For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I won't miss him as a full-back, which is seemingly the position that Wiggin have him down for, but I think that with the correct coaching and a prolonged run then there's a very decent midfielder in there somewhere. Certainly better than a few others that are currently costing us a small fortune.
Based on what evidence?? I can't remember a half decent performance out of the lad, although I'll stand corrected if my memory has let me down??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 pm

I do like the way we argue not about who's better, but who's worse... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I won't miss him as a full-back, which is seemingly the position that Wiggin have him down for, but I think that with the correct coaching and a prolonged run then there's a very decent midfielder in there somewhere. Certainly better than a few others that are currently costing us a small fortune.
Based on what evidence?? I can't remember a half decent performance out of the lad, although I'll stand corrected if my memory has let me down??
Based on him playing pretty well in midfield. You can't remember him having been half decent at anything due to your lack of attendance.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm

From what I've seen of Vela he is a way better fullback than a central midfielder. Wigan appear to have the same view. That doesn't seem to fit with how he sees himself however so maybe that is a reason why that move isn't attractive to him. However, I imagine it will all come down to wages. If Wigan offer him a significant pay rise I imagine he will push for the move. If we get £500k then we can't really complain as we don't seem to want to offer him a new deal. Not sure what he is on here, but I am sure we can get as good a midfielder to replace him without too much trouble on similar wages.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Ah, so you cant recall a decent match either then? Unless youre being unusually reticent. If I didn't get to the match, I listened on't wireless last season. I don't recall any stand out performances or goals or assists. All I seem to remember is a stream of negative comments on here and little if any mention in commentaries.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:None of this answers my question!! What's he good at? Why do Cardiff and Wigan and even allegedly Liverpool see? Why did Bobo want to adopt him?
I need an education. Not a Dougie one though, because he didn't rate him either.
On balance I'd keep him. Useful for the squad and can play RB where Buxton is injury prone and Wilson clueless.
You were doing well until you said Wilson was clueless.
Well I suppose clueless is a bit harsh. Not dependable. Works hards but loses too many 50/50s. He's the sort of decent pro I want to do well but doesn't fill me either confidence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:47 pm

^^ On the basis of the only game I've seen him in this season, he can't tackle, looked scared shitless and his passing wasn't too hot. Other than that...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:16 pm

The issue for me with Vela, is that he has little positional sense and doesn't seem to understand what playing in midfield means or what is required of him when he's sent out there. At full back, he knows what his job is and where he needs to be on the park - it's not rocket science. Had he been that way under one manager, I'd think it was a coaching issue. After several, it just seems like he's never going to get it.
Last edited by Bijou Bob on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:43 pm

With Vela, imo he's better at right back, which isn't supposedly his favourite position. I don't think he's good enough to be a central midfielder. He was anonymous in the first half against Sheffield United. He might get better seeing as PP is going to be playing him there regularly? I don't dislike him as a player, but he also isn't a standout player, but can also understand other clubs being interested in him as he is versatile. I say keep him

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:54 pm

twilight wrote:With Vela, imo he's better at right back, which isn't supposedly his favourite position. I don't think he's good enough to be a central midfielder. He was anonymous in the first half against Sheffield United. He might get better seeing as PP is going to be playing him there regularly? I don't dislike him as a player, but he also isn't a standout player, but can also understand other clubs being interested in him as he is versatile. I say keep him
I'm versatile - I can be shockingly bad in several positions! :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Well drop you off at Wiggin with Vela, then.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Well drop you off at Wiggin with Vela, then.
:D

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:02 pm

thebish wrote:
twilight wrote:With Vela, imo he's better at right back, which isn't supposedly his favourite position. I don't think he's good enough to be a central midfielder. He was anonymous in the first half against Sheffield United. He might get better seeing as PP is going to be playing him there regularly? I don't dislike him as a player, but he also isn't a standout player, but can also understand other clubs being interested in him as he is versatile. I say keep him
I'm saying keep him only because I don't think we'd replace him with anyone better? Our other midfielders are Spearing (who I like as a player), Trotter (who I can't make my mind up about as a player) and Mavies (injury prone), Pratley (injured)....have I missed anybody?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:03 pm

I presume you don't rate him....or me!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

twilight wrote:
thebish wrote:
I'm saying keep him only because I don't think we'd replace him with anyone better? Our other midfielders are Spearing (who I like as a player), Trotter (who I can't make my mind up about as a player) and Mavies (injury prone), Pratley (injured)....have I missed anybody?
aye - I agree - plus, Parky clearly sees some worth in him - trust in Parky! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:38 pm

twilight wrote:
TBF, I only saw him v Sheffield this season but he was pretty anonymous. I think he does look better at RB. Not convinced he's a RB either. At 22, playing in your more favoured position, I'd expect him to do something remotely memorable during 90 minutes, but I'm not seeing much improvement. I'd probably keep him but becoming less convinced he's going to push on.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:39 pm

he's no Nicky Hunt...

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Get rid. Need to spend some of this money though. Where has Holding money gone?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Get rid. Need to spend some of this money though. Where has Holding money gone?
Just don't think we will spend the money if we do sell him. It'll probably go on more bills or wages

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
twilight wrote:
TBF, I only saw him v Sheffield this season but he was pretty anonymous. I think he does look better at RB. Not convinced he's a RB either. At 22, playing in your more favoured position, I'd expect him to do something remotely memorable during 90 minutes, but I'm not seeing much improvement. I'd probably keep him but becoming less convinced he's going to push on.
Agree with that Worthy, just slightly concerned we might not invest in the squad if we do sell