It's A God-awful Small Affair... (H) MK Dons 23/01/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: It's A God-awful Small Affair... (H) MK Dons 23/01/16

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:42 pm

I think every last BWFC supporter knows,with the squad we have,we shouldn't be where we are! 1 win every 10 is farcical..This team is good enough for the Championship,but can Lenny organise and bring out the best of them? For our sakes! I feckin well hope so,because he,ll get to walk away with his reputation intact,due to our dire financial situation!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Whilst never one to knock Darren, is this not the first of his three in five to come against a team whose actual jobs are being footballers?
Eastleigh are full-time pros, but point taken.
I'd been taken in by a BBC article before the game that referred to them as a "semi-professional outfit". That'll be the same BBC that used to sing the praises of Anthony Gardner when he played for us and, I think, earlier this season illustrated a story about Rob Hall scoring for MK Dons with a picture of Darren Pratley. I should have known better!

(And which inexplicably employs Phil Mcf*ckingNulty as its chief football reporter - about the only thing capable of working me up into a Daily Mail rage about "my license fee").
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Whilst never one to knock Darren, is this not the first of his three in five to come against a team whose actual jobs are being footballers?
I'd been taken in by a BBC article before the game that referred to them as a "semi-professional outfit". That'll be the same BBC that used to sing the praises of Anthony Gardner when he played for us and, I think, earlier this season illustrated a story about Rob Hall scoring for MK Dons with a picture of Darren Pratley. I should have known better!

(And which inexplicably employs Phil Mcf*ckingNulty as its chief football reporter - about the only thing capable of working me up into a Daily Mail rage about "my license fee").
No problem. They started going full-time pro in 2012; it can take a while as not all players want to give up their day-job. One can assume, given their subsequent promotion and some of the names they've hired of late (including that left-back they got from second-tier Brighton), that they're all now salaried men. Indeed, I was amused to read an online discussion of "average pay in the Conference" in which most participants agreed Eastleigh were an outlier who would skew the figure upwards.

The BBC's feature-writing has improved a lot of late but McNulty is a mystery I'll never solve. All I can imagine is that he Peter-principled his way into a station above his ideas, before the BBC site got good, and now they're waiting for a way to get shut. (That sort of thing can happen at the Dead-Man's-Shoes Beeb.)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Nicko58 wrote:Trotter made a real difference in midfield. He's actually one of our better passers but the main thing is he plays the simple ball forward rather than looking to turn inside and risk losing possession. Danns should take note of that. His and Pratley's physical presence in the middle also made us more solid.

Holding had a good game and is getting better and better each week. He looks as though he could be a real find. Feeney gave us his best performance for some time and Wellington Silva caused them so much trouble that they resorted to hacking him down after he started to take the piss late on.

There is one caveat, and I don't want to put on downer on things, but we won't play another team as poor as them for the rest of the season.

For those in the UK, the highlights (and there are many) can be found here.

that ameobi goal was class! :oyea:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:

No problem. They started going full-time pro in 2012; it can take a while as not all players want to give up their day-job. One can assume, given their subsequent promotion and some of the names they've hired of late (including that left-back they got from second-tier Brighton), that they're all now salaried men. Indeed, I was amused to read an online discussion of "average pay in the Conference" in which most participants agreed Eastleigh were an outlier who would skew the figure upwards.

The BBC's feature-writing has improved a lot of late but McNulty is a mystery I'll never solve. All I can imagine is that he Peter-principled his way into a station above his ideas, before the BBC site got good, and now they're waiting for a way to get shut. (That sort of thing can happen at the Dead-Man's-Shoes Beeb.)
When they were in the Conference South a couple of years ago, they (allegedly) had a wage bill of £20k a week compared to most other clubs' £2-6k pw. "You've bought yourself the title" was the chant when they came to Bromley (who were running them a close second at the time (on £4k pw)).
Last edited by TonyDomingos on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Our first back-to-back wins since December 2014 (Millwall & Rovers).
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:46 pm

After the week of stress the manager and staff must have had, today must have been a real boost all round..A loss may have had a totally devastating effect, but the manner of the win is a tonic. With Madine carrying injuries, if only we had been able to keep hold of Ameobi a bit longer it would really have helped. A lot of mountain climbing in view, but a ray of sunshine today for a change. Heads up and onwards....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Today showed that we haven't got the worst squad in the division, but that so far this season, we've often been lacking in graft. The whole team worked hard for each other today. Our midfield 5 were exceptional, although Mavies drifted in and out at times, as he does. Great performance and a class finish for our third. Sadly though, that was the worst refereeing performance I think I've ever seen.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 am

Wrong thread.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 am

Bijou Bob wrote:that was the worst refereeing performance I think I've ever seen.
Worse than Barry Knight? :shock:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Wrong thread.
Opinion or fact?
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 pm

If Rotherham beat Charlton, which is so very possible it verges on the probable (imo), then Mk Donnys become our chase after factor with six points in the bag on us. 18 games to go, which means we have to gain more than 0.333 points per game than them for each and every game we play. That's a fairly big task.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:If Rotherham beat Charlton, which is so very possible it verges on the probable (imo), then Mk Donnys become our chase after factor with six points in the bag on us. 18 games to go, which means we have to gain more than 0.333 points per game than them for each and every game we play. That's a fairly big task.
It means needing 2 wins and a draw more than them over the remaining games.

Looking at our form so far that seems highly unlikely. But it takes us going on a good run and I have seen teams in this position do that before.

I'd fancy us if we had a manager who gave the players belief and even with Lennon in charge if we get on a little run then who knows?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 pm

such a ray of sunshine. Why don't you enjoy the win for a minute or two.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:such a ray of sunshine. Why don't you enjoy the win for a minute or two.
Sorry AT, it's my default position ray of sunshine-wise... :|
I shall smack me'sen around the head :whack:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:such a ray of sunshine. Why don't you enjoy the win for a minute or two.
Sorry AT, it's my default position ray of sunshine-wise... :|
I shall smack me'sen around the head :whack:
I was talking to the Insane one. You are beyond help :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Yesterday was out 3rd league win all season. Any improvement has to be notable. But there are half a dozen clubs even crapper than we are. So getting that mini run going should not be beyond us.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 pm

We've the most number of points out of the bottom 7, over the last 5 games ...

US - 6
Charlton - 2
Bristol City - 3
Rotherham - 4
MK Dons - 4
Fulham - 4
Blackburn - 2

If we can extend that run of the last 5 games over the next 18, we'll walk it.

QED
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Wins make a big difference at the bottom, because they're rarer. Hopefully this won't be the only weekend on which we are the only side in that mini league to win.