For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
enrdentw wrote:According to Wiki he only played once last season. Has his page not been updated or was he injured/massively out of favour?
I noticed that. It was quick enough to list him as a Bolton player so would seem odd if they hadn't updated last season's appearances. He's had a pretty solid career up to now and is still young, so looks like a good signing
His Wikipedia page actually says that he played one game in the season before last, and there's no data after that. My guess is that it's not been updated as I definitely watched him score against Barnsley, his home town team, in the play-off final a month ago.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 pm

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/23697/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 am

Sheffield Wednesday fan mate of mine rated him but said he went stale under old mangement so was loaned and sold to millwall. Like I said before, better standard of signing than I was expecting and the right profile for the kind of signing we need.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Beevers officially signed now.

Two year deal.

Megson tried to sign him whilst he was here.
I'd have left that last line off, you just tied a ton of lead round his neck :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 am

Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

I'd have left that last line off, you just tied a ton of lead round his neck :lol:
He signed Cahill so Id argue a decent judge of a centre half.

Seems like Beevers hasn't quite lived up to those early expectations. Still seems a good singing for us now. Perhaps a bit better than good to get a vastly experienced centre half at the level we are playing in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Megson tried to sign him whilst he was here.

:D Anyway yeah, Beevers played 54 games for Miwwaww last season, bagging 5 goals, 9 yellows and 2 reds (both for second yellows). Season before that he played 26, out of the team for a couple of spells, maybe injured.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:28 am

^ That could confuse a simple person. This is Mark Beevers.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

Seems like Beevers hasn't quite lived up to those early expectations. Still seems a good singing for us now. Perhaps a bit better than good to get a vastly experienced centre half at the level we are playing in.
He also signed Danny Shittu for 2.2m iirc, so lets agree Megson is a nice person with a better recruitment record than his successors, but didn't half sign some shite too :)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

He also signed Danny Shittu for 2.2m iirc, so lets agree Megson is a tw*t with a better recruitment record than his successors, but didn't half sign some shite too :)
I think that was DSB's point, above.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:42 am

clapton is god wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

He also signed Danny Shittu for 2.2m iirc, so lets agree Megson is a tw*t with a better recruitment record than his successors, but didn't half sign some shite too :)
I think that was DSB's point, above.
Just making sure Insano doesn't start a Megson love in or owt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:56 am

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Every manager buys shit players! Part no parcel unfortunately!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

He also signed Danny Shittu for 2.2m iirc, so lets agree Megson is a tw*t with a better recruitment record than his successors, but didn't half sign some shittu :)
Amended the last bit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Two year deal.

He also signed Danny Shittu for 2.2m iirc, so lets agree Megson is a tw*t with a better recruitment record than his successors, but didn't half sign some shittu :)
Amended the last bit
:D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Image

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Anyway. Without hyperanalysing every word, I was intrigued by Parky's comments that Beevers offers "balance" to the back four. Here's the quotes per BN:
I’m really, really pleased with the signing,” he said. “He gives us another option at the back, he’s left-sided, a good age and he’s a player who we feel has got the best years ahead of him. I wasn’t surprised at all that he had a lot of suitors over the last few weeks – but we’re pleased he’s coming to join Bolton. You need character in a League One team but then you do at any level of the game. You need only look at the Euros right now and see how the Welsh defenders are going about their business. Mark has got a lot of experience in the Championship and this level, so we feel he’ll be a really good acquisition. It gives the back four a nice balanced feeling.
So does Beevers bring balance through being left-footed? Skilful? Characterful? A good age? Experienced at this level?

Wider: who else is even in the back four? Despite Parky's welcome words that we won't sell Holding unless we get a proper offer, surely we can't plan to have him. Other than him, in the middle we've got Dervite, possibly Derik and the unproven Alex Finney; the only left-back is Moxey, with Wilson and possibly Pisano on the right - although I imagine the Italian will be loaned out or sold. You'd have to assume, as things are and notwithstanding Parky's predictions that there'll be more ins and outs, that we're looking at Moxey-Beevers-Dervite-Wilson. Not saying that's a bad thing - Wilson's got third-tier experience and Moxey played his first six seasons lower than that, although his payscale has left it behind...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Anyway. Without hyperanalysing every word, I was intrigued by Parky's comments that Beevers offers "balance" to the back four. Here's the quotes per BN:
I’m really, really pleased with the signing,” he said. “He gives us another option at the back, he’s left-sided, a good age and he’s a player who we feel has got the best years ahead of him. I wasn’t surprised at all that he had a lot of suitors over the last few weeks – but we’re pleased he’s coming to join Bolton. You need character in a League One team but then you do at any level of the game. You need only look at the Euros right now and see how the Welsh defenders are going about their business. Mark has got a lot of experience in the Championship and this level, so we feel he’ll be a really good acquisition. It gives the back four a nice balanced feeling.
So does Beevers bring balance through being left-footed? Skilful? Characterful? A good age? Experienced at this level?

Wider: who else is even in the back four? Despite Parky's welcome words that we won't sell Holding unless we get a proper offer, surely we can't plan to have him. Other than him, in the middle we've got Dervite, possibly Derik and the unproven Alex Finney; the only left-back is Moxey, with Wilson and possibly Pisano on the right - although I imagine the Italian will be loaned out or sold. You'd have to assume, as things are and notwithstanding Parky's predictions that there'll be more ins and outs, that we're looking at Moxey-Beevers-Dervite-Wilson. Not saying that's a bad thing - Wilson's got third-tier experience and Moxey played his first six seasons lower than that, although his payscale has left it behind...
Think we're light on defensive cover, or first team defenders. That back four looks reasonable but our relatively luxurious selection of young full back cover has all been jettisoned. And we're short at centre half generally, at least in terms of experience.

Up front is even scarier right now with only Madine as what you'd call a real striker. I somehow can't see Woolery featuring that much under PP and seems as though Clough will be sold if at all possible.

Certainly short of a couple of defenders and a couple of strikers. Still think Maher and Threlkeld especially were worth keeping, Threlkeld for his versatility if nothing else. Could play anywhere across the back four or in midfield.

I also think that numerically the centre of midfield is fine but we don't have a single player there who I'd be confident of doing a job in this division at this stage.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Can't really argue with much of that. I guess there's more ins and outs to come.

We'll never know, but I wonder how many of this squad PP would genuinely like to keep.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: I also think that numerically the centre of midfield is fine but we don't have a single player there who I'd be confident of doing a job in this division at this stage.
Think we're ok if we can find some money for Spearings Surcharge and with Sparky in there
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Has Threlkeld found another club yet ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".