Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Enoch » Thu May 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:not that we believe everything we read in the papers as it's all bollocks.
At last, someone talking sense!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:I don't understand the last sentence at all....... :conf:
BWFCi's last sentence, or that weird closing quote in the BN?
Ken said rather than wrote:I spoke to one of the staff yesterday about one of the names and he sounded disappointed – but then would we say no to Jose Mourinho if he wanted the job?
Presumably meaning being sacked from your last job doesn't necessarily make you a bad manager. I wonder who 'one of the staff' is? Deano probably!
Heh. Yeah, been thinking about this and reading it back, it sounds like it's our old friend "context".

***WARNING: SPECULATION – NOT FOR THE EASILY PISSY-KNICKERED***

The fuller quote contains these words, which have been broken in in classic newspaper style into single-sentence paragraphs (because newspapers have narrow columns and they want you to have multiple entry points):
Ken said rather than wrote:We have spoken to some managers who perhaps did not do as well as they’d hope in their previous job but we have to take into consideration everything they have done. You have to ask yourself whether they had the tools to succeed in that last position or not? I spoke to one of the staff yesterday about one of the names and he sounded disappointed – but then would we say no to Jose Mourinho if he wanted the job?
Taken as a whole, that makes more sense - as you say, LE, a poor previous job doesn't bar you from being good again, because Mourinho was hoofed out of Chelsea etc etc.

Down at our level, I'd say that is particularly relevant for Nigel Adkins, who didn't take Sheffield United up – although neither did three predecessors, it's not an easy club to manage ("Did he have the tools?")

Cotterill's last job was Bristol City, whom he took up in style but had hovering round the relegation line. Powell's last job was Huddersfield, didn't exactly "fail" but nor were trees ripped up. Neither of those two could really claim to have been all that "successful at [League One and] Championship level" in terms of finishing positions:

Cotterill took Burnley to 13th (2004/5), 17th (2005/6) and 15th (2006/7), Forest to 19th (2011/12)
• Powell's Charlton finished 9th in 2012/13 but they were bottom when he left in March 2014
• Adkins had Scunny in 23rd in 2007/8 and 20th in 2009/10, then took Southampton to the Premier League in 2011/12 as runners-up to Reading, who took him on when Saints sacked him the following January - he took the Royals down out of the top flight and they were 16th when they sacked him in December 2014.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Jose Mourinho

Now off our list, signed for some Yankee team.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Would prefer the Pearson version of (Nigel) to be on that list! :roll:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Nigel Adkins is my choice out of those interviewed by some distance

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu May 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Owen Coyle free!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 26, 2016 10:23 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Owen Coyle free!
Take more than ping-pong and ear-flicking to get us away from the current mess, I reckon.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Nigel Adkins is my choice out of those interviewed by some distance
Mine too. See we can agree! Not sure I have the same strength of preference as you do but he has the right experience.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu May 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:BN piece is live. Anderson speaks. It seems he doesn't want Reid. Front runners now Steve Cotterill, Chris Powell and Nigel Adkins, all interviewed yesterday. One other is currently employed and in probably related news we may also be keeping tabs on the Steve Evans situation.
Interviewed by Ken alone it sounds. Perhaps he's stuck his cash in to get the casting vote?

Don't fancy Powell. Other two would do.

:D ha!

Anderson hasn't put his money in - boooooooooooooo!
Anderson has put his money in - but only to get what he wants - booooooooooooooooo!

(didn't Anderson say the money was available when it was needed? That could also be what happened, no?)
Where am I booing? So long as they're getting on with it, no problem. They are at least interviewing managers with relative experience.
Surely none of this can be true - how can we have interviewed the likes of Adkins, Powell, Cotterill when Anderson isn't to be trusted, he and DH have fallen out, they never communicate, KA's not put his money in yet, we couldn't even afford to keep Maher & Thelkeld, reality is biting, the players haven't been paid for July yet !! no manager would be interested whilst we are in a transfer embargo, no sign of us ever getting the embargo lifted, we can't even afford Hill & Sheridan.....

