For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:26 pm

I am now a bit confused.

Why can we sign under 23s? Is it only ones who have not played therefore dont count as squad players? And when does a development squad player become a squad player this season?

Also why were we allowed 24 players in the end? Special Mark Davies dispensation? Or were we allowed to spend the Amos wage saving? Common sense prevailed?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:I am now a bit confused.

Why can we sign under 23s? Is it only ones who have not played therefore dont count as squad players? And when does a development squad player become a squad player this season?

Also why were we allowed 24 players in the end? Special Mark Davies dispensation? Or were we allowed to spend the Amos wage saving? Common sense prevailed?
Must have got dispensation for Mavies being out for the season, we were essentially running with a squad of 22. Which is not the rules the FL put in place. That's my opinion
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Ken Anderson - you've proven me wrong. Thank you sir!
Hardly an achievement on his part!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:I am now a bit confused.

Must have got dispensation for Mavies being out for the season, we were essentially running with a squad of 22. Which is not the rules the FL put in place. That's my opinion
From memory, we can have a squad of up to 24, and a development player become a proper squad player as soon as they start a competitive first team fixture. The Football League's strict definition of a squad player actually hampers our ability to give youngsters a chance, which would appear to be in no-one's interest, but hey-ho.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:57 am

Just a thought about our signings and our team: If Ameobi starts in Mavies' position, and if Spearing and Vela are ever replaced by Thorpe and Henry respectively, with the rest of the team remaining the same, then:

1.) Every member of the starting eleven would be 6ft or over, and..
2.) The goalkeeper, whether Alnwick or Howard, would be the joint smallest player in the team.

I wonder if this would set some kind of record?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:11 am

Iles reckons we got £200k for the Wooly one, plus add ons for appearances etc.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 am

Riviman wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So, here's the transfer window ins and outs in total, as far as I can see:

OUT: 31
(21 released, 1 loan ended, 2 mutual termination, 3 transferred out, 4 loaned out)
RELEASED Paul Rachubka
RELEASED Ross Fitzsimons
RELEASED Hayden White
RELEASED Niall Maher
RELEASED Oscar Threlkeld
RELEASED David Wheater
RELEASED Quade Taylor
RELEASED Neil Danns
RELEASED Jordan Lussey
RELEASED Liam Feeney
RELEASED Rob Hall
RELEASED Emile Heskey
RELEASED Stephen Dobbie
RELEASED Tom Eaves
RELEASED Harry Campbell
RELEASED Jon Ceberio
RELEASED Channing Campbell-Young
RELEASED Jamie Thomas
RELEASED Yvan Wassi
RELEASED Chris Cvetko
RELEASED Alex Finney
LOAN ENDED Wellington Silva
MUTUAL Francesco Pisano
MUTUAL Filip Twardzik
SOLD Rob Holding
SOLD Tyler Garratt
SOLD Kaiyne Woolery
LOANED OUT George Newell
LOANED OUT Ben Amos
LOANED OUT Tom Walker
LOANED OUT Conor Wilkinson
Nat Phillips (Jimmy's lad) was also released, and immediately got a 2 year contract at Liverpool. Always thought he was the most promising of the youngsters we let go.
Cheers. While I certainly bow to your knowledge of the youth set-up, I've been working from the widely-circulated list of players, presumably those who were on professional rather than development/academy contracts – I can only assume Nat wasn't on big-boy terms, instead being an Academy scholar (he'd just turned 19 when he left). I know that several kids leave every year.

Interestingly, according to LoVS he was set to head to the American college circuit before Liverpool stepped in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Feels like our squad churn has been impressive, but as judged by first-teamer minutes on this infographic piece here, it's not even in the top half. Check out Oldham...

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Its a bit dated and depends on your views on Steve Claridges opinion, but came across the article below in the guardian, in my attempt to find out something about our new recruits. Be interesting to see how he has developed.

Steve Claridge

Tuesday 6 January 2009 00.05 GMT Last modified on Tuesday 5 April 2016 02.48 BST

I first watched James Henry when he was on loan at Bournemouth, along with fellow Reading loanee Alex Pearce. When Bournemouth asked for permission to play both in the FA Cup, Reading allowed Pearce to play but refused Henry. I'm sure this would have initially disappointed James, but it should also have served to show him that he was part of manager Steve Coppell's immediate plans, even though out on loan at another club.

With his skill and pace he was a threat when I watched him at the Fitness First Stadium, but his game was very loose, with few restrictions on what he did or didn't do, tactically or defensively. Since then he had broken into the Reading first team so I took in the game at Birmingham expecting a far more disciplined role to Henry's game and in the main I wasn't disappointed.

There are still areas where he needs to tighten up, particularly on the defensive side of his game, where he needs to do more when his team are under pressure, particularly when his full-back is being attacked. He has to realise the closer he gets to his own goal the more pressure he has to apply to the man on the ball.

There were a few times when he allowed the ball to go into the box too easily, although on the positive side, because he gave himself a yard more than he should he was rarely taken on and beaten. Also, when he stays up in a central role while his team-mates are defending free-kicks he has to make sure he is first to any ball that is cleared.

His strengths, as they should be for an out-and-out winger, are what he does with the ball. But, importantly for Reading, he is a natural wide player, giving width when needed and tucking in when defending. He has a good first touch, including with his chest – even after he had received a difficult drilled ball he cushioned it brilliantly, attacking the space in front of him. This was something that he did enthusiastically, meaning he was always quick to commit opponents.

He still retained the confidence on the ball I had seen at Bournemouth, even in what was always going to be a highly competitive game. Because of this confidence he was equally at home attacking his full-back down the line or cutting inside whether it be from advanced or deep areas. He had a fantastic half-volley cross early on in the game and this was a feature that stood out, as he was never rushed, but yet did not dwell too long on the ball when shaping up to cross.

Reading like to use the loan system to give their young players some experience and Henry is no different, not only going to Bournemouth but Norwich and Nottingham Forest as well. He hasn't done particularly well when out on loan to the two struggling Championship sides, with the loan periods cut short from lack of first-team action.

This leads me to believe that his style of play is better suited to a successful team where there is less emphasis on defensive duties, which is the weaker part of his game.

He has played five times for the England Under-19s, so things are happening pretty quickly for him. I am always wary of players like this, as he still has an awful lot to learn about the ugly side of the game. But at 19 there were enough nice looking things in his performance to ensure he has a real chance of making it at a good level.

How he rates
Age 19

Born Woodley

Position ­Right midfield

Height 6ft 1in

Weight 11st 11lb

From Academy

Pace 9

Heading ­8

Shooting 8

Crossing 8

Team responsibility 7

Value £750,000

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Steve Claridge - Steve Claridge! - assigning players arbitrary values like a homeless estate agent :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Hes 6' 1" though, that's the key thing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Beefheart wrote:Hes 6' 1" though, that's the key thing.
Nah, Claridge is less than six foot

We should ask Peter Crouch for his opinion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Just listened to Iles' summary of the press conference today.

Parky said of Woolery that he couldn't offer him enough first team football to justify turning the bid down. In other words he didn't rate him all that much.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Well, that's fair enough
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:39 pm

I'm just wondering whether we'll pick up anyone who's now out of contract. According to PP, a sixth deal fell through at 9.30 pm on Thursday, so presumably he would like another one in.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I'm just wondering whether we'll pick up anyone who's now out of contract. According to PP, a sixth deal fell through at 9.30 pm on Thursday, so presumably he would like another one in.
Ken Anderson said we had three more players we'd have liked to have signed, and would have been allowed to. Mind he also said focus was now on working with what we have till January.

Think the one that fell through was a cash buy.....

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I'm just wondering whether we'll pick up anyone who's now out of contract. According to PP, a sixth deal fell through at 9.30 pm on Thursday, so presumably he would like another one in.
Ken Anderson said we had three more players we'd have liked to have signed, and would have been allowed to. Mind he also said focus was now on working with what we have till January.

We can't have been about to part with any cash as we can only permanently sign players on a free at the moment.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We can't have been about to part with any cash as we can only permanently sign players on a free at the moment.
Well not according to Ken! And Iles reckons the cash buy was Jay Simpson.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Banged in a few for Leyton orient apprently
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18 pm

How would we have been allowed another 3 ?

.... & what's changed that would let us pat £cash.

.... & who's Jay Simpson ? (It's OK. Google is my friend. But I just know nothing of players at this level).
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".