Information from the Lofthouse era & contacting his family

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TiesThatBind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Information from the Lofthouse era & contacting his family

Post by TiesThatBind » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me putting this here, I actually used to post on here way, way, way back under the username Luna but unfortunately those log in details have been lost to the mists of time!

I'm currently working on a pretty major research project on the life of Nat Lofthouse with the view of eventually perhaps turning it into a book. Through a variety of means I've managed to get my hands on just about every book ever written about the club, including Lofty's two autobiographies, but I know these will only tell a fraction of the story.

What I'm looking for is two things:

Anyone with any sort of additional information on Lofty, the club, the time period that they think would help flesh out the era and/or the man - could be newspaper clippings, personal anecdotes, stories handed down, any good internet resources you know of etc. (I'm aware of the official website which contains a lot of fantastic memories about Nat).

And,

Anyone with any possible information on getting in touch with his children or other memories of his family

Any and all help is hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Information from the Lofthouse era & contacting his fami

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:01 am

My only (brief) tale to impart was I knew Nat's daughter Viv.

Back In the late 80's I worked at the Edge Tavern in Astley Bridge and she was the Captain of the Ladies Darts team. She was also a Police Sergeant.

We called her Sergeant Viv. :grin:

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Information from the Lofthouse era & contacting his fami

Post by Aanvalluh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

My mum (86) used to dance with him and his mates @ Palais (??) and had some stories to tell. Unfortunately she now has advanced Alzheimer's and can't string two words together, so can't provide any tales (and her best mate Lillian who was with them at the time has passed away).

So I'm afraid those secrets will have to stay under wraps!

Good luck with the book!!