Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 27, 2016 1:46 pm

<shakes head>

Anyway, there's more from Ken on the BN.
Ken said rather than wrote:I interviewed three different people with very different chemistry and I have to say it is a very difficult choice, which seems to be getting harder by the moment. Even after the interviews, when we thought we knew exactly what we had to choose between, we ended up with more questions than answers. It was a very, very impressive bunch. It is now about looking at the chemistry and picking which man will be the best fit for Bolton Wanderers.

We have a choice to make but I don’t think, overall, there is a lot between them in terms of what they have achieved in management. We have to look beyond that now and see what they are like as people. Look at Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho, both obviously very capable managers but completely different people who go about things a completely different way. The three men interviewed at the start of the week are all successful in their own right but it boils down to which one is right for Bolton?
Marc Iles is saying unequivocally that the three interviewed are Adkins, Cotterill and Powell. He also reiterates the previous story about a currently-employed chap:
Marc Iles wrote:It is hoped another manager, who is already in a job, will sit down for talks in the next few days. But The Bolton News understands Wanderers are still not a closed shop and that two other candidates have now made contact to say they wish to be considered. One of those men is thought to be Leeds United boss Steve Evans.
Seems to me that he's saying the currently-employed mon *isn't* Evans, so that could make for six candidates. No wonder Iles is saying "A final decision could be made as early as next week – but Anderson admits he and Holdsworth are still weighing up pros and cons of all the personalities involved, which could add some extra time to the process."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:<shakes head>

Ken said rather than wrote:I interviewed three different people with very different chemistry and I have to say it is a very difficult choice, which seems to be getting harder by the moment. Even after the interviews, when we thought we knew exactly what we had to choose between, we ended up with more questions than answers. It was a very, very impressive bunch. It is now about looking at the chemistry and picking which man will be the best fit for Bolton Wanderers.

We have a choice to make but I don’t think, overall, there is a lot between them in terms of what they have achieved in management. We have to look beyond that now and see what they are like as people. Look at Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho, both obviously very capable managers but completely different people who go about things a completely different way. The three men interviewed at the start of the week are all successful in their own right but it boils down to which one is right for Bolton?
Marc Iles is saying unequivocally that the three interviewed are Adkins, Cotterill and Powell. He also reiterates the previous story about a currently-employed chap:
Marc Iles wrote:It is hoped another manager, who is already in a job, will sit down for talks in the next few days. But The Bolton News understands Wanderers are still not a closed shop and that two other candidates have now made contact to say they wish to be considered. One of those men is thought to be Leeds United boss Steve Evans.
Seems to me that he's saying the currently-employed mon *isn't* Evans, so that could make for six candidates. No wonder Iles is saying "A final decision could be made as early as next week – but Anderson admits he and Holdsworth are still weighing up pros and cons of all the personalities involved, which could add some extra time to the process."
I agree that the personality is important. But I do rather think there is an element of luck/lottery involved. I'd wager 90% of managerial appointments in football are ultimately failures of one kind or another.

Much of what Ken says is sensible, apart from the first line. It is important to get the right person, but to say the decision is "getting harder by the minute" just sounds a bit stupid. These decisions need to be taken and don't get any harder just because your candidate pool increases. You just have more choice and can afford to be more selective.....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 27, 2016 2:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:<shakes head>

I agree that the personality is important. But I do rather think there is an element of luck/lottery involved. I'd wager 90% of managerial appointments in football are ultimately failures of one kind or another.

Much of what Ken says is sensible, apart from the first line. It is important to get the right person, but to say the decision is "getting harder by the minute" just sounds a bit stupid. These decisions need to be taken and don't get any harder just because your candidate pool increases. You just have more choice and can afford to be more selective.....
If you have 3 apples and someone asks you to choose which one you want to eat, but just as you are about to decide someone puts 2 more apples down and says there maybe another (possibly juicier and tastier) apple to come in a minute, is your decision just the same or is it suddenly harder?

Of course the decision needs to be taken. It just doesn't need to be taken immediately. The new manager cannot, currently, dip into the transfer market as we are (still) under an embargo. Therefore he can only work with what he has. A squad who, currently, are all on holiday. So what's the rush? Really?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Well, we could do with having a manager who might then contact free or cheap players we might sign. True, we can't sign them yet, but we can alert them to our interest before they go elsewhere.

However, I get yer point - I'd rather wait and get the best possible manager than rush it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 27, 2016 3:30 pm

Could we make it swedes instead of apples? Then we'd all know who we were talking about...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
If you have 3 apples and someone asks you to choose which one you want to eat, but just as you are about to decide someone puts 2 more apples down and says there maybe another (possibly juicier and tastier) apple to come in a minute, is your decision just the same or is it suddenly harder?

