Lennon gone - official

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Lennon gone - official

Post by Jugs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I love how swiftly this decision has been made. No messing around. Good from SS.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Jugs wrote:I love how swiftly this decision has been made. No messing around. Good from SS.
Hmmmm

I agree cos he's shit but i dont want one of them owners where you change managers every ten games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Jugs wrote:I love how swiftly this decision has been made. No messing around. Good from SS.
Hmmmm

I agree cos he's shit but i dont want one of them owners where you change managers every ten games.
When it is their appointment though, they will I assume be more patient.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:21 pm

I'm happy that he's gone but i have 2 trains of thought;-
1) He's been stiffed big style by the "upper management" (prior to Sports shield) in that he couldn't bring in the players he wanted (Hooper etc) and then all the chaos behind the scenes has definitely affected everything. When he came into the job he said the right things and tried to do the right things in getting BWFC to get back into the community and engage with the fans.
2) The players he brought in were shite, I know he was under restraints but still, other players were available on free's yet we get the likes of Madine. Of the 8 players he brought in the summer, only 3 currently play, most have which have now moved on. His team selections, Tactics and formations are baffling at times and the lack of idea on our dead ball situations is ridiculous. His repetitive post-match interviews are a joke and he brought in fecking Twardzik!!!!!!

Possibly could've done better given better resources but at the end of the day, couldn't do much with the players which he ended up with with, which I think he shouldve done more with them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:23 pm

wigan white wrote:I'm happy that he's gone but i have 2 trains of thought;-
1) He's been stiffed big style by the "upper management" (prior to Sports shield) in that he couldn't bring in the players he wanted (Hooper etc) and then all the chaos behind the scenes has definitely affected everything. When he came into the job he said the right things and tried to do the right things in getting BWFC to get back into the community and engage with the fans.
2) The players he brought in were shite, I know he was under restraints but still, other players were available on free's yet we get the likes of Madine. Of the 8 players he brought in the summer, only 3 currently play, most have which have now moved on. His team selections, Tactics and formations are baffling at times and the lack of idea on our dead ball situations is ridiculous. His repetitive post-match interviews are a joke and he brought in fecking Twardzik!!!!!!

Possibly could've done better given better resources but at the end of the day, couldn't do much with the players which he ended up with with, which I think he shouldve done more with them.
Hooper's wages were out of reach of 90% of the championship. You could say that about virtually anyone. He wasn't stiffed by not being able to sign a player we couldn't afford. And I certainly don't think we'll be signing 30K plus a week players anytime soon.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:26 pm

edit: mis-read it. Ignore me.

JJ4bwfc92
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JJ4bwfc92 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Hopefully (a phrase lets face it we probably use too often) Jimmy Phillips having had such a huge part in the upbringing of the youths will say ok lets give woolery and all the other deserving youngsters some more game time ready for next year.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hooper's wages were out of reach of 90% of the championship. You could say that about virtually anyone. He wasn't stiffed by not being able to sign a player we couldn't afford. And I certainly don't think we'll be signing 30K plus a week players anytime soon.

I'm not saying anything about signing players for £30k a week, but he wanted to bring in Le Fondre (who wanted to come here) but all of a sudden we didn't have the cash to fund it. He was in advanced talks with Van La Parra from Wolves until we told him we couldn't afford him. Now don't get me wrong but surely a chairman would tell the manager he has no money to spend before he allows him to talk to a player for a week and get to the point of almost signing him before then telling him we can't afford to sign anybody. Still not excusing Lennon for his tactics etc and think he deserved to go, but just saying it could have been different if he couldve brought the players in he wanted too (and I'm not on about Messi etc, I'm being realistic)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm

wigan white wrote: Now don't get me wrong but surely a chairman would tell the manager he has no money to spend before he allows him to talk to a player for a week and get to the point of almost signing him
I might be like me & the Mrs. If I vetoed every dress, coat, pair of shoes she expressed an interest in then I'd do bugger-all else when in town. I only REALLY express a proper view of the ones she seems like progressing. Even that is muted until I think she means it. Up to then I stick with "mmmm..... yes ...... aaaah .....".

It saves a lot of time ... and angst.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm

I celebrated this news when I read it as if we scored a goal. Not going to kick a man while he is down, but we really needed a change. Good decisive move SS.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:54 pm

JJ4bwfc92 wrote:Hopefully (a phrase lets face it we probably use too often) Jimmy Phillips having had such a huge part in the upbringing of the youths will say ok lets give woolery and all the other deserving youngsters some more game time ready for next year.
I'd be very surprised if not. In fact, although a tiny little part of me (and I suspect Deano) wants to believe we still have a chance, the head says we should be testing youngsters like Woolery whose contracts are up in summer.

As it happens, over the weekend I started writing a "who should stay, who should go" thing for TW. I'll try to polish it off this week. Things just got more interesting.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Crikey, I thought they'd have to wait till the end of the season to pull the rug.

SS must be feeling flush.
Unless they said to him they'd wait til relegation and sack him for peanuts rather than give him a years salary and they came to a compromise.
Mutual consent always suggests to me a sacking where the manager has come to an agreement.
Anyway good news, wish him no ill will buy glad to see the back.

Next!

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Bloke was on a hiding to nothing a long time ago really..
or
Obviously it was all his fault we are where we are and everything will be rosy now he's gone...

Under a consortium of unknowns fronted by a bloke with no track record in anything, unless you count robbing me of an FA Cup final and some reported familial anger management issues..

Still sinking...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:01 pm

I was happy when we got Lennon, but now he's gone I feel elated. Who's next?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm

I was happy when we got Lennon, but now he's gone I feel elated. Who's next?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:03 pm

God's sake, I'm at work sorry about the double post!! Must be really overjoyed :)

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Closest we'll get to a double anyway. (Treble now)

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Haven't been on since popcorn teeth was appointed, some seemed not too keen on my opinion he was utter horse, it gives me no pleasure to say I told ye.

Fair play to him for the payment of staff from his own pocket, otherwise a total arse of a man.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome back Shafty!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Knew this would happen. Holdsworth was open about not rating Lennon welll before the takeover happened.
Was he now? And where was this then? Because all I heard Holdsworth come out with was that he likes(d) Lennon
Open to fans who talked to him when he was around the club during the months of negotiations.

Clearly in public he had to maintain a professional veneer. But his quotes were very clearly laced with "no promises" "he has a good squad" etc etc.

The warnings were there and clear.
Not open at all then. Thought so.
Open would mean openly airing his thoughts prior to the takeover when people asked him.

It doesn't mean publically stating them through news channels or in an official capacity.

So yes, open.
Yes it would, which he didn't do.
May the bridges I burn light your way