A happy No Non Sense new year! - Huddersfield (H) 02/01/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A happy No Non Sense new year! - Huddersfield (H) 02/01/

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

40% possession for the home side says it all really! An away side that has 60% possession would be hugely disappointed if they hadn't won the game! So I don't want to hear Neil saying we deserved something from the game! Either these players really are shit,or a lot of us supporters have been foolish in thinking we were too good to be rock bottom of this League.Pratley,Dervite and Madine are League 1 at the very best,could prove a tad useful next season though eh ! As for Medo! I would put him in this side before almost every other player that we have tried in Midfield! Pratley surely can't believe his luck. :conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

From what I read, BWFCi is/was campaigning for an extra midfielder rather than a like-for-like. Although this presumably means dropping Zach, playing without a centre-forward or playing three at the back...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:From what I read, BWFCi is/was campaigning for an extra midfielder rather than a like-for-like. Although this presumably means dropping Zach, playing without a centre-forward or playing three at the back...

it'll be interesting to see what kind of team Lennon drums up for the cup... I have NO IDEA at all what he's gonna do...

blood the kids?
experiment with a back three?
bring back the neglected first-teamers? Twardzik? Medo? Dobbie?
field a full-strength (ha!!) side in the hope of a cup run?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:From what I read, BWFCi is/was campaigning for an extra midfielder rather than a like-for-like. Although this presumably means dropping Zach, playing without a centre-forward or playing three at the back...
It was fair enough to give the starting line up that beat Blackburn another go. But Blackburn play 2 up so the danger was there today from the off.

After about 35 minutes it was obvious we needed an extra man in midfield at the very least. Without even making a change I thought Davies should have come into midfield and Clough played wide left.

Then I think at half time Spearing should have come on for Pratley. Or Vela. If we are to play 2 in midfield against three we need better than Pratley and Vela. And we need a ball winner in there.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Well I will say this. A midfield of Medo and Spearing would be better than a midfield of Vela and Pratley. No doubt about it.
and there's me remembering the amount of stick a previous manager used to get for playing medo and spearing together! :-)

seems like a case of the person not playing or being picked suddenly being ace!

+1

Insano has a short memory,swear he use to slag Spearing off!
Spearing has been very poor for his price tag. But we had nothing in the centre of midfield today. Just empty space with Pratley chasing shadows.

Spearing at least is a ball winner in theory.

In the summer I said we needed a proper midfield player. But nobody arrived. It isn't a case of a short memory. We've not had a good or even competent midfield for a long time. Not since Muamba and Holden I'd wager. But we have to make the best of what we have and we aren't.

Vela is well short and Pratley looks like he has never played football before. Up against Huddersfield's extra man in midfield it was truly embarrassing. I get you haven't watched the abomination today but I can assure you that rarely have we made such an average side look like Barcelona.

Not arguing mate! I take your word for it.

I thought Pratters and Vela were of a similar mold to a battling midfield general type, both are hasslers and both like a tackle. Now, is it because they can't be arsed? or is it Lennons fault? IMO I don't think Spearing and Medo would be any better, but that's just me.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:04 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Well I will say this. A midfield of Medo and Spearing would be better than a midfield of Vela and Pratley. No doubt about it.
and there's me remembering the amount of stick a previous manager used to get for playing medo and spearing together! :-)

seems like a case of the person not playing or being picked suddenly being ace!

+1

Insano has a short memory,swear he use to slag Spearing off!
Spearing has been very poor for his price tag. But we had nothing in the centre of midfield today. Just empty space with Pratley chasing shadows.

Spearing at least is a ball winner in theory.

In the summer I said we needed a proper midfield player. But nobody arrived. It isn't a case of a short memory. We've not had a good or even competent midfield for a long time. Not since Muamba and Holden I'd wager. But we have to make the best of what we have and we aren't.

Vela is well short and Pratley looks like he has never played football before. Up against Huddersfield's extra man in midfield it was truly embarrassing. I get you haven't watched the abomination today but I can assure you that rarely have we made such an average side look like Barcelona.

Not arguing mate! I take your word for it.

I thought Pratters and Vela were of a similar mold to a battling midfield general type, both are hasslers and both like a tackle. Now, is it because they can't be arsed? or is it Lennons fault? IMO I don't think Spearing and Medo would be any better, but that's just me.
Neither are really that type. Pratley at his best is effective making runs from midfield behind the strikers. He works hard but doesn't fill the centre of midfield. I still don't really know what Vela is. Neither great on the ball nor a physical presence. There are large parts of games where you forget he is playing. Which is worrying for a midfield man.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:11 pm

Vela maybe! But most games I've seen Pratley he was everywhere and sticking his boot in when it needed to be stuck in :D

I thought we were missing a creative type of midfielder as I feared the others were to similar.

Now I thought Sparky was that man but again he's very hit n miss and too injury prone!

