Holden Comeback Pt. 27

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Holden Comeback Pt. 27

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 pm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/01/1 ... back-trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After a litany of injuries over several years put his playing career in jeopardy, Stuart Holden is finally returning to the field.

Holden, who was last capped for the US national team in 2013 amid a string of serious knee injuries, has joined the USMNT training camp currently underway in Carson, California.

According to a report from ESPNFC, USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann invited the 30-year-old to the camp that began Monday and is scheduled to run through the first week of February.

The former Houston Dynamo star has not been named to the squad that will play in friendlies against Iceland on Jan. 31 and Canada on Feb. 5.

Holden’s first career setback came in 2011 when he was playing for Bolton Wanderers against Manchester United; he fractured the femur in his left knee and was sidelined for the better part of a year.

He returned to form in 2013, but tore his right ACL with the USMNT in the Gold Cup. In his return match with Bolton’s reserve squad in 2014, he re-injured his knee, with manager Dougie Freedman saying, “Unfortunately, Stuart’s knee has gone.”

Despite those setbacks, and a blossoming career as a broadcaster for ESPN and FOX Sports, Stuart continued to train in an effort to return to the pitch. This winter he trained in California with a group of MLS players that included Benny Feilhaber and Dom Dwyer of Sporting Kansas City, the New York Red Bulls' Sacha Kljestan, Servando Carrasco of Orlando City, the LA Galaxy's AJ DeLaGarza, Hector Jimenez of the Columbus Crew, and D.C. United's Steve Birnbaum.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Holden Comeback Pt. 27

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:03 pm

His first career setback was when he was twatted in Newcastle by a Sunderland supporter. Anyway, he's no more our player now than Lionel Messi is, though I wish he was.

Jonny Evans does deserve to die though!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 pm

The lad's had a real career of misfortune through no fault of his own. Good luck to him and hope he makes it back at some level.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Good luck to the guy, many players would have given up long ago. Looking at our nosedive ever since he got injured is testimony to how critical a player he was for us during his time here.

I remember watching that shortlived comeback against Villa, and he was still a class above the rest of the team - one pass in particular was to a one-footed donkey (can't remember who), but he'd aimed it to their good foot and weighted it so perfectly that it made them look like they had the touch of Messi.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:30 pm

More likely to play for us than is Medo.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Jonny Evans does deserve to die though!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Whilst the downward spiral began with little sam you can arguably point to jonny evans 'doing' stu as the edge of the cliff. Stu getting injured = elmander in midfield at wembley = coyle being exposed as a chancer = relegation = current doooooom.

Fck you Jonny Evans. When I meet you, I will stab my hb pencil through your eye.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:58 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Whilst the downward spiral began with little sam you can arguably point to jonny evans 'doing' stu as the edge of the cliff. Stu getting injured = elmander in midfield at wembley = coyle being exposed as a chancer = relegation = current doooooom.

Fck you Jonny Evans. When I meet you, I will stab my hb pencil through your eye.
The Sounders play a similar 4-4-2 system. We also have a Holden type player, Osvaldo Alonso, who covers the entire field and links defense and attack. When he gets hurt, we suck.

You'd think our coach would have learned from Coyle's lack of a plan B.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:His first career setback was when he was twatted in Newcastle by a Sunderland supporter. Anyway, he's no more our player now than Lionel Messi is, though I wish he was.

Jonny Evans does deserve to die though!
Harsh!

Chucked into the bogside mid seventies with an atheist card round his neck would have been more apt, probably lost both kneecaps!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Interesting piece on Stu here. He has an open offer to do pre-season training with Houston Dynamo, who still own his MLS rights and are now coached (if such is the right word) by a Mr O. Coyle. But he's also keeping busy with other stuff, and seems savvy - and popular - enough to make a go of a life after boot-wearing.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/n ... stu-holden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 pm

I wouldn't have thought the Championship is the place for someone with his fragilty. Hope he gets a crack at it in the MLS.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:03 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I wouldn't have thought the Championship is the place for someone with his fragilty. Hope he gets a crack at it in the MLS.
Agreed. He'll shit league one on one leg mind. Sign him on!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Blimey, Americans seem to believe the femur is a bone in the knee. No wonder they couldn't repair him properly!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I wouldn't have thought the Championship is the place for someone with his fragilty. Hope he gets a crack at it in the MLS.
MLS is still largely populated by center backs who came up through the college system, where the top 3 priorities are size, strength, and speed and "timing a tackle" is maybe 14th. MLS referees are also god awful. I'd fear for his life over here.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:46 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Blimey, Americans seem to believe the femur is a bone in the knee. No wonder they couldn't repair him properly!
Is it not?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:49 pm

jimbo wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Blimey, Americans seem to believe the femur is a bone in the knee. No wonder they couldn't repair him properly!
Is it not?
Of course it is. Don't worry, anatomical knowledge eh!? The Welsh are notorious from not knowing their humerus from their femur. (pssst Bobo, it's that top bone in the leg that forms the top half of that esoteric joint called the knee).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Is it not?
Of course it is. Don't worry, anatomical knowledge eh!? The Welsh are notorious from not knowing their humerus from their femur. (pssst Bobo, it's that top bone in the leg that forms the top half of that esoteric joint called the knee).
Psssst.....It wasn't Bobo and I don't think Bob's Welsh? :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Boo bloody isn't Welsh. Thank you very much.

But he does know his culus from his cubitus.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:39 am

Bob is not welsh.
And the femur is definitely part of the knee.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Oh dear.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください