The breaking News thread...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The breaking News thread...

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... orse_race/

Also this from ED.

One horse race, only Sports Shield put the money down.

Which is why of course, ED was on Sky Sports News on the Friday evening before the February court appearance (where the deal with SS was signed) stating that it was a four horse race with the preferred bidder status to be granted "next week".....
Absolutely - What should happen with negotiations when you're selling something of course is announce to any and all parties how many there are and exactly how much they've bid. Preferred bidder status was indeed announced the next week.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Also this from ED.

Which is why of course, ED was on Sky Sports News on the Friday evening before the February court appearance (where the deal with SS was signed) stating that it was a four horse race with the preferred bidder status to be granted "next week".....
Absolutely - What should happen with negotiations when you're selling something of course is announce to any and all parties how many there are and exactly how much they've bid. Preferred bidder status was indeed announced the next week.
No it wasn't. The SPA was signed on the Monday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Also this from ED.

No it wasn't. The SPA was signed on the Monday.
Ahh I see you're arguing the toss between preferred bidder and two parties with a SPA prior to concluding a deal...ok..6 and two threes...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote: hang on... I thought his view was that ED was stalling on a whim despite them having put all the money down on the table and ticked every box asked of them??? If they haven't got any money - then surely it was right for ED to take his time, no?? :conf:
They did and have produced the money necessary to run the club this season and next. Nobody else could even do that.

So they were the best (only) option. The stalling has only made our ultimate position worse or at the very least not improved it. Financially or football wise.

hang on!!

but you just said: "Oh, Nixon was well off over the takeover. Though ultimately his view they had no real money may turn out correct."

both those bolded bits that you have offered (on the same page) can't be right, surely??? :conf:

they can't have produced the money yet also have no real money... can they?
Last edited by thebish on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:34 pm

I need to start drinking...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote: hang on... I thought his view was that ED was stalling on a whim despite them having put all the money down on the table and ticked every box asked of them??? If they haven't got any money - then surely it was right for ED to take his time, no?? :conf:
They did and have produced the money necessary to run the club this season and next. Nobody else could even do that.

So they were the best (only) option. The stalling has only made our ultimate position worse or at the very least not improved it. Financially or football wise.

hang on!!

but you just said: "Oh, Nixon was well off over the takeover. Though ultimately his view they had no real money may turn out correct."

both those bolded bits that you have offered (on the same page) can't be right, surely??? :conf:

they can't have produced the money yet also have no real money... can they?
Real Money in the context Nixon was initially talking (way back in 2015) = millions to bankroll the club and improve the team. He felt on the basis he didn't think they had that sort of cash that they weren't serious bidders. It may be that if that was your definition there weren't going to be any serious bidders.

Sports shield seem to have found enough to keep the club running this season and next. Which is great, but it doesn't seem like we'll have much facility to improve the team. And depending upon the rumours going round it isn't their money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm

If we really need to even entertain the thought that our new owners don't know and haven't thought about and planned for more than Nixon, Iles's and all the rest of the casual commenters, then we really have got problems.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Does anybody know if we've finally submitted the missing part of our accounts and got the transfer embargo lifted yet?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I need to start drinking...
You do, mate. You've avoided it for too long. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:39 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14 ... ef=mr&lp=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:08 am

“That is people coming to great conclusions with zero information”. He can't be referring to anyone on here.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:38 am

^^^ it does suggest that some of the ill informed criticism weighed on him. He made big mistakes but the tin-foil hat wearers won't have helped him think "I'll carry on, coz it is appreciated by my fellow Boltonians".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:07 am

His opinion on the way history recorded his actions in the last few months here won't change the history of what actually happened here. Thanks for the memories Eddie, but you know, that HMRC bill and the non and then late payment of staff wasn't a figment of our imaginations. Or, I'm guessing, the Journo's. Though let's not mistake this post as a defence for journalism per se.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:18 am

Aye, his comments do rather substantiate the view that he is not used to any criticism and takes a dim view of being questioned.

This could have all been so different if he'd simply answered some questions along the way via a few statements. There are many things he could have explained that weren't subject to an NDA or highly secretive business information. He didn't have to explain them but the end result of choosing that route is where we sit now.

As it stands he gambled with the club's future by not paying the tax bill even after the sale of assets. He also let the club staff go unpaid.

Those are the things that stick in the throat for me and will continue to do so unless he was to provide an adequate explanation for his actions.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:33 am

The tax bill I can cope with, given that ... in the end ... it was going to get paid. Not paying staff .... not the players, some of those deserved not paying, but ordinary people earning very ordinary salaries, was very poor and does his other arguments no benefit.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:46 am

^^ I'm missing any sort of denial from him that those things occurred?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:30 am

Is a valid point.

However, I would suggest the context and thrust of the article is (and I'm guessing, purely guessing) that after months of silence (where in the article himself he says people made up stuff on the basis of zero evidence) is an attempt to put his side of the story. Which of course is in the classic claim-and-counter-claim culture we have of spun PR these days.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:37 am

bobo the clown wrote:The tax bill I can cope with, given that ... in the end ... it was going to get paid. Not paying staff .... not the players, some of those deserved not paying, but ordinary people earning very ordinary salaries, was very poor and does his other arguments no benefit.
Aye, that's the one point I think he comes out definitely shitty on.

Tax bill was a gamble to rush a sale. Big risk, but it paid off. Will be interesting to areassess how pans out after years of waiting for a perfect buyer before rushing this through.

Don't think we'll ever know, but interesting to ponder whether any if our suitors on the Prem years, when ED was much fussier, would have been better bets.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:47 am

The months of silence bit...hasn't that been years of silence, through the better times too? I don't recall Davies giving many interviews when we were doing well either. Gartside, a bit more forthcoming. But, really? Most businesses in trouble give weekly updates on the ins and outs to the press?

Be a bit realistic.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:49 am

Well yes, but why not maintain the silence now?