Sports Shield - New Owners (Probably)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Sports Shield - New Owners (Probably)

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:12 am

I can't see them chucking silly money at it and I doubt we'll know the intentions until we know what division we're in next season (yeah I know, but it isn't fat lady time yet...except in Enoch's case :wink: ). I think we'll see a small amount of investment to replace moved on players and then it'll be a case of making the club sustainable and move slowly upwards. If we can be stabilised and get to upper middle of the Championship then we become a lot more attractive as an investment, providing we retain the assets we've still got and we're debt free.

Will be interesting to see if Lennon is pushed immediately or if they give him to the end of the season. As long as he isn't bringing David in then I'm happy to see how things go before making my mind up about the new owners.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 am

feck that!! I expect some awesome premiership quality goalscoring strikers to be queuing round the street to come on loan TOMORROW!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:17 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I can't see them chucking silly money at it and I doubt we'll know the intentions until we know what division we're in next season (yeah I know, but it isn't fat lady time yet...except in Enoch's case :wink: ). I think we'll see a small amount of investment to replace moved on players and then it'll be a case of making the club sustainable and move slowly upwards. If we can be stabilised and get to upper middle of the Championship then we become a lot more attractive as an investment, providing we retain the assets we've still got and we're debt free.

Will be interesting to see if Lennon is pushed immediately or if they give him to the end of the season. As long as he isn't bringing David in then I'm happy to see how things go before making my mind up about the new owners.
The thing is that usually this VC model needs a fairly fast turnaround. Like 3 years. Hard to see them achieve that with only modest investment. But then like you say, hard to imagine them risking millions extra too.

I think that is why caution should be employed. But we should also right now be hopeful and excited for a new era.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:21 am

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Based on nothing more than a hunch I confidently predict this lot are a bunch of shysters and con artists who won't be anywhere near the club (if it still exists) by 2018
the bells... the bells... the bells!!! :D

Are you acting on a hunch?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:35 am

Andy Waller wrote:
thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Based on nothing more than a hunch I confidently predict this lot are a bunch of shysters and con artists who won't be anywhere near the club (if it still exists) by 2018
the bells... the bells... the bells!!! :D

Are you acting on a hunch?

well - Harry is! 8)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:(yeah I know, but it isn't fat lady time yet...except in Enoch's case :wink: ).
Can I just say, ladies of a certain age are not necessarily carrying a few extra pounds!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think caution is correct. However, it appears that sports shield were the only viable option to save the club from admin or extinction.

I listened to DH on the Lion of Vienna podcast this morning (shudder) and on there he is asked if there will be any money available for signings beyond just frees and loans. He gave the usual spiel about not wanting to overpromise or discuss figures but ended by saying "I would like to think there would be".

Also he was asked about how Bolton could ever compete in the championship for promotion given the sums others were spending. His response was along the lines of "you've got to invest".

There aren't many ways they can make money out of this. Only 2 I can see are a) building a stable club with a chance of premiership promotion and selling for a tidy profit b) reaching the premiership themselves.

Beyond that even if they just flogged the players in an asset strip they'd barely make back what they've put in. There may be other fixed assets but I suspect if that was their game they wouldn't have bought us having sold on or secured money against several of our assets already.
That was my question :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:45 am

Enoch wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:(yeah I know, but it isn't fat lady time yet...except in Enoch's case :wink: ).
Can I just say, ladies of a certain age are not necessarily carrying a few extra pounds!
You're the expert :mrgreen:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Enoch wrote:
You're the expert :mrgreen:
Student.

:wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm

If you take the suspicious route then the only benefit for SS to buy us is if they make a good job of it and we become viable again.

Which is an incentive.

Unless they asset strip shamelessly, but we've found few takers for our "assets" so far..

Or get it in shape and sell to another party.

I know what Insanio will think.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm

bobo the clown wrote:If you take the suspicious route then the only benefit for SS to buy us is if they make a good job of it and we become viable again.

Which is an incentive.

Unless they asset strip shamelessly, but we've found few takers for our "assets" so far..

What do I think?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:If you take the suspicious route then the only benefit for SS to buy us is if they make a good job of it and we become viable again.

Which is an incentive.

What do I think?
Cogito ergo sum... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is an incentive.

What do I think?
Cogito ergo sum... :wink:

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam? :conf:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Which is an incentive.

What do I think?
It's all over the twittersphere!

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:13 pm

So Ed is,nt going to ensure our future and preserve PG,s legacy? That,ll be down to Deano.tsk

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Enoch wrote:
Is that because they get a lot more exercise these days? :-)

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:07 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Unless they asset strip shamelessly, but we've found few takers for our "assets" so far..
If that was their plan, then they probably should have become owners before Mr Davies sold off a bunch of our "assets".

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Unless they asset strip shamelessly, but we've found few takers for our "assets" so far..
If that was their plan, then they probably should have become owners before Mr Davies sold off a bunch of our "assets".

Yeah! But wasn't Ed making sure that the new owners were good enough to preserve a legacy?

Fit and proper like Ed! :shock: :shock: :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
Precisely.

So not their plan then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Hope our new owners were impressed tonight....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?