For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:05 am

bobo the clown wrote:But that's the point.

If we can't shift them, use them. If Parkinson is who we hope he us hell get then organised and get a performance out of them.
We're buggered then.

On a sight aside Mr B, I'm off to Tenerife in September and think I might visit this exclusive spot....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... lands.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:07 am

TKIZ! wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Wednesday/

£2m upfront and significant add ons. For one year left on his contract and 30 games under his belt that's not a bad bit of business.

If Parky now has the option of investing some of that in the squad we'll be in decent shape. Eardley/Greer would be good additions
Did anyone go last night and assess Eardley and Greer? Not sure about a 35yo centre-back. Didn't realise Eardley was only 27, I'd probably conflated him with Neal Ardley...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 am

Greer I guess is considered for his experience and ability to marshall a backline. My issue is whether he can play 3 games a week still. Because I feel we need a settled back 4 as much as possible. Not new partnerships being tried all the time.

Virtually every decent Bolton side I've watched has had a reasonably settled back 4, especially the two centre backs.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 am

bobo the clown wrote:But that's the point.

If we can't shift them, use them. If Parkinson is who we hope he us hell get then organised and get a performance out of them.

indeed - this surely HAS to be at least the starting point?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:19 am

Neal Eardley - 5ft 11in right-back, from Llandudno, turns 28 in November. Came through Oldham’s academy at roughly the same time as Chris Taylor (who’s two years older) – as teenagers the two were both sent off in the same game at Tranmere. Eardley was initially a winger but switched to right-back and was a regular in his teens, even skippering the team when Sean Gregan was injured or suspended. He and Taylor were both named in the PFA’s 2009 League One Team of the Year. He left in summer 2009 for second-tier Blackpool (fee around £350,000), spending four years there – mostly in the team (104 starts out of 176 league games), although that fell away when Holloway left in 2013. That summer he Bosmanned to Birmingham, where he has had numerous injuries, prompting Gary Rowett to call him “the unluckiest player going”. It’s intriguing that he has four years’ experience at this level but has since played in higher echelons (bar a month’s loan to Orient 18 months ago). Could be a good risk but that injury record is worrying.

Gordon Greer - 6ft 4in Glaswegian, turns 36 in December. Not many of our lads have faced Barcelona but GG did - admittedly in a pre-season friendly, as a sub, 15 years ago. That was his Blackburn debut but things didn’t pan out and he retreated back over Hadrian’s Wall until he was 26, when he joined third-tier Doncaster; they went up but he only made a couple of appearances over his two seasons. Ended up at Swindon on loan then signed on a free, was made captain and led them to the 2010 third-tier play-off final, although he was suspended for Wembley for a high-tackle red card. Switched to Brighton, made captain, sent off in his first game for punching someone – but he went on to make 236 appearances for the Seagulls over six seasons, five of those campaigns in the Championship. One assumes Parky knows what he’s doing with the old warhorse.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

maybe Parky is still looking for a steely-eyed and gritty no-nonsense captain character... and maybe his eyes have fallen on Greer....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:24 am

thebish wrote:maybe Parky is still looking for a steely-eyed and gritty no-nonsense captain character... and maybe his eyes have fallen on Greer....
Quite possibly so. He still has my trust.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:34 am

I hope we don't fall into the trap of having a lot of squad cover before having a really strong first team. I feel in recent seasons we've done this. Had cover for all positions but none of them actually that good. I'd rather take a risk on a smaller squad with better quality than a large squad with less quality.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:03 am

thebish wrote:maybe Parky is still looking for a steely-eyed and gritty no-nonsense captain character... and maybe his eyes have fallen on Greer....
I don't think this is Germane to the issue...
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope we don't fall into the trap of having a lot of squad cover before having a really strong first team. I feel in recent seasons we've done this. Had cover for all positions but none of them actually that good. I'd rather take a risk on a smaller squad with better quality than a large squad with less quality.
A reasonable request. I don't think Greer would be cover just because he's 35. He started most games for Brighton before January and started for Scotland against France in June – in fact one reason he's after regular football is to keep in Strachan's squad. (I guess "having a job" is another.)

Barring a loss of form, I would expect Taylor to start most games and Beevers almost all of them. Proctor might battle with Madine if we play a "target man' type, and I wouldn't expect Greer to just be padding out the numbers. Howard's back-up but I reckon Parky would be happy with him starting if we managed to palm Amos off.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 am

Greer is exactly the leader type that we need to organise the defence and the team in general for that matter.

Surely the new captain if he signs

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:25 pm

I've never heard of 'im
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:29 pm

On legs, I think we play 3 times a week a lot less now as there are no automatic breaks for international weekends. Got to factor in our JPT run though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:53 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:Greer is exactly the leader type that we need to organise the defence and the team in general for that matter.