I'm edging more towards hitting the reset button in Jan! We need a fresh start, club needs to breathe again!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:48 pm

I honestly don't think it matters who he puts in that midfield. They are clearly not coached to play in a way that makes it difficult for the opposition. Spearing would be first pick every game for me in the position we are in. It's fecking criminal negligence that Lennon thinks otherwise.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:30 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
They can all go for me, every one of them.
We need a complete re build, new manager & complete new team, this squad will struggle in League 1
Do you really think it's that simple: That that's a current option? ? The way thing have panned we're lucky to have a team at all right now. I shouldn't think kicking either the players or the manager is any sort of answer at this moment in time. It's all a bit lousy for everybody at present, but getting out of the mess we're in won't happen by stone-chucking or pitching a ten penny piece down the wishing well. We just have to believe it will turn for us.
Lucky to have this team ? - do me a favour, its a collection of 11 players who amble / stroll about a football pitch, imitating professional football players and look like they've never met each other before & never do a days training. Its the worst bunch of players since the early 80's - several members of this squad (including the captain) do not have the heart, fight or desire to get us out of this mess - it honestly wouldn't bother me one bit if any of them where sold this month.
In the real world we're just days away from administration and an almost certain League One future. Is that preferable to what we have right now? If so, you may well get your wish sooner than you think.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
They can all go for me, every one of them.
We need a complete re build, new manager & complete new team, this squad will struggle in League 1
Do you really think it's that simple: That that's a current option? ? The way thing have panned we're lucky to have a team at all right now. I shouldn't think kicking either the players or the manager is any sort of answer at this moment in time. It's all a bit lousy for everybody at present, but getting out of the mess we're in won't happen by stone-chucking or pitching a ten penny piece down the wishing well. We just have to believe it will turn for us.
Lucky to have this team ? - do me a favour, its a collection of 11 players who amble / stroll about a football pitch, imitating professional football players and look like they've never met each other before & never do a days training. Its the worst bunch of players since the early 80's - several members of this squad (including the captain) do not have the heart, fight or desire to get us out of this mess - it honestly wouldn't bother me one bit if any of them where sold this month.
In the real world we're just days away from administration and an almost certain League One future. Is that preferable to what we have right now? If so, you may well get your wish sooner than you think.
But does the dire fiinancial situation let the manager/players off the hook? I think not. Lennon has done an appalling job, and it galls me to say that because it means I was wrong! Players have shown some ability coupled with a disgraceful lack of mental strength when up against it. We have a wage bill well above the bottom 3 as I understans it, and a squad featuring internationals and premier league experience.
I disagree logically with PT's 'sweep the board' statement, but know where he's coming from. Lucky to have this team though? I think not.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:18 am

I'm sick of Madine. Absolutely useless. Maybe we should go for broke and try a Stokealona system with Clough as the focal point flanked by Silva and Feeney. It can't be worse than Gary fecking Madine and the current system. Lennon can feck off too. We've had a string of charlatan managers since Sam left, and I don't say this lightly, especially with Owen Coyle gunning for the award but he is the worst of the lot(Freedman probably the best, what a depressing thought that is).

The 4-4-2 has come back into fashion but it's not the variant of the 90s premier league version. Teams like Watford and Leicester play a compact midfield, work hard and play for their strikers. They don't have Gary fecking Madine though, they've got brilliant forwards that can change games. Our system, is so wide open, you could drive an articulated lorry through the centre. It's like Coyle all over again. We've got to shore that midfield up, either get another man in there or two defensive midfielders in a 4-4-2 who break up play. Spearing has to start regardless imo.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:07 am

Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't? I imagine there wouldn't have been widespread delight if Danns or Spearing came on to chase the game.

I do think it's notable how Lennon seems to have stopped making substitutions. Feels like Twardzik, Dobbie etc are as much pine-riding space-fillers as Rachubka.
The change was very obviously needed well before they scored. Everyone in the ground could see it. Vela and Pratley were outnumbered and aren't dominant midfield players by any stretch. We needed someone else in there. It was obvious from before half time.

medo??
Well I will say this. A midfield of Medo and Spearing would be better than a midfield of Vela and Pratley. No doubt about it.
You don't know that. We think this and that, and argue that this would be better than that, but it always turns out that everything and everyone is crap.

