I'll Just Leave These Here...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

SeasideShrimper
Hopeful
Hopeful

I'll Just Leave These Here...

Post by SeasideShrimper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:32 am

New contract talks have been mentioned
Ron will reject any offers from you

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/ ... hil_Brown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/ ... eculation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...yeah.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I'll Just Leave These Here...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:37 am

I saw a full version of the quotes from Brown today and he was actually talking about new contracts for players.

You and I know full well that he would like to come back and manage us. The only question is whether we can afford to prise him away in our current situation, especially if your chairman digs his heels in.

But this has been going on a long time. Your Chairman isn't making these comments for nothing and you know that too. Right now we won't do anything till the end of the season and this is all a pantomime. Bargaining over price.

But there isn't any guarantee we'll be able to match the price you ask and that is the sticking point I can see.

But if we did, you know, Brown would be here in a shot. Barring I suspect your promotion this season, which may well change things again for obvious reasons.

SeasideShrimper
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by SeasideShrimper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I saw a full version of the quotes from Brown today and he was actually talking about new contracts for players.

You and I know full well that he would like to come back and manage us. The only question is whether we can afford to prise him away in our current situation, especially if your chairman digs his heels in.

But this has been going on a long time. Your Chairman isn't making these comments for nothing and you know that too. Right now we won't do anything till the end of the season and this is all a pantomime. Bargaining over price.

But there isn't any guarantee we'll be able to match the price you ask and that is the sticking point I can see.

But if we did, you know, Brown would be here in a shot. Barring I suspect your promotion this season, which may well change things again for obvious reasons.
Not in the slightest...

But he revealed another new deal had already been spoken about between him and the Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin.

“I’ve had plenty of conversations with the chairman about the future and new contracts have come up in those talks as well.

“There’s still work to be done here and we want to get this club back into the Championship.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

SeasideShrimper wrote:
Not in the slightest...

But he revealed another new deal had already been spoken about between him and the Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin.

“I’ve had plenty of conversations with the chairman about the future and new contracts have come up in those talks as well.

“There’s still work to be done here and we want to get this club back into the Championship.”
We shall see. I'd not put any money on it either way.

I know if he gets the chance to come here, he very probably will. Good luck with the rest of your season. Sadly ours is already dead.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:05 pm

SeasideShrimper wrote:New contract talks have been mentioned
Ron will reject any offers from you

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/ ... hil_Brown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/ ... eculation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...yeah.
Whatever - nowt we're going to be able influence as fans. Lots of Managers move despite new Contracts etc. I doubt we'd be looking to pay significant money to buy him out of a Contract.

SeasideShrimper
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by SeasideShrimper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Granted, if he gets the chance, there's nothing to say he won't leave us.

End of the day, if you go down and we somehow go up, he'll stay with us.

He's had three excellent years with Blues and It'd be sad to see him leave. If he goes, I reckon we'll get Chris Powell to replace him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 pm

SeasideShrimper wrote:Granted, if he gets the chance, there's nothing to say he won't leave us.

End of the day, if you go down and we somehow go up, he'll stay with us.

He's had three excellent years with Blues and It'd be sad to see him leave. If he goes, I reckon we'll get Chris Powell to replace him.
Don't think the fans Jury is universally behind Brownie. Most of the dialogue has been in the press based on the fact Deano and Brownie are "mates"...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Brown's quotes are open to interpretation, which is hardly surprising as they're somewhat obfuscating. Also worth noting that the local paper describes him as "from the north-west of the country": try walking east from South Shields and see how quickly your hat floats.

I have no doubt that he would rather manage Bolton than Southend – that's with no disrespect to you, but because he has 15 years of history here as player, captain, assistant manager, caretaker manager, assistant manager again and intended future manager – but I have serious doubts that we will be able to afford a six-figure compensation, if that's what it takes to buy him out of the three-year contract he signed last summer.

I also remember we had a similar instance with Sam Allardyce, whom Notts County didn't want to let go. He resigned. These things have a habit of happening, as was proven eight years later when he resigned the Bolton job to spend time with his family; not much time, as just over two weeks later he started at Newcastle.

Please don't imagine I'm typing this as a billy big-bollocks Big Club Fan. If Brown came to Bolton he'd probably have less money to spend next year than if he stayed. But he has long harboured an ambition to manage this club, he retains a great affection for the area and it would not surprise me at all if a deal is reached in the summer. Unless of course you get promoted... and even then I wouldn't be astonished if he bows out, his job done and reputation secured.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Brown's quotes are open to interpretation, which is hardly surprising as they're somewhat obfuscating. Also worth noting that the local paper describes him as "from the north-west of the country": try walking east from South Shields and see how quickly your hat floats.

I have no doubt that he would rather manage Bolton than Southend – that's with no disrespect to you, but because he has 15 years of history here as player, captain, assistant manager, caretaker manager, assistant manager again and intended future manager – but I have serious doubts that we will be able to afford a six-figure compensation, if that's what it takes to buy him out of the three-year contract he signed last summer.

I also remember we had a similar instance with Sam Allardyce, whom Notts County didn't want to let go. He resigned. These things have a habit of happening, as was proven eight years later when he resigned the Bolton job to spend time with his family; not much time, as just over two weeks later he started at Newcastle.

Please don't imagine I'm typing this as a billy big-bollocks Big Club Fan. If Brown came to Bolton he'd probably have less money to spend next year than if he stayed. But he has long harboured an ambition to manage this club, he retains a great affection for the area and it would not surprise me at all if a deal is reached in the summer. Unless of course you get promoted... and even then I wouldn't be astonished if he bows out, his job done and reputation secured.
Yes this is in my view exactly it.

He hasn't ruled himself out. And his initial quotes screamed that he would like it, without burning his bridges.

If he didn't have links to Bolton and Deano then I think the chances are he'd not have much interest in trading a good thing at Southend for a far less certain future here.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:38 pm

Managers trade good things for uncertainty at bigger clubs all the time.

Holloway was working miracles with Plymouth and could have got them in the Prem, but chose to swap them for troubled Leicester, who sacked him a few months later.

Rosler was on a good thing with Brentford but swapped it all for struggling Wigan. Granted, he changed their fortunes quickly but was still sacked a year later, while his old club got into the Championship playoffs.

More recently, Jimmy Floyd swapped favourites-for-promotion Burton for a QPR, a club operating under the cloud of real uncertainty. He's not ripping up any trees, and could easily be out within a few months while his old club go from strength to strength.

Brown will come to Bolton if we want him and can afford him. Whether it's the right decision or not rarely seems to come into it.

SeasideShrimper
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by SeasideShrimper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I'll chuck this into the mix too. Brown's weekly column in our local rag

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/143513 ... _Southend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:02 pm

SeasideShrimper wrote:I'll chuck this into the mix too. Brown's weekly column in our local rag

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/143513 ... _Southend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After reading that; and I've never been more certain of anything, he'll be here by the middle of next week.
Businesswoman of the year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:13 pm

You sound like a bloke going through all the stages of a divorce mate. Want a hug?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:20 pm

TBH our last two poach-ees have hardly been soaraway successes.

I'd rather we scout further afield and try and unearth our own gem.

All respect to Browny I wouldn't want to see him down the road in 18 months time with a relegation to League 2 on hic C.V.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 pm

http://www.sportsshield.co.uk/wp-conten ... A_7826.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brownie has never even met Deano....honest...... :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:You sound like a bloke going through all the stages of a divorce mate. Want a hug?
Well, quite. The more press snippets we post, the less likely something is to happen. It's a well know fact. ITK.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:You sound like a bloke going through all the stages of a divorce mate. Want a hug?
Well, quite. The more press snippets we post, the less likely something is to happen. It's a well know fact. ITK.
Trying to convince himself I guess. We've all been there at some stage.

End of the day if he comes here there are no guarantees same as if he stays there. Football has a funny way of throwing up surprises. Jimmy Phillips might win 6 games and become the fans choice? And a free one at that....

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.sportsshield.co.uk/wp-conten ... A_7826.jpg

Phil Brown wrote:But I’ve certainly had no contact from anyone at Bolton and I’ve not spoken to anybody there either.
I think he is being 100% factual. He has never spoken to anyone in an official capacity from Bolton. I am fairly confident (without any evidence) that he has spoken to Dean but that would have been before he took over at Bolton.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 pm

malcd1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.sportsshield.co.uk/wp-conten ... A_7826.jpg

Phil Brown wrote:But I’ve certainly had no contact from anyone at Bolton and I’ve not spoken to anybody there either.
I think he is being 100% factual. He has never spoken to anyone in an official capacity from Bolton. I am fairly confident (without any evidence) that he has spoken to Dean but that would have been before he took over at Bolton.
I'm fairly confident that he's been warmed up for the job by Deano for a fair while.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:32 pm

SeasideShrimper wrote:New contract talks have been mentioned
Ron will reject any offers from you..So...yeah.
Are we in the market for Ron (whover he may be)...gee, this is news indeed.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?