ED good memories or good riddence?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

ED good memories or good riddence?

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Ruined everything at the end for me!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: ED good memories or good riddence?

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Some great memories under his ownership, probably never to be repeated - but certainly somewhat tarnished by what's happened in the past few months

And if its true that he still wants another £15M over the next few years, then for me its most certainly good riddence

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Great memories and huge thanks for what he did for the club. The end has been absolutely horrific though and spoilt things. Only over time I think can we really assess his tenure overall.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Some great memories under his ownership, probably never to be repeated - but certainly somewhat tarnished by what's happened in the past few months

And if its true that he still wants another £15M over the next few years, then for me its most certainly good riddence
So that mean's he's discharged 160 million pounds of debt that he supported us with and that legally he could claim back, and Bolton Wanderers would be dead and never recover. I think he deserves a huge thanks. I think all this talk of crackpot wages etc making millions sound like Monopoly money has turned some heads back to front.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:Some great memories under his ownership, probably never to be repeated - but certainly somewhat tarnished by what's happened in the past few months

So that mean's he's discharged 160 million pounds of debt that he supported us with and that legally he could claim back, and Bolton Wanderers would be dead and never recover. I think he deserves a huge thanks.
Aye but he had absolutely no mechanism to recover that debt. What he has done is essentially lied to us when saying all debt would be wiped.

I don't begrudge the man something back but he's handled this really badly in my view.

EDIT: And apparently he wants £15M repaying plus a fee for the club (again NOT the £1 charge that was stated). This is from people who were in court today.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Great memories and huge thanks for what he did for the club. The end has been absolutely horrific though and spoilt things. Only over time I think can we really assess his tenure overall.

"absolutely horrific"???

do you not worry sometimes that you might one day run out of words to describe bad stuff??

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:37 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Great memories and huge thanks for what he did for the club. The end has been absolutely horrific though and spoilt things. Only over time I think can we really assess his tenure overall.

"absolutely horrific"???

do you not worry sometimes that you might one day run out of words to describe bad stuff??
Relative to a football club then yes it has been almost as bad as it gets.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm

The club was minutes from folding and he was still clambering for as much as he could get.

He knew he wasn't getting the £150 mil owed as it was like owning stocks in Enron.

I could tell you I'm going to buy the club and invest £150 mil but it means cock all until I stay true to my word.

Thanks for the memories but kindly jog on and let us move forward.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 pm

More like, "hello Mr president"....

Words fail me....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:More like, "hello Mr president"....

Words fail me....

if only!! :lol:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Too early to tell. See how it pans out over the next few weeks and months. Worst case scenario though is that he soured it at the end. We'll always have Campo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:09 pm

I can never prove this, but Eddie Davies is leaving Bolton a richer man than when he joined us. The £15m he wants now will seal a profit.

Anyone who thinks he lost £185 is a gullible fool.

I think the role of club president is outrageous!!

Still need to find out more about this mate of Deano who now owns 50% of the club. Wasn't PG an accountant? Didn't seem to help him balance the books

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:I can never prove this, but Eddie Davies is leaving Bolton a richer man than when he joined us. The £15m he wants now will seal a profit.

Anyone who thinks he lost £185 is a gullible fool.

I think the role of club president is outrageous!!

Still need to find out more about this mate of Deano who now owns 50% of the club. Wasn't PG an accountant? Didn't seem to help him balance the books
No shit.

I don't think any thinks he "lost" £185m. I don't think anybody with two brain cells to knock together thinks he made a profit.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Neutral memories of him. Good memories of some of the times under his stewardship, plus some shit memories of some of the times under his stewardship.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:27 pm

here's how I see it...

we had some fantastic years - largely cos of Eddie - and swimming in that premiership and Europe pool almost inevitably led to financial dire straits.. (including the attempt to bounce straight back - which was a gamble)

ED gave good notice that he wanted out

then in a pretty bad situation - including us being rock bottom of the league and the chairman falling seriously ill and then dying - he managed to sell the club

all this - and everyone was paid (eventually) there were no player strikes or mass club staff redundancies, we didn't go into administration in 48hrs or any mumber of hours and didn't get a points deduction.

I'd say - all-in-all, taking the whole picture into account - he's been a good thing for the club.

now - a new era - and I look forward to it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
thebish wrote:here's how I see it...

we had some fantastic years - largely cos of Eddie - and swimming in that premiership and Europe pool almost inevitably led to financial dire straits.. (including the attempt to bounce straight back - which was a gamble)

ED gave good notice that he wanted out

then in a pretty bad situation - including us being rock bottom of the league and the chairman falling seriously ill and then dying - he managed to sell the club

all this - and everyone was paid (eventually) there were no player strikes or mass club staff redundancies, we didn't go into administration in 48hrs or any mumber of hours and didn't get a points deduction.

I'd say - all-in-all, taking the whole picture into account - he's been a good thing for the club.

now - a new era - and I look forward to it.
I'm sorry bish but this is a rare occasion where we differ. That to me is absolutely unacceptable. The way we've been run in the past season, arguably since relegation, has been nothing but diabolical.

You're right, he has given hints that he wanted out for the past few years; but it's gone from a gentle "let's see if anyone is interested in buying the club whilst I cut costs" since relegation, up to "I am for all intents and purposes ceasing supporting the club and overheads" this season. If he was as set on pulling out as he has been this season then he should, or PG should, have put more effort into buying the club at a far earlier stage - at least well in advance of taking on HMRC. He literally ripped the rug out from under us with no notice that he wanted out imminently. That's a poor way to run any business.

It's been an absolute shambles, and if we'd been run with due care and attention we'd likely have seen a sale far earlier than at this stage. We're rock bottom, and facing being wound up, and we managed to attract offers. I wonder what would have happened if he'd looked into selling us a season or two ago.

For me, personally, he doesn't get a free pass for narrowly avoiding redundancies, liquidation and player walk-outs.
differing is fine! :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

No it's not!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:No it's not!
I'd like to see the evidence for that. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:55 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Still need to find out more about this mate of Deano who now owns 50% of the club.
Does he? It's been described as a JV, but not necessarily 50/50.

We knew a fifth of f*ck-all about the rest of SSG anyway, so there's a lot of getting-to-know-you. Hope it's good news.