BW Supporters Trust

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Re: BW Supporters Trust

Post by wigan white » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:15 pm

thebish wrote:

As a member you will receive regular updates regarding both the BWFCST and BWFC, you will be able to attend regular events and of course you’ll get a chance to influence the running and governance of BWFC by being able to vote on both the election of Trust board members and on specific policy items. However, membership of BWFCST is about more than this – it is about being part of the future of your club and of your Supporters’ Trust.

how does voting on the election of BWFCST board members give anyone the chance to influence the running and governance of BWFC? :conf:

edit: ahhh - I see pru also asked this question! we demand an answer!!

Its all very "People's front of Judea/Judean People's Front" at the moment :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:21 pm

wigan white wrote:
thebish wrote:

As a member you will receive regular updates regarding both the BWFCST and BWFC, you will be able to attend regular events and of course you’ll get a chance to influence the running and governance of BWFC by being able to vote on both the election of Trust board members and on specific policy items. However, membership of BWFCST is about more than this – it is about being part of the future of your club and of your Supporters’ Trust.

how does voting on the election of BWFCST board members give anyone the chance to influence the running and governance of BWFC? :conf:

edit: ahhh - I see pru also asked this question! we demand an answer!!

Its all very "People's front of Judea/Judean People's Front" at the moment :conf:

aye - and what kind of "policy" items could BWFCST have which would affect the running and governance of BWFC?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:26 pm

After 16 years or so of posting on football forums, I can look at the ST shambles and finally, for the very first time, say "I was right about this all along". I'm disappointed by the lack of pleasure it's giving me.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Seems supporters don't trust the Supporters' Trust. #existentialcrisis

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:After 16 years or so of posting on football forums, I can look at the ST shambles and finally, for the very first time, say "I was right about this all along". I'm disappointed by the lack of pleasure it's giving me.
That's because it was such a cast iron certainty that there was never even the faintest doubt of how it would pan out.

So not even the joy of being right.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Had a quick scan of the in-running commentary from last night - between the lines it sounded like they're preparing to be in place for when the next crisis happens in League Two. Until then not much they can or can envisage achieving.

did anyone go?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Our kid gave then a tenner back in February the dozy tosser.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:12 am

See, I'm in 2 minds about the trust. I like the idea of it but not how it's been handled to date. As far as I'm concerned the steering committee are there to set it up administratively and nothing else. Future direction has bugger all to do with them. Asking whether they want a place on the board, future intentions is for the membership to decide and elected committee to act on.

For me it comes down to whether the elected committee acts on the wishes of the membership or do what the want. If the latter they can fcuk off. No way of knowing, so I'll probably join for a year and see what happens. My expectations aren't high, but I feel I should give it a chance.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:See, I'm in 2 minds about the trust. I like the idea of it but not how it's been handled to date. As far as I'm concerned the steering committee are there to set it up administratively and nothing else. Future direction has bugger all to do with them. Asking whether they want a place on the board, future intentions is for the membership to decide and elected committee to act on.
Exactly, its not really for them to answer. If they make claims or take steps towards doing something before the elections (like when they were trying to buy the club) then they're acting without the mandate to do so, but now people are having a go at them because they're not taking action / not saying that they'll do something? Can't have it both ways...

In terms of getting a place on the board, of course the supporters trust would want that. That would depend on DH being open to that idea though. The ST can't exactly force DH to do it.

I don't know the format that these elections will take, whether the candidates will state what their intentions are, but surely it's at that point that we should be asking these sort of questions? The steering group should only be there to make sure the supporters trust gets off the ground and has a fair election. They went above and beyond what they should have been doing when they started trying to buy the club. Though I think that was mostly down to naivety rather than anything malicious.

In terms of where the money is going, they've already stated that the annual accounts will be made publicly available. Website costs can soon build up, especially if you need to pay someone to maintain it etc. Likewise function rooms aren't exactly cheap to rent - unless the club are letting them use it for free - not like the club can afford to do that right now though. I think asking where the money has gone at this point is just crazy. Do you really think they'd have spent it already? Most of it is probably still sitting in their newly minted bank account.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:11 pm

A seat on the board has to be the aim, otherwise it is a complete waste of time.

2,000+ members is a pretty significant portion of our fanbase. I don't see Deano or his backers turning them down.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:42 pm

And yet if an exotically-named foreign despot with an appalling human rights record waved some cash around I'm sure we'd all apply the same scrutiny.

Nowt so queer as folk, as my grandad used to say.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:10 am

The supporters trust really don't do themselves any favours. I joined a while back, thinking give it a go and see where it goes as I can always cancel membership.

The trust like to email me on all sorts, such as surveys on the upper tiers. Yet, things like the chairman of the trust stepping down and someone else taking over I read about in the BeN. Who has appointed the new chairman? It seems the trust is doing lots of things without a mandate. I understand the elections take time, but lots of decisions are being taken behind closed doors and it stinks.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Ha. So no election as only the 5 members of the steering group received nominations for the full board. So the steering group are now the full board. By default.

What a surprise...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:01 pm

So they get to spend all those lovely subs.?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:So they get to spend all those lovely subs.?
I've been asking since this thing started - where does the money go? I'm yet to receive any kind of an answer.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:20 pm

I demand a referendum.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Should have joined and put my name forward, at least there would be no fcuking about :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:06 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ha. So no election as only the 5 members of the steering group received nominations for the full board. So the steering group are now the full board. By default.

What a surprise...
I've not exactly been one to defend them, but it can't be their fault no one else has put themselves forward with someone else to second them. I used to be Chair of the Publishers Softball League in London and know from experience the difficulties of getting people to volunteer for the committee. Finding a replacement for me when I moved to Dubai was like looking for the Holy Grail. Folk like to have their say and piss and moan, but very few actually like to put their money where their mouth is.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:09 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Ha. So no election as only the 5 members of the steering group received nominations for the full board. So the steering group are now the full board. By default.

What a surprise...
I've not exactly been one to defend them, but it can't be their fault no one else has put themselves forward with someone else to second them. I used to be Chair of the Publishers Softball League in London and know from experience the difficulties of getting people to volunteer for the committee. Finding a replacement for me when I moved to Dubai was like looking for the Holy Grail. Folk like to have their say and piss and moan, but very few actually like to put their money where their mouth is.
When they established the steering group and asked for volunteers with the right skills to join I know of several well qualified people who emailed in their expression of interest only to receive no reply. I've heard similar on here and elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if similarly nominations were 'lost in the post.'

It is a self interest group run by people who had no intention of ever opening it up or stepping out of the limelight they have created.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am

Yeah, I remember being on a committee once and people pissing and moaning. So we called a meeting and asked for volunteers. Nobody, not one person of the dozens who turned up could find the time to help. I have a great deal of sympathy with them.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.