The breaking News thread...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The breaking News thread...

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:45 am

I agree with BWFCI (words you don't hear much on this forum).

Our players collectively combine to make the worst Bolton team I have ever seen. Some were born shit, some have had shitness thrust upon them by the circumstances and the players surrounding them.

However, I don't wish them ill or believe they should spend every waking hour they're not at the training ground running up Rivington or studying clips of Youri Djorkaeff on Youtube. As long as they turn up on time to training, put the effort in and do what the manager asks, I hope they do enjoy their time off. They're probably not bad people (Madine excepted, he almost certainly is).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm

I reckon there's only one measure of "performance" that counts - which is the League table (putting aside all the Cup wins, for a moment)...

Had they fcked off after getting tonked 6-0 at Bristol, it might have no bearing whatsoever on the performance against Reading in a weeks time. Whilst we could never prove that (we might surmise), I think it would probably be imprudent to post such a picture to an open group - that bit's just common sense. I'd be pi$$ed if I'd forked out money to head to Bristol and the time associated with it to watch what by all accounts was a spineless performance, to find out that whilst I DID sulk about it on the Monday, the perps were on a jolly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:30 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:With that photo, even if it had been last week.....Does it matter that much?

I mean we know footballers are overpaid shitheads who on the whole care little about the club they turn out for. They also tend to lead lifestyles that most of us cannot get near to. If they had all gone on a jolly a few days after losing 6-0 I doubt in reality it makes that much difference. And whilst that photo being posted on social media may be a bit insensitive, it wouldn't alter the fact they had gone away.

And as the photo is out of date anyway, does anyone think after going down 6-0 they all stayed at home and sulked? I suspect some did go on a nice holiday for a few days or spent a few days on the golf course etc....

The problem is only when their off the field activities impact upon their on field performance.

But even if all our players stayed at home and were tucked up in bed at 9pm every night they'd still be mentally weak come Saturday kick off time.
I've been off the grid for a few days, so this has all passed by me, but the problem with that metric is that it's entirely subjective, which is why there's been (now wrongful with it being an old photo) criticism of the photo. How are we to know, or define, how their performances are being affected either positively or negatively by hypothetically going on a jolly? Not trying to start an argument or anything, just saying that whilst you're largely correct, how do you define how and when their performances are being affected by off the field activities? Were we not criticising Lennon a few months back for some of his, admittedly worse, off the field activities?
Yeah it isn't black and white. I mean a few managers down the years have argued that any drinking of alcohol has a negative affect on performance on the field. There is probably a balance.

I'd say a weekend away during the international break is probably ok. Getting hammered on a night or two before a game isn't.

The club hopefully has a set of internal rules that players should stick to and hopefully those rules ensure players are at peak fitness if they follow them.

As for Lennon's reported antics, if true they are in a slightly different light. They show him perhaps not being focussed on his job (which is a more intensive job time wise than the players have) and possible severely distracted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:37 pm

What's to get all het up about? Jimmy Phillips has a decent record with the younger end and I can't see him starting off by inviting criticism. The pic is claimed to be an old one and it's a posed one with just one player with a drink (I doubt he'll be drinking bacardi through a straw).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Why's Madine wearing Freddy Krueger's hat?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Let's face it, not everyone is as dedicated to their craft as Ronaldo. I don't know for real, but I can't imagine a lad like Madine working on his shooting during a break when he can go and get leathered and shag some skirt in Ibiza instead.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm minded to think it's worth giving them all a couple of pints half hour before kick off come Saturday. Might free up a few inhibitions and bring out a stellar performance.

Certainly can't see it doing any harm.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:17 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote: That's true, and I largely agree, but my point is about how you're (general "you" rather than "you" you) defining the latter? If after a heavy loss the players first thoughts are on a holiday away, and I acknowledge that the photo in this instance is old but it can and does happen (re: Spearing), then to me that suggests that they're perhaps not fully focused on the current situation either. I mean everyone does deserve a break, but it's also about the perception of dedication that it causes (which was my irritation towards Spearing's break, it was poorly timed and thought out even if he didn't upload it). I agree with Worthy to an extent, there's only one real metric you can measure regarding on the pitch performances and that's results, and they have been awful. For what it's worth I don't think a holiday would have made the blindest bit of difference at the moment, I believe we're where we are because our team is simply not good enough, but my point of contention is how you can truly define what off-field activities impact match performances, and to what level? Whether by distraction or lack of dedication and commitment?
Well, I think we know that the days of players (on the whole) really caring deeply for their clubs is gone.

I wouldn't blame players after losing 6-0 to immediately think about their weekend holiday or whatever. How many of us after a bad week at work, cancel our weekend plans to sit at home and reflect on our poor week?

