A happy No Non Sense new year! - Huddersfield (H) 02/01/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A happy No Non Sense new year! - Huddersfield (H) 02/01/

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:He's no McAteer or Muamba and IMO will never get to that level, but Vela is certainly no worse than any of the others, IMO he's over rated. He's had enough games now to show what he can do, but for me he is one of those players who just does enough - he never looks interested to me and coasts through games going through the motions, saying that so do most of the other players.

He may possibly have the ability to improve under a different manager but I personally don't see it, he looks like he has an attitude problem to me, and if Cardiff still want to offer us £450k for him I'd snap there hands off.
Is there any reason that you feel he has an attitude problem or is it just how he appears? Nothing that I have seen from him suggests anything of the sort, in fact quite the opposite.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:30 pm

I agree with the above. I also don't understand these suggestions that he's overrated. Who's rating him ridiculously highly? It seems to me that some folk have got it into their heads that Vela has become some sort of poster boy for our academy with our fans; an overrated, preening talent who hasn't come good on all that was expected of him, and instead has an attitude problem.

The reality, IMHO, is that he's just a decent young player with plenty of potential, one who needs a proper run of games in the centre of midfield with a consistent partner.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Jugs wrote:I agree with the above. I also don't understand these suggestions that he's overrated. Who's rating him ridiculously highly? It seems to me that some folk have got it into their heads that Vela has become some sort of poster boy for our academy; an overrated, preening talent who hasn't come good on all that was expected of him, and instead has an attitude problem.

The reality, IMHO, is that he's just a decent young player with plenty of potential, one who needs a proper run of games in the centre of midfield with a consistent partner.
I think that sums it up for me, Jugs.

I remember him making a number of important tackles on Saturday but never did I think he was strolling around uninterested. Some people see a different game to me.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Jugs wrote:I agree with the above. I also don't understand these suggestions that he's overrated. Who's rating him ridiculously highly? It seems to me that some folk have got it into their heads that Vela has become some sort of poster boy for our academy with our fans; an overrated, preening talent who hasn't come good on all that was expected of him, and instead has an attitude problem.

I would agree. Also, I think it speaks volumes that he is one of the few players we have that a fee is being mooted for.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 pm

I think the overrating thing is people wanting him to do well resulting in a clamour for his inclusion.
So far he is no better than an average Championship player, but could mature into more. As he's not being paid that much then he's worth keeping over Davies or Spearing for example. And he could be an asset in league 1, where we'll most likely be heading.
Someone also made a good point about it being difficult to make an impact in a struggling side, same as Clough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:18 am

Vela is 22. Not some teenage lad. I get PTs thing about him strolling. I don't think he isn't trying he just doesn't seem to cover enough ground for me. Perhaps he isn't suited to a harassing and chasing role.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:32 am

Lennon in the BN: Formation was fine, BWFCi, don't blame me.
There are times when I look at myself and ask ‘did I do enough today?’ But this time the preparation was good and the way we set up was good. We are doing all we can as a backroom team.
It was working. We got them in at half time and decided to tweak it a little bit but they couldn’t get to grips with it so we went back to the original formation.
You can talk about formations all you want, it’s about players at the end of the day. We analyse teams and do everything we can but the difficulty is that we can’t add to the squad and we might lose players as well. It’s going to get tougher.
Maybe some players are at their level, others are playing above their level, and there are some that are good enough to play at this level but are not playing well enough – on that evidence at least.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Lennon in the BN: Formation was fine, BWFCi, don't blame me.
There are times when I look at myself and ask ‘did I do enough today?’ But this time the preparation was good and the way we set up was good. We are doing all we can as a backroom team.
It was working. We got them in at half time and decided to tweak it a little bit but they couldn’t get to grips with it so we went back to the original formation.
You can talk about formations all you want, it’s about players at the end of the day. We analyse teams and do everything we can but the difficulty is that we can’t add to the squad and we might lose players as well. It’s going to get tougher.
Maybe some players are at their level, others are playing above their level, and there are some that are good enough to play at this level but are not playing well enough – on that evidence at least.
I wonder how he explains that cracking run we went on when he first burst through the doors.

