Lennon out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lennon out!

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Back on subject. Ever since I stuck my head over the parapet and called for Lennon to be sacked off, there have been three arguments against:
1. We can't afford it.
2. Give him time.
3. He'll be alright if we give some him some dosh to spend, poor bugger's been duped.

Is there anyone out there now who doesn't agree that:
1. We can't afford not to bin him.
2. He's had too much time.
3. He couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery even if he was introduced to a group of piss artists already ensconced in a brewery.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm with TAB's point 2.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Back on subject. Ever since I stuck my head over the parapet and called for Lennon to be sacked off, there have been three arguments against:
1. We can't afford it.
2. Give him time.
3. He'll be alright if we give some him some dosh to spend, poor bugger's been duped.

3. He couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery even if he was introduced to a group of piss artists already ensconced in a brewery.

my only reservation was 1) - and I still don't know if we can afford it...

what's the financial penalty revenue-wise for dropping down another division?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:46 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:1) We can't answer until the takeover is ratified by the Football League, and we can actually gauge how much clout SSC have. I think they are likely to replace at the end of the season, possibly before if we keep losing
2) He's had enough time to arrest our slide using players he's signed. His tactics and selections have been woeful at times, so even though he's been dealt a crap hand he's managed it poorly
3) I think that given some financial backing from the start he could have done well, but this is based on too many variables to agree or disagree with any authority
1. Even if SSC don't take over (which I can't see not happening) even Eddie could take a short term hit, sack him, and be financially better off long term with the improvement that should occur.
2. You agree fully there then.
3. The argument wasn't about whether he'd have made a go of it with money from the start, but whether he'd make a go of it with money from now on. My main argument against this is it'd be cheaper to sack rather than rely on him overcoming his shortcomings demonstrated by point 2.

Which in conclusion means you agree with me, mostly. *puts words in mouth*
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:50 pm

I think we're 8m down next season regardless (parachute payments) and I guess gate receipts and sponsorship etc is going to be down a few million. Not as drastic a drop as the premiership, but given we've still a few big contracts it will hurt.

I'm not sure changing manager will make a difference with the players we have short term, but we can barely do worse than now. Whoever replaces lennon needs some proper experience of div 2/3

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I think we're 8m down next season regardless (parachute payments) and I guess gate receipts and sponsorship etc is going to be down a few million. Not as drastic a drop as the premiership, but given we've still a few big contracts it will hurt.

I'm not sure changing manager will make a difference with the players we have short term, but we can barely do worse than now. Whoever replaces lennon needs some proper experience of div 2/3

aye - i guess sponsorship is down.. gate receipts? if we started winning - might go up?? :conf:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Back on subject. Ever since I stuck my head over the parapet and called for Lennon to be sacked off, there have been three arguments against:
1. We can't afford it.
2. Give him time.

my only reservation was 1) - and I still don't know if we can afford it...

what's the financial penalty revenue-wise for dropping down another division?
Circa £5 million I believe, purely from quoted figures, I have no breakdown of tv revenue, gate monies etc.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I think we're 8m down next season regardless (parachute payments) and I guess gate receipts and sponsorship etc is going to be down a few million. Not as drastic a drop as the premiership, but given we've still a few big contracts it will hurt.

aye - i guess sponsorship is down.. gate receipts? if we started winning - might go up?? :conf:
Can't remember attendances last time in div 3,but I'm sure they were well down on current ones. We certainly won't be able to bank on Leeds to bring 6k to boost the gates! I think gate receipts become more important in the lower divisions. In the premiership it almost doesn't matter when you add in the TV money now.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:44 pm

I wonder if the Chairman-elect is considering himself as a managerial candidate. Is there owt to stop someone being Chairman and Manager?
I doubt he'd be any good; indeed, his record sounds Lennonesque:-
"Holdsworth was appointed manager at Conference South side Chelmsford City in May 2013.[85] However, after eight defeats in 13 league games his contract with Chelmsford was ended by mutual consent in November 2013".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

thebish wrote:aye - i guess sponsorship is down.. gate receipts? if we started winning - might go up?? :conf:
Very little chance of that, judging by history, and that's when the game was more affordable.

Frankly I'm amazed we've clung on around the 14k mark this season. Last time we were in Div Three that was an unusually big crowd, maybe three or four times a season.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I can quite easily imagine Holdsworth managing us until the end of the season. He's had some success as a manager, albeit at Div Two level and below. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Holdsworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I hadn't realised is that he'd been Browny's assistant at Derby.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:32 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:I can quite easily imagine Holdsworth managing us until the end of the season. He's had some success as a manager, albeit at Div Two level and below. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Holdsworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I hadn't realised is that he'd been Browny's assistant at Derby.
I see a future... About twelve weeks worth.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:21 pm

If Jimmy doesn't fancy it what about David Lee stepping up?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Or Madine? He can't be a worse manager than he is a striker, and at least he's got balls. Win win. (actually probably lose, lose, draw, lose, lose, lose...).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:If Jimmy doesn't fancy it what about David Lee stepping up?
Would you notice ????
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:aye - i guess sponsorship is down.. gate receipts? if we started winning - might go up?? :conf:
Very little chance of that, judging by history, and that's when the game was more affordable.

Frankly I'm amazed we've clung on around the 14k mark this season. Last time we were in Div Three that was an unusually big crowd, maybe three or four times a season.
I remember anything over 10k being a big crowd, so I think we'll still get more than at Burnden. Difference is that 10k at Burnden felt like a big deal, at the Macron it's noticeably empty. Bring back the terraces!

On that point, we get to stand up again at some grounds next season. Yay relegation! :pissed:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:If Jimmy doesn't fancy it what about David Lee stepping up?
Would you notice ????
Very good, Bobo, I did have a very childish giggle at that one :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Or Madine? He can't be a worse manager than he is a striker, and at least he's got balls. Win win. (actually probably lose, lose, draw, lose, lose, lose...).
Not against a big tough centre half he's not.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:09 am

Still of the opinion that Lennon is nowhere near as bad as his record suggests, but even I accept that I don't think he can turn this around. He isn't as good as he needed to be to handle this situation, although to do so he would've had to have been very good indeed.

We're down regardless though, so might as well let Lennon take the heat and the new saviour of choice can start afresh next season with something approaching optimism.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51 am

Tombwfc wrote:Still of the opinion that Lennon is nowhere near as bad as his record suggests, but even I accept that I don't think he can turn this around. He isn't as good as he needed to be to handle this situation, although to do so he would've had to have been very good indeed.

We're down regardless though, so might as well let Lennon take the heat and the new saviour of choice can start afresh next season with something approaching optimism.
Disagree. Look at the squad. It's not as bad as the league position suggests. Yes I'm pissed off with the players for not performing despite the bad management, but it's been dreadful. There are too many bad decisions to list.
I feel a bit sorry for the guy because he came in with good intentions and had the rug pulled from under him, but he still should've done better than this. I think he's given up, not as a conscious decision, but just as someone who really doesn't have a clue how to deal with the situation that's so different from his easy job in Scotland. Out of all the managers in the Scottish Prem, he's probably the worst we could have had in terms of suitability.
All this is hindsight of course, I was delighted when he joined us.