Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Politics aside, didn't his Swindon side spend more on agent fees than many clubs two divisions higher?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I don't mind di Canio, but in this day and age his style is only going to work with players so long before they get bored.

Personal shortlist stands at Nigel Adkins, Sean O'Driscoll and Ian Holloway. Probably in that order.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon May 16, 2016 8:58 pm

My shortlist, in order of preference;

Steve Cotterill
Steve Evans
Nigel Adkins
Paolo di Canio

Doubt any of them will be in contention though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Interesting, isn't it? There's nobody I wouldn't have some reservations about, but that's life I suppose.

Adkins is an interesting one. He seems to have been fairly strongly disliked at Bramall Lane, although Blades fans are angry fantasists who think they're too big for the division (there's a lesson there).

I still hanker for Keith Hill, although I understand why some would see it as a risk. John Sheridan seems to improve players wherever he goes, but he hasn't settled anywhere long (yet?). I'd be hopeful if it were Browny, intrigued if it were Cotterill, worried if it were Evans, saddened if it were Reid, dismayed if it were Warnock.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon May 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting, isn't it? There's nobody I wouldn't have some reservations about, but that's life I suppose.

Adkins is an interesting one. He seems to have been fairly strongly disliked at Bramall Lane, although Blades fans are angry fantasists who think they're too big for the division (there's a lesson there).

I still hanker for Keith Hill, although I understand why some would see it as a risk. John Sheridan seems to improve players wherever he goes, but he hasn't settled anywhere long (yet?). I'd be hopeful if it were Browny, intrigued if it were Cotterill, worried if it were Evans, saddened if it were Reid, dismayed if it were Warnock.
Why are you worried with Evans given his track record in the lower divisions?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 pm

I just have to opt out of this as there are few I know & most of those I do are either thoroughly unimpressive or carry more baggage than Salisbury's. I guess that's our pool these days. I'll just wait till they chose one, roll my eyes a few times and move on.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd be hopeful if it were Browny, intrigued if it were Cotterill, worried if it were Evans, saddened if it were Reid, dismayed if it were Warnock.
Out of interest, what's your beef with Warnock over other borderline bampots like Holloway, Evans, and Di Canio?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Iles starting to suggest he is doubting that we may get out of embargo. I will be pleasantly surprised if we do to be honest.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2016 9:57 pm

enrdentw wrote:Why are you worried with Evans given his track record in the lower divisions?
His track record in the courts and several unsavoury interpersonal incidents. I think it's fair to say he is one of the most widely disliked managers in the lower leagues - Sam was popular by comparison - and while some people would (understandably) be happy with a successful knobhead, I'm still hoping we can get someone who won't make us hated.
Little Green Man wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd be hopeful if it were Browny, intrigued if it were Cotterill, worried if it were Evans, saddened if it were Reid, dismayed if it were Warnock.
Out of interest, what's your beef with Warnock over other borderline bampots like Holloway, Evans, and Di Canio?
Short-termism, ugly football, dislikeable bloke who won't build for the future. Di Canio I don't like at all; Holloway would be interesting (he's had success) but might quickly grate; Evans above.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
enrdentw wrote:Why are you worried with Evans given his track record in the lower divisions?
His track record in the courts and several unsavoury interpersonal incidents. I think it's fair to say he is one of the most widely disliked managers in the lower leagues - Sam was popular by comparison - and while some people would (understandably) be happy with a successful knobhead, I'm still hoping we can get someone who won't make us hated.
Little Green Man wrote:
Short-termism, ugly football, dislikeable bloke who won't build for the future. Di Canio I don't like at all; Holloway would be interesting (he's had success) but might quickly grate; Evans above.
Only just noticed that Evans was with us early in his career. He is without doubt and horrible fat bar steward.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 17, 2016 8:03 am

enrdentw wrote:OK... Just going to put it out there... Paolo di Canio.

now that's done - I hope we can just leave it out there! :D

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 am

malcd1 wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Only just noticed that Evans was with us early in his career. He is without doubt and horrible fat bar steward.

Wasn't he in charge for a cup game when Megson left?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 17, 2016 9:40 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:
malcd1 wrote:Only just noticed that Evans was with us early in his career. He is without doubt and horrible fat bar steward.
Wasn't he in charge for a cup game when Megson left?
Nah, that was Chris "not ginger" Evans.

Steve Evans was released by us in the 70s, aged 17. Not sure he's been back since?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 am

Ah, got ya
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Mike Whitlow has just left Burton following 6 seasons running their academy..............Mmmmm :crazy: Maybe; that's all I'm saying.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Mike Whitlow has just left Burton following 6 seasons running their academy..............Mmmmm :crazy: Maybe; that's all I'm saying.
Was caretaker there after Rowett left but declared himself uninterested in the role full-time; according to the local paper he will now spend some time away from the game...

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Mike Whitlow has just left Burton following 6 seasons running their academy..............Mmmmm :crazy: Maybe; that's all I'm saying.
Was caretaker there after Rowett left but declared himself uninterested in the role full-time; according to the local paper he will now spend some time away from the game...
yes, just read he's off to the euros with his family. A name from left-field though & has spiked my interest a little.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Iles reckons it's just 2 to choose from now; Reid, or A.N. Other. Let us pray. .....
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Iles reckons it's just 2 to choose from now; Reid, or A.N. Other. Let us pray. .....
With respect Bob, I think you're slightly misquoting there. Asked "who are the front runners at the moment then?" he replied "Peter Reid + 1, whoever Ken Anderson wants. Couple who want Forest job, or who might soon be available." - which is a little more fluid, no?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 18, 2016 6:58 am

Following in his mentor Big Sam's footsteps? He'll be appointed tomorrow after a long weekend with the family!