Surely the new captain if he signs
I don't know the guy but I suppose the only issue may be pace across the whole of the back 4. I cant imagine at 36 he's going to be too rapid
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:On legs, I think we play 3 times a week a lot less now as there are no automatic breaks for international weekends. Got to factor in our JPT run though.
Hang on, Pru - there's nine three-game weeks before you even factor in the Sherpa Van: eight league midweekers (bookended by Saturday games) plus the League Cup (now called the EFL Cup, as opposed to the EFL Trophy, which is the Sherpa Van. Confused yet?)

The midweek dates are:
Aug 9 (EFL Cup)
Aug 17
Sep 27
Oct 18
Nov 22
Feb 14 (“Not tonight, love, we’re at home to Rochdale”)
Feb 28
Mar 14
Apr 18

Plus at least three in the EFL Trophy - dates described as “Aug 29-Sep 4, Oct 3-9, Nov 7-13”

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Oh..erm. Maybe not then! How many times is it in the Champo?

Were they introducing group stages into one of those cups at one point or have I made that up (as well)?

Also, I was using BWFCI's terminology, but I feel disappointed in myself for using the terrible "3 games in a week". No. It's two games in a week.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Wigan have got nine weekend-midweek-weekend trios in league - one more than us – plus the EFL Cup (League Cup). Guess Champos clubs have to factor in international breaks, as you say. They don't have the EFL Trophy (Sherpa Van) which is indeed starting with a four-team group: regionalised, each including one "invited" club plus three from Leagues One and Two (they also guarantee a divisional mixup, ie one team from L1 plus two from L2 or two from L1 and one from L2).

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I hope we don't fall into the trap of having a lot of squad cover before having a really strong first team. I feel in recent seasons we've done this. Had cover for all positions but none of them actually that good. I'd rather take a risk on a smaller squad with better quality than a large squad with less quality.
A reasonable request. I don't think Greer would be cover just because he's 35. He started most games for Brighton before January and started for Scotland against France in June – in fact one reason he's after regular football is to keep in Strachan's squad. (I guess "having a job" is another.)

Barring a loss of form, I would expect Taylor to start most games and Beevers almost all of them. Proctor might battle with Madine if we play a "target man' type, and I wouldn't expect Greer to just be padding out the numbers. Howard's back-up but I reckon Parky would be happy with him starting if we managed to palm Amos off.
If? Judging by the type of player we are signing I reckon the long ball/hoof is going to be our mantra.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:58 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Proctor might battle with Madine if we play a "target man' type
If? Judging by the type of player we are signing I reckon the long ball/hoof is going to be our mantra.
I think PP prefers the 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 playing off a target man, but last night he played a diamond midfield with two up top. That's more formational than tactical, but I'm glad to see a little diversification.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:49 am

PP in BN on potential newbies - speaking after Tuesday's Tranmere game, judging by the quotes.
Neal (Eardley) has had a tough time through injury so I didn’t want to give him any more time and risk getting him injured again, for himself more than anything. It's the same with David Wheater but pre-season is about looking at different things, different permutations and trying to find that formula which makes us solid defensively with the belief we can create and score some goals. Neal played well and we’ll continue to look at him.

[On Frazer Richardson and Gordon Greer] They weren’t officially on the bench (at Tranmere). They trained with us yesterday and came with us today to get a get a bit of football in their legs in the warm up and to just get them to know the lads. They are both excellent pros. I have worked with Frazer before [at Charlton Athletic] and obviously Gordon, Scottish international, terrific leader and it's good to have them on board. We'll continue to talk to them as the week progresses.
Frazer Richardson: born Rotherham, turns 34 in October, 5ft 11in. Graduated from Leeds’ youth set-up just as they were falling down a financial hole; didn’t become a regular until their first second-tier campaign, when he was mostly 22 years old. Played a lot thereafter – mainly right-back, but also right midfield and left-back – including 64 games in the third tier. In summer 2009 Leeds didn’t renew his contract so the near-27-year-old was picked up by Parky at (third-tier) Charlton. They reached the playoffs but lost on penalties - his fourth playoff defeat; he was named (at right-back) in the PFA’s third-tier Team of the Year (the previous year’s winner? Neal Eardley) then got signed by Southampton for a rumoured £450,000. He played 21 games as they went up to the Championship and then 34 as they went up again, but only 5 in the top flight. Since then he’s been all second-tier: released in June 2013, picked up by Middlesbrough, loaned to Ipswich then switched back to his hometown club for the last two seasons. All told he’s spent four years at this level and made 123 third-tier appearances.