We're worried (or at least I am - or was) about an exodus and seeing our best players leave in January, but if we're anchored to the bottom of the league and still churning out poor performances, what exactly are we going to miss? Performances just aren't getting better.
Weren't we berating one of the previous know nowt managers for playing Medo and Spearing together? We'll be lamenting the loss of Knight at this rate :shock:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The only way out is new owners who replace the manager and team. That is the only way out.
No it isn't. Players and manager bucking their ideas up and playing to something approaching their potential is a way out. I agree it is unlikely, but it is possible.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:51 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The only way out is new owners who replace the manager and team. That is the only way out.
No it isn't. Players and manager bucking their ideas up and playing to something approaching their potential is a way out. I agree it is unlikely, but it is possible.
indeed. I still refuse to believe that the best this squad is capable of is to be adrift at the bottom of the league. first and most important job of a football club manager (in my opinion) is to get the absolute best out of the resources he has in the situation he finds himself in.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 am

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
indeed. I still refuse to believe that the best this squad is capable of is to be adrift at the bottom of the league. first and most important job of a football club manager (in my opinion) is to get the absolute best out of the resources he has in the situation he finds himself in.
Believe what you like and as I've said on numerous occasions everyone is entitled to their opinion & I agree that Lennon is failing greatly as a manager - he's not a motivator or a tactician and the team looks & plays like no one has trained or coached and is equally to blame for this, but we have some sulking shit house players who don't give a shit about BWFC or the supporters, their body language 2nd half yesterday was shocking they didn't break sweat or look like they wanted to. We may get out of this but only if we get the takeover done in the next 2 weeks and we bring in a manager who knows how to manage and we have a lot of luck - I've said it before and I'll stick to it, we have a spineless bunch of mard arsed players.

We need a couple of leaders on the pitch as currently we have none - no one yesterday was trying to gee the players up, get them fighting - Pratley was quiet as a mouse, ambling around the pitch, clueless with his head down.

Also Lennon looks to me like he's lost interest & doesn't want to be here - complete & utter shambles on & off the pitch. We have an owner & chairman who have got us into this mess and a manager & set of players who don't have the mental toughness or ability to get us out of it.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I'm sick of Madine. Absolutely useless. Maybe we should go for broke and try a Stokealona system with Clough as the focal point flanked by Silva and Feeney. It can't be worse than Gary fecking Madine and the current system. Lennon can feck off too. We've had a string of charlatan managers since Sam left, and I don't say this lightly, especially with Owen Coyle gunning for the award but he is the worst of the lot(Freedman probably the best, what a depressing thought that is).

The 4-4-2 has come back into fashion but it's not the variant of the 90s premier league version. Teams like Watford and Leicester play a compact midfield, work hard and play for their strikers. They don't have Gary fecking Madine though, they've got brilliant forwards that can change games. Our system, is so wide open, you could drive an articulated lorry through the centre. It's like Coyle all over again. We've got to shore that midfield up, either get another man in there or two defensive midfielders in a 4-4-2 who break up play. Spearing has to start regardless imo.

What did you want Madine to do yesterday then? We spent the majority of that game shanking it up to him to try and beat two centre-backs in the air to.

He's not a great footballer but we don't help the bloke out at all.

Same with Feeney, he's not perfect but we give him the ball with four men around him then all bugger off in the opposite direction.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:I'm sick of Madine. Absolutely useless. Maybe we should go for broke and try a Stokealona system with Clough as the focal point flanked by Silva and Feeney. It can't be worse than Gary fecking Madine and the current system. Lennon can feck off too. We've had a string of charlatan managers since Sam left, and I don't say this lightly, especially with Owen Coyle gunning for the award but he is the worst of the lot(Freedman probably the best, what a depressing thought that is).

What did you want Madine to do yesterday then? We spent the majority of that game shanking it up to him to try and beat two centre-backs in the air to.

Same with Feeney, he's not perfect but we give him the ball with four men around him then all bugger off in the opposite direction.
The problem with Madine is he is a big lad who plays like a fairy. The ball never sticks with him. He can't hold it up. If he did I think we'd be a far more effective side.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:

The problem with Madine is he is a big lad who plays like a fairy. The ball never sticks with him. He can't hold it up. If he did I think we'd be a far more effective side.
He can hold it up. Just not indefinitely while the bone idle midfield decide to turn up.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:06 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Evidence dictates otherwise! Some of these dicks have played under 3 managers and been continually shite and been paid way over the odds!

Fwiw I agree they are under performing but we've lacked backbone, the ability to dig in for a good 5 or 6 years now. Pratley as captain about sums it up. I'd be up for a good clearing of the decks but who on earth is going to pay the wages they are after? Hopefully common sense will prevail for a few of 'em. Other than missing seeing Clough and Vela develop under a decent manager and coach I'm not fecked about any of 'em really. And thats just really a desire to see a couple of our own come through.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Agree, although I'm not sure Spearing is ever the answer to a question, it is desperate times.

From 25 minutes on the pressing, which had worked well really, naturally had to subside (your mate Madine in particular appeared to completely run out of gas or will to chase down the defenders) and after that it was 65 minutes of Lennon watching us cut to death by a thousand passes, with no reaction other than to chuck on Silva (who actually did more harm than good).

At half time something had to change given what happened from 25-45 minutes and within a minute of the second half they were passing right through, and carried on after. They looked like a well coached team, and we.. didn't.

Let's hope we have more luck off the field as I would hate for that to be our last home game!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;