BTW I thought according to Iles the 4 man shortlist was Reid, Adkins, Redfearn & Steve Thompson ?, and that it must be true because Iles gets his information directly from DH
Of course it isn't true. Iles wrote it. Or does that not apply in this instance?

Anyway... Adkins, Powell, Evans then Cotterill for me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Adkins
Powell
Coterill
Evans

For me.
Not disagreeing, just asking: is that a personal, "taste" thing? If Evans was a nice bloke with the same record, would you feel the same?
Mainly, can't stand the cnut. If his record was miles better than everyone else's I'd be prepared to suck it up, but I don't think it's toooo bad a field. Purely on record I'd probably have Evans second sneaking above Powell and Coterill but comfortably behind Nigel Weirdo Adkins, for whom my colours are now firmly nailed to the mast.
Yeah, reasonable enough. I might be coming round to Cotterill a bit - that title-winning Bristol City side (2015) got 99 points and 96 goals, and you have to take your hat off to what he did at Notts County five years before: took over in Feb with them in 7th, romped to the Fourth Division title; under him they played 18 games, W14 D3 L1, F40 A6. That doesn't sound like dull functional football (maybe that comes later in the higher leagues?) - and most intriguingly, at County he was effectively doing it with someone else's players, which is the sign of someone who can coach as well as purchase, something which will be important to us.

Cotterill might still make me nervous but I think I might be persuading myself he's up there with Adkins. Evans I don't hate as much as most. Powell seems a nice bloke but might be lacking the clout of others. And Iles says Ken hints mysteriously at a couple of others... not that we believe everything we read in the papers as it's all bollocks.
Didn't know about Cotteril and Notts Cnty. All the other promotions from the four have come with relatively big cash dollar though, haven't they, apart from Adkins at Scunthorpe. Also, admittedly in the cushiest of all the relatively cushy other jobs, his Saints team didn't just go up, they went up again before being comfortable in the Prem when he was widely felt to be unfairly sacked for some random Argentinean bloke.

I could have got that Crawley team, that Charlton team and that Bristol City team promoted. (And that saints team, though Alan Pardew couldn't).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Brian McDermott's been sacked by Reading, again. Not my cup of tea - doesn't know the division - but others might fancy him. Which might help if he's another option for the Champo clubs seeking managers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Brian McDermott's been sacked by Reading, again. Not my cup of tea - doesn't know the division - but others might fancy him. Which might help if he's another option for the Champo clubs seeking managers.
Not for me. Did his best work with Walliams and not so good solo...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Brian McDermott's been sacked by Reading, again. Not my cup of tea - doesn't know the division - but others might fancy him. Which might help if he's another option for the Champo clubs seeking managers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 pm

When giving interviews, in the same way that I always want to hand Sean Dyche a glass of water, I always want to creep up on McDermott and make him jump, wekken the 4ucker up a bit. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
When giving interviews, in the same way that I always want to hand Sean Dyche a glass of water, I always want to creep up on McDermott and make him jump, wekken the 4ucker up a bit. :D
:lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 27, 2016 1:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Matt Lucas:

Brian McDermott

And no, I haven't 'done an Enfield', I have deliberately transposed the wrong name against the wrong picture.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 27, 2016 1:05 pm

^ and broken the internet with the sheer massiveness of the picture size! :-)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 27, 2016 1:06 pm

thebish wrote:^ and broken the internet with the sheer massiveness of the picture size! :-)

It's his head. It's fecking massive! :oops:
Last edited by Gary the Enfield on Fri May 27, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:^ and broken the internet with the sheer massiveness of the picture size! :-)

It's his head. It's fecking massive!
:D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:

It's his head. It's fecking massive! :oops:
And scary if you line it up so his eyes mouth and nose fill the screen.