Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:You're just being argumentative now.
:conf:
Whadaya mean now?
Businesswoman of the year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Can see heskey getting it at this rate!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I would be happy with Neil Warnock right now. I struggle to see how we can afford anyone unless Deano's moneyshot is different these days to the one Linsey Dawn Mackenzie enjoyed.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:33 pm

Hard to see who would want to take the poison chalice.

Wouldn't want Phil Brown to come here and be a failure as he's a genuinely nice chap.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:20 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I would be happy with Neil Warnock right now. I struggle to see how we can afford anyone unless Deano's moneyshot is different these days to the one Linsey Dawn Mackenzie enjoyed.
Ugh. Won't get Browny it Deano makes his fake tan all streaky at the interview.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I would be happy with Neil Warnock right now. I struggle to see how we can afford anyone unless Deano's moneyshot is different these days to the one Linsey Dawn Mackenzie enjoyed.
Ugh. Won't get Browny it Deano makes his fake tan all streaky at the interview.
:vomit:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:26 pm

Joyce McKinney
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

palekm08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palekm08 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:13 am

I'm honestly so confused at those who are questioning Phil Browns ability, and his history with clubs like PNE and Derby. There are top managers who have struggled at clubs while dominating in other clubs. Can we not forget Brian Cloughs history at leeds, Hartlepool and or Brighton. What about Raneri, who lost to Faroe Islands with Greece and evidently caused them a Euro 2016 spot, or even Slaven Bilic who was average at two clubs previously, before moving to West ham, and look at him and Raneri now. I can list numerous amount of managers who have had bad records at clubs or international level. But what we should focus on is the positives the managers have delivered over the years. Phil caused Blackpool to avoid relegation, then get promoted, then also be top of the table in the premier league for some while as well. His current record at Southend should speak for itself, and i honestly believe he'll be the right fit for the club.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:50 am

Loads of experience, doing well right now, affinity with the club and fans. It's hard to argue against I agree. He doesn't convince me as a manager although I like him, but how many better options are we likely to have? I'd prefer Keith Hill but there are no guarantees of success there either.
Browny has won promotion for the 4th and the 2nd and kept an unfashionable team up for a year.
I imagine some Wigan fans moaned about Rioch and said his time at Boro and Bolton was a fluke. Or Leicester fans who didn't want Ranieri because he did shit for Greece.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:05 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think ultimately we can attract bigger crowds than Southend and presumably have more spending power longer term. Better ground and probably more commercial income generating possibilities.
better ground? means nowt when trying to get to the premiership... likewise - bigger crowds..

whence this new confidence in increased spending power??
You're just being argumentative now. As fecked as we may be, if you can't see why we might be a greater prospect for premier league football than Southend, you shouldn't be coming on a football forum.

nahh - s'just opinions! I reckon if Brownie comes back it'll be for the cash that we lure him with - which will be more than he's on at Southend and posibly for emotional reasons - NOT cos he things our stadium makes it more likely we'll get back in the Prem...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:08 am

bobo the clown wrote:Camp. With Hierro as Director of Football. Stelios Asst. Mgr.

A1 returns!! :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:12 am

bobo the clown wrote:Joyce McKinney

We're strapped for CASH Bobo, not to the bed. :spank:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:35 am

I'm fairly open minded as to a replacement at the moment, but the key thing for me is to have no 'Knee jerk' reaction from the club. Let's take some time, weigh up the options and this time, put some real thought into it. It's worth remembering that with our contract situations, we'll have much more in common with Blackpool at the same stage than we do with Wigan. Next year won't be easy, it's going to be a long, hard road back.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:05 am

Bijou Bob wrote:I'm fairly open minded as to a replacement at the moment, but the key thing for me is to have no 'Knee jerk' reaction from the club. Let's take some time, weigh up the options and this time, put some real thought into it. It's worth remembering that with our contract situations, we'll have much more in common with Blackpool at the same stage than we do with Wigan. Next year won't be easy, it's going to be a long, hard road back.
A lot of truth here. First, let's not rush; much as I wanted Lennon out, I'd hate to think Deano has been determined from the off to appoint Browny. Secondly, the Blackpool thing is a good parallel, although I would hope we're a happier club. Depends how quickly people turn against board and boss, but Blackpool really are a basket case.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 am

My issue with Brown is that it'll cost money to get him out of his new contract, and then presumably we'll have to improve said contract in either value or length (or, knowing us, both).

Then he'll have to work with a squad that isn't good enough as it is, eroded further by anybody even close to decent leaving and with no money to replace them. Plus the added weight of expectation that people will think we should at least challenge for the playoffs.

I don't know, Brownie is a good manager, but is he that good that he should be our new manager and star signing? Is he alone better than Phillips/O'Driscoll/Powell/Holloway plus the money we save in not paying compensation and a committing to a big contract?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:14 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I'm fairly open minded as to a replacement at the moment, but the key thing for me is to have no 'Knee jerk' reaction from the club. Let's take some time, weigh up the options and this time, put some real thought into it. It's worth remembering that with our contract situations, we'll have much more in common with Blackpool at the same stage than we do with Wigan. Next year won't be easy, it's going to be a long, hard road back.
A lot of truth here. First, let's not rush; much as I wanted Lennon out, I'd hate to think Deano has been determined from the off to appoint Browny. Secondly, the Blackpool thing is a good parallel, although I would hope we're a happier club. Depends how quickly people turn against board and boss, but Blackpool really are a basket case.
I think Bijou Bob is correct in terms of comparing us to Blackpool over Wigan. Unlike Wigan we aren't going down still with the benefit of premiership parachute payments bolstering our income. And we have a grossly overpaid set of players we need to shift, but I assume some of those players will still be here next season as there won't be suitable takers able to pay their wages.

I'm not sure I entirely agree about "taking our time". I mean I imagine we won't make an appointment till the end of the season. But dithering over who we want won't help. Deano's had months to consider what he'd do and Browny has been being warmed up for the job for a while now.

Be interesting to see what would happen should Southend make it too difficult to get Brown, and actually that is a possibility. Brown has shares in Southend as part of his contract. It is a bit messy for a club like us who needs to save every penny. I wonder if Deano has a second choice in his thoughts?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:20 am

Tombwfc wrote:My issue with Brown is that it'll cost money to get him out of his new contract, and then presumably we'll have to improve said contract in either value or length (or, knowing us, both).

Then he'll have to work with a squad that isn't good enough as it is, eroded further by anybody even close to decent leaving and with no money to replace them. Plus the added weight of expectation that people will think we should at least challenge for the playoffs.

I don't know, Brownie is a good manager, but is he that good that he should be our new manager and star signing? Is he alone better than Phillips/O'Driscoll/Powell/Holloway plus the money we save in not paying compensation and a committing to a big contract?
He'll work with young players plus a few cheap signings. We're entering a different world. Nobody knows how it will pan out,

I will say our best player is a lad who wasn't even considered at the start of the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Deano's had months to consider what he'd do
:lmfao: No, no, no. Apparently those months have been entirely taken up with listening to ED change demands on a daily basis they didn't even get chance to read through player Contracts during DD...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Deano's had months to consider what he'd do
:lmfao: No, no, no. Apparently those months have been entirely taken up with listening to ED change demands on a daily basis they didn't even get chance to read through player Contracts during DD...
Well he'd have had months longer if ED hadn't continually changed the terms of the deal. ED signed off on the deal 5 minutes before the court appearance back in Feb. That is fact. So yes the delays have hampered them.

But my point was, (given we are where we are now) that it isn't like Deano won't have considered who he'd like as manager. Biding our time won't particularly help. It isn't like we'll have all that many to choose from as we are unlikely to be top of many people's lists right now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 am

How long would you think it should take to sell a football Club? You are still spouting about changed terms from ED without being able to mention a single one, like a stuck record. How long before a Court appearance ED signed off isn't relevant. The Court appearance achieved its aims. The only thing we know for "fact" that changed was SS changing one of their backers.