Spotty's Seriously Sub-standard Second Rate Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Spotty's Seriously Sub-standard Second Rate Transfer Thr

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Oh. Anyone out of contract is gone too.

Are Threlkeld and White still under contract? They may return if so seeing as both seem to have done a decent job in league one.
See my subsequent email, BWFCi - they're both out of contract in summer, but I'd say they both have a chance of renewal, as their wages will be small enough. We need to have *some* players with senior experience, even if they're only 21.

Likesay, I'm in the process of writing a piece for TW on the summer contract shuffle. Thought I had weeks, but events have brought it forward - and work doesn't half get in the way :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 am

Cheers DSB. And yes I agree with your analysis. I suppose as you say we may circumvent the 60% rule year one but as we have to report to the FL they may be concerned if we don't get close to it. Not sure they will like us "gambling" on promotion.

And beyond all that we are paying 1M a month more than we can afford. So clearly we need a huge reduction. That is about 12m a year off the wage bill needed. Takes us down to a wage bill of somewhere around 3-4M. Which I think is competitive in league one.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:56 am

Interesting list that DSB, thanks. From that list, I can see us keeping only perhaps Clayton and Amos from the contracted list. I'm not sure I want to keep the latter. Of those out of contract, we can perhaps keep a couple of the youth players. A full bench might be a struggle for the first match! Whoever starts the next transfer thread is going to get one hell of a ride.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:59 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Interesting list that DSB, thanks. From that list, I can see us keeping only perhaps Clayton and Amos from the contracted list. I'm not sure I want to keep the latter. Of those out of contract, we can perhaps keep a couple of the youth players. A full bench might be a struggle for the first match! Whoever starts the next transfer thread is going to get one hell of a ride.
Sounds like you're offering there, Bob! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

We are losing a million a month. If a club comes in for any of our high earners with an offer that takes their wages off our books they are gone.

We are losing a million a month and about to take another large hit on income with league one looming and no more parachute payments.
A couple of very naive questions in light of that startling revelation, but is that not because, in the simplest rules of business finance, our incomings are far less than outgoings? Might that be because in addition to any wage issuse, we're getting dwindling crowds of 13/14,000 per game in a 27,000 seater stadium? Might that be because the fans are fed up of paying £40( overall? ) per match day, out to watch us keep losing to teams less than Barcelona? Might that indicate that unless we improve, a million a month might actually grow and turn the Macron into another Normid??

If we get a team of lads together from Fanny's and Old Links on free ale and pasties to play in League one, we still have a massive stadium that needs running and a hefty ground staff to do it. Oh, and if the fans bring torches and shine them at the pitch instead of the national grid that is our floodlights,they still have to win and get the fans back or even the ale and pasties might get the chop...We won't do it unless we get players capable of winning and getting the crowds back.

Just saying like..... :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
A couple of very naive questions in light of that startling revelation, but is that not because, in the simplest rules of business finance, our incomings are far less than outgoings? Might that be because in addition to any wage issuse, we're getting dwindling crowds of 13/14,000 per game in a 27,000 seater stadium? Might that be because the fans are fed up of paying £40( overall? ) per match day, out to watch us keep losing to teams less than Barcelona? Might that indicate that unless we improve, a million a month might actually grow and turn the Macron into another Normid??

If we get a team of lads together from Fanny's and Old Links on free ale and pasties to play in League one, we still have a massive stadium that needs running and a hefty ground staff to do it. Oh, and if the fans bring torches and shine them at the pitch instead of the national grid that is our floodlights,they still have to win and get the fans back or even the ale and pasties might get the chop...We won't do it unless we get players capable of winning and getting the crowds back.

Just saying like..... :|
The problem being that the loss of income from the dwindling crowd is miniscule in comparison to the loss of income from TV deals as we slip down the leagues and parachute payments that have now run out.

Even IF we had 20,000 every home game, all paying £20 a ticket (which Won't happen) but even IF that dream scenario panned out, that is only ~£9M worth of income for the season.

We cannot make up for anything like lost TV or parachute revenue with attendance.

