For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by nelson66 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 am

Why havent they given these lads longer contracts ??
a years extension means they can go for free / tribunal at the end of next season
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2016 9:35 am

nelson66 wrote:Why havent they given these lads longer contracts ??
a years extension means they can go for free / tribunal at the end of next season
Because that would mean re-negotiating contracts. They had options in their deals which the club have automatically taken up. The players don't have any choice in the matter.

Should they want to extend further they will need to offer new contracts.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 03, 2016 9:41 am

Because they don't want to end up in the same position as we currently find ourselves, with a wage bill that we can ill afford? Were we to drop straight through Div 1, I suspect they'd want to unload people fairly sharpish and wouldn't be able to carry the risk of not being able to do so. We don't know if the Contracts have further options in them. So they've come to the conclusion that someone finding out one of these four is Pele, doesn't actually pose us any risk, although might lose us some transfer money.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

They'd hardly be on much! I mean they'll be on less than average for league 1 IMO! reason we can't offer them longer contracts is because we are under an embargo! These clauses fall through the net apparently!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2016 4:57 pm

I assume Threlkeld and Maher don't have the extension widget capability manifold.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Because that would mean re-negotiating contracts. They had options in their deals which the club have automatically taken up. The players don't have any choice in the matter.

Doesn't the transfer embargo mean that we aren't actually able to offer them new contracts?

It's one thing to exercise the option of one-year extension when it's written into the existing contract but surely an altogether different thing to offer a completely new one.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Doesn't the transfer embargo mean that we aren't actually able to offer them new contracts?

It's one thing to exercise the option of one-year extension when it's written into the existing contract but surely an altogether different thing to offer a completely new one.
I don't know. Heard we could sign up under 24's who were already here.

Fact remains I can't see Holding for example being that easy to tie up without the automatic extension option. And the other three why would we commit for more than a year at this stage?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 03, 2016 8:00 pm

We no longer live in a world of options. Wing and a prayer land is where we are and we'll have to play it all as we go. We've had an utterly lousy year and it hurts seeing teams like Burnley, Wigan and even maybe Hull heading the other way. Tighten the belts, deep breaths and get stuck in. Twelve months from now, who knows...?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:We no longer live in a world of options. Wing and a prayer land is where we are and we'll have to play it all as we go.
Anyone? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2016 11:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Good news. I'm far from convinced on Walker but I guess he is cheap. Is Finney out on loan or is that Taylor?
The older Quade Taylor is on loan at Dag & Red. Finney is younger but balding. Played at Huddersfield months ago then banished back to the Dev squad until JP gave him a whirl at Brentford; he had an absolute shocker, was shifted to fullback and shunted at half time.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 am

Finney captained the U21s last night against City, played in his usual position of centre half and had a decent enough game.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

Riviman wrote:Finney captained the U21s last night against City, played in his usual position of centre half and had a decent enough game.
That's good to hear.

In today's BN Wheater speaks highly of him:
Straight away when I heard Alex was coming off at Brentford I went over to him in the dressing room and told him not to worry and that he would have plenty more chances. He needs to stay confident and he will be fine. We all have bad games and it was a shame it came on his full debut. But he will definitely bounce back because he’s a good player. He’ll be fine.
Elsewhere in the same piece Marc Iles says we are offering extensions to Maher and Threlkeld plus first pro contracts to Garratt, Jamie Thomas, forward Chris Cvetko and goalkeeper Harry Campbell. George Newell has already signed for next year, we're offering scholarship extensions to Alex Honeyball, Callum Spooner and Alex Perry, and Alex Samizadeh is still ours too.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed May 04, 2016 11:25 am

Am I going to recognise any first teamers next season?
:conf:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:23 pm

I'd struggle to recognise any of this seasons lot in the street. Possibly Wheater and Madine, who looks like Bert from Sesame Street.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:38 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'd struggle to recognise any of this seasons lot in the street. Possibly Wheater and Madine, who looks like Bert from Sesame Street.
I must confess the main reason I'm aware of most of our younger players is through Football Manager...
Our first team are so dull and uninspiring I pay little attention. I suppose if I went to games then I might recognise a couple more. Hopefully we'll have a few characters next season. It's certainly help on the pitch.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Recognising them on the street is an interesting yardstick.

I don't think I'd recognise our players if they were happy. Maybe if they were gesticulating, furrowed-brow, at other pedestrians in an attempt to pass the buck...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote: To be honest mate I think we're all feeling a little like that! I'm quite excited for the youth coming through, even if it means a few seasons in League 1. I just want a team that seem passionate about the club and putting in performances again, what league it is doesn't really bother me greatly. As you say 9/10 of our senior players should be embarrassed by their performances in recent seasons.
I'd agree with all of that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 04, 2016 1:06 pm

TBF, I don't think I'd have recognised Steilos or Bobic in the street after a couple of games...Maybe Djorkaeff and probably Campo :-)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:TBF, I don't think I'd have recognised Steilos or Bobic in the street after a couple of games...Maybe Djorkaeff and probably Campo :-)
No need, you'd have tripped over the little fella :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:TBF, I don't think I'd have recognised Steilos or Bobic in the street after a couple of games...Maybe Djorkaeff and probably Campo :-)
No need, you'd have tripped over the little fella :D
He's taller than me! :oops: