For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:55 pm

thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:We won't be signing Kyel Reid, the free agent winger who PP has signed more than once. He's just gone to Coventry.
we'll not be speaking to him then...
:mrgreen:

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 pm

LeverEnd wrote:We won't be signing Kyel Reid, the free agent winger who PP has signed more than once. He's just gone to Coventry.
One of the positives on the Bradford fans site when PP came to us was that they thought they'd get rid of Reid as he'd take Reid with him!, So perhaps not a bad one to miss out on. Not that I know anything about the player.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Riviman wrote:
One of the positives on the Bradford fans site when PP came to us was that they thought they'd get rid of Reid as he'd take Reid with him!, So perhaps not a bad one to miss out on. Not that I know anything about the player.
Good then! We do need a winger though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Sorry, but spelling Kyel like that is stupid anyhow. I'd find it difficult to get enthused and would constantly be finding fault if he has hair gel as well. So probably all for the best.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Sorry, but spelling Kyel like that is stupid anyhow. I'd find it difficult to get enthused and would constantly be finding fault if he has hair gel as well. So probably all for the best.
Beat me to it

Ludicrous. We need more Sam's & Ben's
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Sorry, but spelling Kyel like that is stupid anyhow. I'd find it difficult to get enthused and would constantly be finding fault if he has hair gel as well. So probably all for the best.
Beat me to it

Ludicrous. We need more Sam's & Ben's

or Alfs... hmmmmmm....

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Pay fvcking more then!

meanwhile, Arsenal are pursuing two foreign-johnny defenders - FB Bruno Peres and "defender" Shkoran Mustafi - with a current combined price-tag upwards of £60,000,000

Holding was a bargain indeed! :?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Exactly. We were fecking robbed
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:04 am

3 million quid, with 2 mil up front for a largely unproven prospect isn't robbery. The fee was reasonable, get over it. What matters is who we spend it on. If we spend it.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:25 pm

Utter bollocks! they've robbed us.

Amount of money being spent in the prem is ridiculous! I see a promising (Arsene is already singing his praises) home grown CB who in this day and age should've fetched a cuple million more! ala Chris Smalling!

that's my opinion so you get over it!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Quick question then - How many other League 1 defenders have brought in 3 million quid lately?? Let's take that a stage further - How many 20 year old, unproven, half a season, League 1 defenders have brought anywhere close to that?

Likewise, I'd snatch the hand off any club willing to put up similar money for Clough(Unproven, lightweight and nothing more than a prospect, despite his lauding as The Next Coming by some folk) and I'd drive Vela anywhere in the country if we could get 10% of that for him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Quick question then - How many other League 1 defenders have brought in 3 million quid lately?? Let's take that a stage further - How many 20 year old, unproven, half a season, League 1 defenders have brought anywhere close to that?

Likewise, I'd snatch the hand off any club willing to put up similar money for Clough(Unproven, lightweight and nothing more than a prospect, despite his lauding as The Next Coming by some folk) and I'd drive Vela anywhere in the country if we could get 10% of that for him.
Agree about Clough except replacing him will be harder than finding a competent league one centre half.

Even if Clough is good for 10 or so goals only, how much will a striker cost us for those goals, and could we even find one? Solid centre halves in my view aren't that tricky to find and you can go up with solid unspectacular defenders.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Clough is facing a make or break season in my view. I had him down for 15 goals last season and in the end he was lucky to get just over a third of that. Given his injury record and his ability to flatter to deceive at times, a poor season may see him start a long slide into obscurity. I hope that's not the case. On the other hand, 3 million quid would fund Le Fondre and a wide man.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 pm

TBF, didn't you have Madine down for 15, too? :-)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:26 pm

If I remember (I can't be ar5ed looking), I think I had him down for double figures. As it happens, the heavily criticised Madine was our top scorer last year from open play I think. More than the exalted Clough in a season where he didn't like the manager, had some injury issues and missed a lot of sitters. I'm hopeful he'll do better this year, I've certainly not written him off just yet.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Quick question then - How many other League 1 defenders have brought in 3 million quid lately?? Let's take that a stage further - How many 20 year old, unproven, half a season, League 1 defenders have brought anywhere close to that?

Can't say for a League 1 player but what did Man U pay for Phil Jones? £16 or £17 million? 19 year old, played 35 games for Blackburn before his big move. Of course those 35 league games were in the Premier League not the Championship but you pay a premium for their potential not their current ability.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Clough is facing a make or break season in my view. I had him down for 15 goals last season and in the end he was lucky to get just over a third of that. Given his injury record and his ability to flatter to deceive at times, a poor season may see him start a long slide into obscurity. I hope that's not the case. On the other hand, 3 million quid would fund Le Fondre and a wide man.
I think Le Fondre is pie in the sky whether we sell Clough or not. His wages will be far more than the 6K we can hand out per week. We are still under embargo too.

Fact is that Clough can when at his best, score from a half chance or even create something himself. Of course if he only does that once in a blue moon then that's no good but I struggle to see us buying someone with the same qualities.

The worry for me with Clough is his physicality and fitness. He showed last season he could be bullied out of games or even kicked out of them. Teams in this league won't take long to give that a go as he will be one of the technically better players down here.

I still think we've a better chance of toughening him up than we have replacing him. Realistically any half decent offer and he's off though.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:23 pm

we should be expecting mavis and pratley to chip-in in this league...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

thebish wrote:we should be expecting mavis and pratley to chip-in in this league...
We've been expecting Mark Davies to chip in for years now, and he never does. Not sure there should be any realistic expectation he suddenly will now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:we should be expecting mavis and pratley to chip-in in this league...
We've been expecting Mark Davies to chip in for years now, and he never does. Not sure there should be any realistic expectation he suddenly will now.

aye - you'll note I used the word "should"...