Of course the decision needs to be taken. It just doesn't need to be taken immediately. The new manager cannot, currently, dip into the transfer market as we are (still) under an embargo. Therefore he can only work with what he has. A squad who, currently, are all on holiday. So what's the rush? Really?
That is an argument for waiting. But that isn't necessarily making the decision "harder". A larger better pool is better than a smaller shitter one...

You still have to pick the man who best meets your requirements (whatever they are).

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

That is an argument for waiting
. But that isn't necessarily making the decision "harder". A larger better pool is better than a smaller shitter one...

You still have to pick the man who best meets your requirements (whatever they are).
So which of the 3 (5)/(6) apples would you choose? They're all edible. Possibly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 27, 2016 3:44 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

. But that isn't necessarily making the decision "harder". A larger better pool is better than a smaller shitter one...

So which of the 3 (5)/(6) apples would you choose? They're all edible. Possibly.

Entirely depends on the quality of apples 4-6 and whether they are a) in my price range b) likely to be eaten before I can get to the shop.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm

BREAKING REAL ACTUAL NEWS
It won't be Chris Powell - he's off to Derby as Nigel Pearson's assistant

https://twitter.com/dcfcofficial/status ... lang=en-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 27, 2016 5:17 pm

There's only Neil Warnock left...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 27, 2016 5:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Entirely depends on the quality of apples 4-6 and whether they are a) in my price range b) likely to be eaten before I can get to the shop.
I think you're beginning to understand how the decision is made more difficult. Well done Grasshopper.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat May 28, 2016 12:38 am

The Adkins apple seems very inoffensive and might be quite tasty. I'd personally rather go with a likeable manager, like Adkins, unless it was unliked by everyone else in a kind of seige mentality way. The problem is I haven't had a major problem with any appointment since Megson, so what do I know? Maybe we need a bad apple!?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:The Adkins apple seems very inoffensive and might be quite tasty. I'd personally rather go with a likeable manager, like Adkins, unless it was unliked by everyone else in a kind of seige mentality way. The problem is I haven't had a major problem with any appointment since Megson, so what do I know? Maybe we need a bad apple!?
Or a banana. Don't forget the bananas.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 am

We tried a pear in 1995. That didn't work either.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat May 28, 2016 9:53 am

Marc Iles ‏@MarcIles 19h19 hours ago
Marc Iles Retweeted Paul Davis
Over t'hills, Alan Stubbs wanted by Rotherham. And, report claims, Bolton. #bwfc #rufc
Pfffft.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 28, 2016 10:11 am

TKIZ! wrote:Marc Iles ‏@MarcIles 19h19 hours ago
Marc Iles Retweeted Paul Davis
Over t'hills, Alan Stubbs wanted by Rotherham. And, report claims, Bolton. #bwfc #rufc
I though Rotherham had Colin W@nker already ?

Oh Gawd. Take cover. Kangana incoming.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 am

On the BN:Brian McDermott's 'people' have already been in touch and we're considering it (carefully phrased by Iles in conditionals: "under consideration by the Wanderers owners", "he could now be interviewed in the next week").

There's also mention of two managers currently working elsewhere, one of them Steve Evans, the other unnamed: "Both men are expected to become available in the foreseeable future which means they can hold talks without the need for compensation." Alan Stubbs is mentioned but in more of the past tense - he's expected to join Rotherham, and we favour someone with League One/Champo experience. (NB I don't think McDermott has ever managed in the third tier.)

So there's still (it seems to me) an unnamed manager, currently employed but about not to be (so compensation isn't an issue), with relevant experience. Who could that be? Some have suggested David Flitcroft, but are Bury giving him the flick? Or could it possibly be Phil Brown somehow extricating himself from Southend?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 am

Stubbs can feck off. I'd interview him, then give him a knowing nod at the end and tell him to watch this space.

McDermott is spectacularly uninspiring. I can't see one argument for him over Adkins.

Flitcroft, well, I wouldn't be too disappointed, quite like him, but to trot out an old horse, I'd rather have his brother.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 28, 2016 10:40 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:The Adkins apple seems very inoffensive and might be quite tasty. I'd personally rather go with a likeable manager, like Adkins, unless it was unliked by everyone else in a kind of seige mentality way. The problem is I haven't had a major problem with any appointment since Megson, so what do I know? Maybe we need a bad apple!?
As long as he fits the Brussels directive on straightness.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 28, 2016 10:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
As long as he fits the Brussels directive on straightness.
Homophobe.