-market now! Anyway am going to find out next week,as I have convinced the wife to take a trip there for some Xmas shopping! Gonna check out Burnden Pie shop as I am told it's still there!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 pm

jonnycooper wrote:The Swan used to get a lot of hippies in also! Haven't been out in Bolton since late 80's. Used to go in Sundowners (or dogdowners) as we referred to it! Dance Factory was also one of our faves.Is the Griffin still there? And there was a club facing the Griffin that you went downstairs to get in.I think it was a former dole office or some government building! I expect the Town Centre is all up-market now! Anyway am going to find out next week,as I have convinced the wife to take a trip there for some Xmas shopping! Gonna check out Burnden Pie shop as I am told it's still there!
Not the best thread for it, but the Griffin is still going strong. Two new clubs on Churchgate, Hogarths and The Venue bar, but not been in either. Shopping wise the town has gone steadily downhill. Pawnbrokers, loan shops, tanning salons, nail parlours and pound shops, and that's just Newport Street......

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:02 pm

jonnycooper wrote:The Swan used to get a lot of hippies in also! Haven't been out in Bolton since late 80's. Used to go in Sundowners (or dogdowners) as we referred to it! Dance Factory was also one of our faves.Is the Griffin still there? And there was a club facing the Griffin that you went downstairs to get in.I think it was a former dole office or some government building! I expect the Town Centre is all up-market now! Anyway am going to find out next week,as I have convinced the wife to take a trip there for some Xmas shopping! Gonna check out Burnden Pie shop as I am told it's still there!
Good grief man, you couldn't have got that more wrong.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Not the best thread for it, but the Griffin is still going strong. Two new clubs on Churchgate, Hogarths and The Venue bar, but not been in either. Shopping wise the town has gone steadily downhill. Pawnbrokers, loan shops, tanning salons, nail parlours and pound shops, and that's just Newport Street......
I expect the Town Centre is all up-market now!

Boy .... are you in for a shock !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Conference footie at best

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Well its league 1 at best next season!

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Well its league 1 at best next season!
Then probaby league two the season after :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Ah, no Roy of the Rovers comment on this thread. Clearly his sister caught up with him then.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

Ah, spoke too soon.

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Ah, no Roy of the Rovers comment on this thread. Clearly his sister caught up with him then.
Better than ya dad

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Roy of the Rovers wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Well its league 1 at best next season!
Then probaby league two the season after :grin: :grin: :grin:
Pssst, you might want to turn that webcam off, I can see you wanking.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Ah, no Roy of the Rovers comment on this thread. Clearly his sister caught up with him then.
Better than ya dad
Good to see you confirm that you really don't understand the concept of incest at all.

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Better than ya dad
Good to see you confirm that you really don't understand the concept of incest at all.
PMSL someone coming from bolton......six finger knuckle dragging retard

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Better than ya dad
Whoa sunshine! He doesn't have 6 fingers.

Roy of the Rovers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Roy of the Rovers » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Roy of the Rovers wrote:
Better than ya dad
Whoa sunshine! He doesn't have 6 fingers.
Okay six toes then !! :lol: :lol: :lol: