For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Serious question, is Vela actually all that good? After initial promise when he broke through for the odd premiership cameo I've seen very little to suggest he's anything but an average player.
He's 5' 11 1/2" so I'm not sure.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:23 am

Farewell Rob, we hardly knew ye. All the best, buddy.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 am

thebish might have wrote:it'll be interesting to see if Parky plays him..
Carts before horses and such...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 am

Beefheart wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Serious question, is Vela actually all that good? After initial promise when he broke through for the odd premiership cameo I've seen very little to suggest he's anything but an average player.
:D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 am

Enoch wrote:
thebish might have wrote:it'll be interesting to see if Parky plays him..
Carts before horses and such...
good point - well made! :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:46 am

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
:D

Same height as me. And I'm shit at football so......

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:01 am

Bit of a passenger isn't he?!

We'll find out after half a dozen games this season, if he's involved. Lennon always said he had talent, but didn't really give a flying one. "over a defeat before he's back on the bus" he said to a lad I know.

He shows glimpses of talent and combativeness, but doesn't really bust a gut to get around the pitch and really get involved
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:03 am

Loose-lipped Lennon appears to have gobbed off to anyone who stood still long enough. Can't imagine why he lost the dressing room.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Loose-lipped Lennon appears to have gobbed off to anyone who stood still long enough. Can't imagine why he lost the dressing room.
Freedman didn't like Vela's attitude either.

Whilst we might say two poor managers got it wrong, I would concur with Lennon's view. Several times last season I thought Vela looked lazy and half hearted.

Be interesting to see what Parky gets out of him. I worry he's another who thinks he's got it made, before he's really done anything of value.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Loose-lipped Lennon appears to have gobbed off to anyone who stood still long enough. Can't imagine why he lost the dressing room.

Whilst we might say two poor managers got it wrong, I would concur with Lennon's view. Several times last season I thought Vela looked lazy and half hearted.

Be interesting to see what Parky gets out of him. I worry he's another who thinks he's got it made, before he's really done anything of value.
I don't think he'll get anything out of him, because I don't think he'll get in his team. Certainly not in Midfield

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't rate Vela at all, he can do a job at full back but he's IMO a poor midfielder with a shocking, sulky attitude.

My slight worry so far about Parkinson is that he's not addressed the central midfield issue, and its exactly as it was last season and a major reason why we went down - they were lazy, static, uncreative, weak - they rarely got forward enough to support the attack and didn't provide any help for the defence.

There's obviously a few weeks left before the season starts but a new strong, hard tackling, midfield leader is a must for me if we are to have any chance of success this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't rate Vela at all, he can do a job at full back but he's IMO a poor midfielder with a shocking, sulky attitude.

My slight worry so far about Parkinson is that he's not addressed the central midfield issue, and its exactly as it was last season and a major reason why we went down - they were lazy, static, uncreative, weak - they rarely got forward enough to support the attack and didn't provide any help for the defence.

There's obviously a few weeks left before the season starts but a new strong, hard tackling, midfield leader is a must for me if we are to have any chance of success this season.
I agree. Though he's got a problem in that he's already got, Vela, Trotter, Pratley, Spearing, Mark Davies for the centre of midfield. We know that there is a problem with all those players but he does have to ensure we have balance and wide players are important, as are full backs.

I strongly suspect he knows exactly what we need but until he shifts players his hands are tied somewhat. It may well be longer than one summer to get all the pieces into place.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Much as I'd like to get shut of many a midfielder, I'd say he'd be daft to spend time and money getting another when we've already got a bunch of them sucking wages out of the club - I'd rather Parky tried to get the buggers working than get a replacement and pay someone 10 times the L1 average to sit in the stands.

Moreover, he's got some glaring weaknesses to attend to. We've got pretty much the same defence that was shit last season, except we've lost its leader (Wheater) and are about to lose its most natural talent (Holding). We've got two full-backs, Moxey and Wilson. We've got one winger, Chris Taylor (and a hopeful in Tom Walker). As a front-runner we've got Madine and Proctor, who according to my mate who went to Mansfield was worse than Madine. And we've also released many of the kids who might have stepped up to those roles.

For me, assuming we sell Holding but can't shift any midfielders, the order of necessity is winger, centre-back, full-back, striker (fast rather than big) – before we look at another CM.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Much as I'd like to get shut of many a midfielder, I'd say he'd be daft to spend time and money getting another when we've already got a bunch of them sucking wages out of the club - I'd rather Parky tried to get the buggers working than get a replacement and pay someone 10 times the L1 average to sit in the stands.

Moreover, he's got some glaring weaknesses to attend to. We've got pretty much the same defence that was shit last season, except we've lost its leader (Wheater) and are about to lose its most natural talent (Holding). We've got two full-backs, Moxey and Wilson. We've got one winger, Chris Taylor (and a hopeful in Tom Walker). As a front-runner we've got Madine and Proctor, who according to my mate who went to Mansfield was worse than Madine. And we've also released many of the kids who might have stepped up to those roles.

For me, assuming we sell Holding but can't shift any midfielders, the order of necessity is winger, centre-back, full-back, striker (fast rather than big) – before we look at another CM.

Has Woolery figured at all pre-season?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm

On the wing in both games, I think.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Think we might be fine up top: Procter, Madine, Clough, Clayton and Woolery. Pressure on the young boys, but Clough needs to play in the final 3rd.

Out wide looks v threadbare, particularly in midfield. 2 wingers and at least one full back would be my priorities. At least one CB (Wheater back seems probable). If we sign Greer and Wheater, I don't think it's going to be a very high line!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Wellington has signed for Fluminense, so that's out of the question too

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Much as I'd like to get shut of many a midfielder, I'd say he'd be daft to spend time and money getting another when we've already got a bunch of them sucking wages out of the club - I'd rather Parky tried to get the buggers working than get a replacement and pay someone 10 times the L1 average to sit in the stands.

Has Woolery figured at all pre-season?
Woolery came on at Mansfield and looked dangerous in that we finally had someone who could get behind their defence. Proctor was so static and slow looking so it made a difference. His final ball wasn't always great but he got a couple in. More of a sprinter than a footballer though, but let's hope he can develop that side of his game. If the coaching is simple and sensible and plays to.his strengths, he could be useful.

Vela is the most overrated player we have I think. He's better than walker, but not a 100 percent tryer. He's a had a few decent games but I can't see him playing regularly above league 1 level because he's no more than average at anything. Spearing should be first midfield pick every time. He had an urgency and presence about him on Saturday that was totally lacking from Vela and the clueless Trotter.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:Think we might be fine up top: Procter, Madine, Clough, Clayton and Woolery. Pressure on the young boys, but Clough needs to play in the final 3rd.

Out wide looks v threadbare, particularly in midfield. 2 wingers and at least one full back would be my priorities. At least one CB (Wheater back seems probable). If we sign Greer and Wheater, I don't think it's going to be a very high line!
Dervite and Beevers looked shite on Saturday, very slow and clumsy, regularly out paced and out thought by the movement of league 2 forwards. Can't judge Beevers just on that but spoke to an ex pro player at weekend who played recently in this division and he doesn't rate Beevers at all. Mate who supports Wednesday thinks he's decent. That's 4 very slow CHs though.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Oh and before any fecker asks I didn't meet said ex player in a toilet.