Doubt it happens often. Whilst emotionally the instinct is to slate underperforming footballers for enjoying themselves I think the reality is they will do it whether photographed on social media or not.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I asked the lads what they had to say about going away enjoying themselves 9 months before getting beaten 6-0 by Bristol City. "Nothing at all". A mealy mouthed reply.

Also, the idea that Nadine practises her shooting is a terrifying prospect.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:I asked the lads what they had to say about going away enjoying themselves 9 months before getting beaten 6-0 by Bristol City. "Nothing at all". A mealy mouthed reply.

And there's almost certainly some Health and Safety or Central Aviation Authority legislation it would contravene.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:52 pm

I saw Darren Pratley yesterday at the Macron Stadium (well in the Retail part), so I'm presuming Jiminho had them training yesterday?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:05 pm

twilight wrote:I saw Darren Pratley yesterday at the Macron Stadium (well in the Retail part), so I'm presuming Jiminho had them training yesterday?
Maybe he just likes the area. So many happy memories, building our own destiny.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
twilight wrote:I saw Darren Pratley yesterday at the Macron Stadium (well in the Retail part), so I'm presuming Jiminho had them training yesterday?
Offish Twit has them resuming training this morning -

Morning all. #BWFC are back in training at Lostock this morning ahead of the weekend's game against @ReadingFC.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:46 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Offish Twit has them resuming training this morning -

Morning all. #BWFC are back in training at Lostock this morning ahead of the weekend's game against @ReadingFC.
I don't care much either way whether they were in training yesterday - smacks of Titanic deckchairs, and as has been wisely said by others I'm not one for punitive training - but semantically, yon tweet doesn't actually mean they weren't in training yesterday...

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:08 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ing_again/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bolton News says that Jimmy didn't give them time off last week,he had individual and group talks about tactics and then they resumed full training yesterday.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:07 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I asked the lads what they had to say about going away enjoying themselves 9 months before getting beaten 6-0 by Bristol City. "Nothing at all". A mealy mouthed reply.

And there's almost certainly some Health and Safety or Central Aviation Authority legislation it would contravene.

:lol:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:21 am

Have Lion of Vienna peaked too early for April Fools Day? Surely they haven't forgotten that there are 31 days in March?

I hope it is not supposed to be a funny article because all it makes them do is look like idiots.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... -very-core" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lion of Vienna wrote:Sources close to LOVS have given us information about a conspiracy which goes to the very top of the Eddie Davies regime.

The other day we were alerted to a potential conspiracy in the comments section on this very site. So we went away and talked to our sources to see what they had to say on the matter, and does not make good reading. A source close to LOVS, who would rather remain nameless, has given us some information that will change everything. Batten down the hatches people this is going to blow you away.

We are hearing that the powers that be at Bolton Wanderers conspired to keep the club in the Championship ever since their relegation four years ago. There are also indications that this conspiracy goes further with those involved having conspired to get the club relegated from the Premier League in the first place.

A well placed source tells us that the club deliberately drew to Blackpool on the last day of the season in order to miss out on the play-off places during our first season back in the second tier. Our source claims that former Trotters boss Dougie Freedman was in on this along with young West Ham United loanee Rob Hall.

Our source claims that it was this goal which led to the club not extending the loan deal for Craig Dawson from West Bromwich Albion. The motives behind bringing him in on loan in the first place remain unclear, but we can assume they were equally sinister.

As for the plan to get Bolton relegated in this first place Owen Coyle was brought in as Eddie Davies’ lieutenant to do just this. This goal is what led to the club signing players such as David N’Gog and Marvin Sordell for big fees. There can be no dispute that this makes sense, why else would you pay £4 million for N’Gog? It is also indicated that Gary Megson’s sacking was due to his refusal to go along with the plan, hence his hatred for Bolton since.

The source further claims that Coyle’s sacking was all part of the cover up. Sacking Coyle was supposed to indicate that those high up in the club had their sights firmly set on a return to the top flight when this was in actual fact not their goal at all. The decision was aided by the fact that figures high up in the Eddie Davies regime had identified Freedman as a man far better placed to bring about mediocrity than Coyle.

At this point the motives behind this conspiracy are unknown. Another source, clearly fearful for his life, told us that Eddie Davies is the Devil himself in human form and that Freedman is one of his Demon spawn. We are unable to verify this claim.

This also explains the timing of Eddie Davies selling up as his dream of a Championship Bolton Wanderers is coming to an end. This though is mere speculation which has not been substantiated.

We here at LOVS will bring you more information on what people are calling Championship-gate as and when we get it.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:25 am

I think it's supposed to be satirical. But then, satire's supposed to be funny.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think it's supposed to be satirical. But then, satire's supposed to be funny.
Same view from here.

Not even a titter.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:39 am

Good Lord.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.