So the only answer is cost cutting. Lets face it, it isn't like we can say it is a shame to lose players. We've paid them a lot and they've been entirely unsuccessful.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 am

I would seriously consider closing all upper tiers of the stadium to reduce overheads in league 1.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:49 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:I would seriously consider closing all upper tiers of the stadium to reduce overheads in league 1.
100%. Also to concentrate the fans in the lower tiers. Suspect logistically that is a bit of a nightmare though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:50 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:I would seriously consider closing all upper tiers of the stadium to reduce overheads in league 1.
Definitely sounds worth investigating. Even if we get five-figure gates (which I don't think we will, very often) it would be better to have people packed in the lower tiers than spread out - and obviously much cheaper to operate.
BWFC_Insane wrote:Suspect logistically that is a bit of a nightmare though.
Why? Relocating ST holders? I'm not sure that'll be as much of a problem as relocating them in a lower tier of the Football League.

(Do you see what I did there? I'm weirdly proud of that.)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Even IF we had 20,000 every home game, all paying £20 a ticket (which Won't happen) but even IF that dream scenario panned out, that is only ~£9M worth of income for the season.
We cannot make up for anything like lost TV or parachute revenue with attendance.
The whole point B.W.F.I, is that there are 23? clubs in exactly the same position as us in terms of requirements for running a team and stadium. Everybody and his brother knows how deep we're in the brown stuff so it doesn't need repeating ad infinitum. If we can no longer afford to swim in the same pond, then we either find a way to do that or sell up and watch rugby. (because, if we did fold, I'd never support another team). I'm hoping that Deano and co have had a close look at that and decided they can manage it. If the haven't, then what's it all about? How they do that I'm not clever enough to say.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Definitely sounds worth investigating. Even if we get five-figure gates (which I don't think we will, very often) it would be better to have people packed in the lower tiers than spread out - and obviously much cheaper to operate.
Why? Relocating ST holders? I'm not sure that'll be as much of a problem as relocating them in a lower tier of the Football League.

One of those occasional high points in an otherwise arduous career with the pen.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Bit gutted about Feeney. He's been a joy to watch recently, the only real joy amid the dirge (apart from Holding but it's hard to get off your seat about a bit of defending).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Enoch wrote:One of those occasional high points in an otherwise arduous career with the pen.
I spend my life doggy-paddling toward such islands of mediocrity through oceans of underachievement.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

To me it's seems like a no-brainer. Obviously there would be some operation up there because that's where the corporate boxes are, but the stewards and pint pullers in those upper tiers would be gone (sorry but needs must). There would be no call for cleaners to clean up after match day. We could open them up for a glamorous cup fixture, but other than that I just wouldn't bother. We're All In This Together. Cut backs. Boom & Bust.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:We could open them up for a glamorous cup fixture
Or when the Rolling Stones are booked in.

If you start me up.....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm

So you think the way to improve attendances is to alienate already disillusioned folk who could possibly have sat in the same seat in the upper tier for the best part of twenty years by taking their seat off them and forcing them to sit downstairs.

Great plan. I mean I'm sure not a single one of them would tell Deano to shove it up his arse.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:04 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:So you think the way to improve attendances is to alienate already disillusioned folk who could possibly have sat in the same seat in the upper tier for the best part of twenty years by taking their seat off them and forcing them to sit downstairs.

Great plan. I mean I'm sure not a single one of them would tell Deano to shove it up his arse.
This is why it is a logistical nightmare. Add in that lower tier ST holders have already picked off their seats so closing upper tiers means that they get last choice. Unless you re-open it all up and just piss everyone off....

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:08 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:So you think the way to improve attendances is to alienate already disillusioned folk who could possibly have sat in the same seat in the upper tier for the best part of twenty years by taking their seat off them and forcing them to sit downstairs.

An unfortunate, political decision. Reflecting these times. If you're hanging onto a rising balloon, you're presented with a difficult decision - let go before it's too late or hang on and keep getting higher, posing the question: how long can you keep a grip on the rope?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:15 pm

I'd let kids in free, one per adult, maybe let women in for half price (is that even legal!) make it an accessible day out for the nuclear family.

It's not like we wouldn't have room for all the adult males that want to pitch up. I'd rather get more through the gate than shut the place down.

Oh and lets get the Stones booked up quick, while they're still on the road.

If you start me up I'll never stop.....

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Ok, may i be the voice of compromise and suggest shutting a couple of the upper tiers?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.