I wonder what level that Kamara is operating at?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Lennon in the BN: Formation was fine, BWFCi, don't blame me.
The problem was not inconsistency but we were totally outplayed. Huddersfield are a nice tidy footballing side and were much better than us.

There was an element of luck with the first goal. Their player shot from just outside the box and Amos dived to his left to cover the corner of the goal. The ball hits Prince's hand and drops back to the same player who only had to roll it into the net. It was something similar with the second goal. Either way we didn't deserve anything from the game. Apart from the first 15 or 20 minutes we didn't dominate any areas of the pitch or game.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:10 am

It is Owen Coyle all over again. It isn't so much formation just the fact that we were getting battered in midfield and nothing was done to rectify that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:17 am

What a disgraceful performance.

Almost as bad, as having to make 4 changes for the sake of 1 sub that shouldn't have been made. A clusterfuck of epic proportions.

What the fvck has happened to Prince?! Most abject defensive performance in terms of decision making since Tim Ream v West Brom
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:35 am

I warned the club about this in a letter many months ago... I reminded them of the ancient curse which states that we have to have at least TWO player-Davies/Davis's at the club such that we have to amusingly merge their names into Mavis and Cravies and Kavies and Savis...

but now we only have one - it's like the ravens at London Tower...

but they would not listen!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:38 am

boltonboris wrote:What a disgraceful performance.

Almost as bad, as having to make 4 changes for the sake of 1 sub that shouldn't have been made. A clusterfuck of epic proportions.

What the fvck has happened to Prince?! Most abject defensive performance in terms of decision making since Tim Ream v West Brom
Prince looked really good first game and he's kept some goodwill with the fans through the odd audacious tackle that comes off and gets people cheering. Really though he's awful, far worse than Ream IMO. A liability every game who you just can't rely on. I hope his loan is ended early.
Maybe time to try Derik again or Finney/Taylor. I don't want Dervite anywhere near, he's a shocker as well.
Sad state of affairs all round.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:59 am

Prince's confidence has gone. Completely. I'd suggest his head has too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Prince's confidence has gone. Completely. I'd suggest his head has too.
I'm not convinced there was much between the ears to begin with.
The only answer when we can't revamp the squad is to replace Lennon with someone who knows the bottom end of a division. I imagine this will happen fairly soon.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Prince's confidence has gone. Completely. I'd suggest his head has too.
what does the phrase "his head has gone" actually mean?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:20 am

thebish wrote:
He's lost his cool and continually panics. Doesn't think clearly on the pitch.

He still has the pace and makes some great recovery challenges. Trouble is he has to because usually it is recovery from his own mistake.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
He's lost his cool and continually panics. Doesn't think clearly on the pitch.

He still has the pace and makes some great recovery challenges. Trouble is he has to because usually it is recovery from his own mistake.
so - in saying he has lost his head - that would mean that he used to be cool, not panic and he used to demonstrate an ability to think clearly on the pitch?

how do you separate that from "his confidence has completely gone" - or are they the same thing?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 am

Jugs wrote:I agree with the above. I also don't understand these suggestions that he's overrated. Who's rating him ridiculously highly? It seems to me that some folk have got it into their heads that Vela has become some sort of poster boy for our academy with our fans; an overrated, preening talent who hasn't come good on all that was expected of him, and instead has an attitude problem.

Sorry, but at his age if the 'potential' has not been found nor tapped into, he never is going to be a 'world beater' nor 'superstar'.
He maybe a better midfielder than I, but then again, I was a goalkeeper.
Any money we can raise from his sale would be helpful both to the club and the player.
It's sad we have to spend so much time debating and arguing over a young kid when we have a bunch of so called, useless, well paid tossers who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and a w*nker of a manager who frankly would struggle to get pissed in a brewery!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:36 am

Hoboh wrote:He maybe a better midfielder than I, but then again, I was a goalkeeper.
:lol:
Hoboh wrote:manager who frankly would struggle to get pissed in a brewery!
I'd argue that point.