TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wanderer

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wanderer

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm

So, as been totally proven either by us having had the money tap switched off or by bad choices in players our scouting 'network' is not great. This thread is purely about the players we should (and hopefully will) be taking a look at over the summer. This is not a transfer/rumour thread, we are not connected with any of these players. I'll also update this first post with a running list of players from the thread.

Dale Jennings (23)- Currently a free agent, plays on either winger and was touted as the 'next big thing. Played at Bayern Munich for a season and knows this league well, get the right type of Manager in and we could have decent player on our hands. Should easily be in our wage limits

Chris Eagles (30) - we know him, currently sitting it out in Bury reserves. Again, can play on the winger or behind the striker and if Clough is still going to be here would make a good back up. Again, needs a good manager and with a bit of persuasion would be within our price range wage wise. Just been released by Bury

Luton Shelton (30) - Beast of a man, played for same team as Ricardo Gardner in Jamaica. Languished in Russia and not played since the turn of the year. Bit of a wild card, can score goals, would he be out of our price bracket?

Sullay KaiKai (20)- Currently on loan from Crystal Palace to Shrewsbury (11 goals in 25 first team appearances) Right winger and out of contract with Palace in the summer. 20 years of age and a cracking turn of pace, linked with a loan to BWFC this season but nothing was followed up

Kane Hemmings (25)- played most of his football in Scotland currently at Dundee and fairly prolific (or at least more prolific than say Goal Machine Madine). Bulldozer of a CF, 25 years of age. However he's on a three year contract and it might take a bit to pry him away from them

Jai Reason (26) plays on the right wing (but has been employed as a left winger/Attacking midfielder. Out of contract with Eastleigh as been suggested, so would be well within the price structure for us. 45 games this season, 6 goals and 10 assists

Matt Taylor (26) Centre forward. 41 games this season and 25 goals. Nominated for League 2 player of the year and out of contract in the summer. Think this one is a bit of a no-brainer and certainly worth a look in summer. Well within our price range and this is one BWFC would do well to work quickly and try to sign. This could be our 'Jaime Vardy' type?

Tom Carroll (23) Defensive midfielder. 18 games as sub. Tough one this one, Tom plays for Spurs. Been out of loan for most of his career, could be a tough one to get and wages might be out of reach. His contract expires at the end of the season

Emmanuel Frimpong (24) Defensive midfielder. Recently released from Russian side Ufa. Learned his trade at Arsenal, tough tackling but can be prone to erratic behaviour. Might be worth a look, played for a number of teams currently in Championship and could be within our price range.

Quincy Awusu-Abeyie (30) Left winger/Forward. Recently released from Boavista. Much travelled journeyman. Played all over Europe and never really been settled. Certainly an older player when we will look to promote youth. Also a gamble on whether we could afford wages. Career total of 197 games and 21 goals

Jack Jebb (20) Central midfielder. Played all his career in Arsenal's youth ranks. Released at 18. Regarded as the next Jack Wilshere. Technically gifted, out of contract with Stevenage in summer. With the right type of manager I think he could be great, well within our price range. 9 games in League 2

Daniel Bentley (22) Highly rated goalkeeper from Southend. Out of contract in summer. Was subject to three bids from QPR in the transfer window of £1m/£1.2m and £1.25m. Worth a look if as suggested Browny will be our new manager and would give Amos some competition. Would be within our price range

Jack Payne (21) Attacking midfielder/Central midfielder. Highly rated from Southend. Out of contract in summer. Lots of interest from Championship clubs around this lad. 31 appearances this season with 9 goals and 6 assists. Again, if Browny does become new manager knows this player and could get the best from him. Great back-up for Clough or if indeed Clough goes good replacement

Jordan Bowery (24) Centre forward (but can play Number 10 role and left/right wings) currently plying his trade for Oxford on a short term contract till summer. Not as widely regarded as Kemar Roofe. Similar pace as Woolery. 15 games played/7 goals

Paul Taylor (28) Winger. Has played for numerous clubs in his career. Currently at Ipswich Town but has been on loan at Rotherham till January 2015. Has played for Ipswich reserves for this season, temperamental but has ability and again a candidate for an arm round the shoulder kind of manager

Stuart Taylor (35) Goalkeeper. Again, Taylor has played for a lot of clubs. Has a massive amount of experience and would make a decent first or back up goalie.

Ishmel Demontagnac (27) Winger played throughout the divisions. 121 appearances with 14 goals. Comparable stats with say Eagles.

Kyel Reid (28) Left winger. Not my one this one but mentioned by Nicko58. Experienced in this divisions, great turn of pace. Was touted as one of the shining stars of the Cup run. I think this is a good little find

John Egan (23) CB - Highly rated by Parky previously played for Ireland U21's and out of contract in the summer. Gillingham finished just shy of the Play-off places last season and we'll be playing them this term. Had a fairly mean defence with 56 conceded

Reece Burke (19) CB - Highly rated at Spammers. Parky had him on loan last season at Bradford and they had one of the toughest defences in the League 1. Parky would have to ask Bilic for the loan again as it looks like Burke signed a long term contract a couple of years back

Andrew Davies (31) CB - One of Parky's favourites. Currently plying his trade in Scotland with Ross County. Would need to buy this chap

Stephen Darby (27) RB - Came from Liverpool's academy, Parky rates this guy and again established himself in the Bradford side that has one of the meanest defences in the league. We'd have to buy him as he has 1 year left on his contract

James Hanson (28) CF - The scourge of defences in League 1 and the focal point of Bradford attacks. He came to prominence during the cup runs and Parky rates him. This one might be tough, Hanson was born in Bradford and has played for them for a long time. Only has one year left on his contract. Bradford fans have said he's a bit like Marmite

Filipe Morais (28) Winger - Parky got him for £7k from Chelsea. Tore them a new one during the cup game/cup runs. Decent in the cross and has praised Parky for rejuvenating his career. Has one year left on his contract

Nick Powell (22) Secondary striker - touted as the next 'Big thing'. Scored a few for Crewe before a much publicised move to ManUre. Scored on his debut but has 'questionable' attittude. Scored a cracking overhead offside goal against us whilst playing for Wigan which stood. I'm sure there would be more teams out there in for him.

Sone Aluko (27) - Forward. Released by Hull. Might interest a lot of the Championship teams. Worth a look if his wages are at an acceptable level. 1 in 4 goal to game ratio, don't know if he's drop down a division?

Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson (25) - Forward/Winger. Again played alright this season for Wolves. Not prolific but as we currently only have Tom Walker on the wing might be worth a look. Plus he's Icelandic and we could do with a bit of that spirit in our side

Jose Baxter (24) Attacking Midfielder - Tough one this as he was touted as a big star on his arrival to the Everton first team. It didn't work out and has plied his trade at Oldham and Sheff United. Handy with the goals but volatile and has been suspended for off field shenanigans on more than one occasion. Just been released
Last edited by TKIZ! on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wandere

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Sullay KaiKai (20)- Currently on loan from Crystal Palace to Shrewsbury (11 goals in 25 first team appearances) Right winger and out of contract with Palace in the summer. 20 years of age and a cracking turn of pace, linked with a loan to BWFC this season but nothing was followed up

Kane Hemmings (25)- played most of his football in Scotland currently at Dundee and fairly prolific (or at least more prolific than say Goal Machine Madine). Bulldozer of a CF, 25 years of age. However he's on a three year contract and it might take a bit to pry him away from them
Last edited by TKIZ! on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pfffft.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Chris feckin' Eagles!

And people moan about Mavis and his 'no shows'

Bloody hell you'd have to be a manager hell bent on getting shot/run over/tipped in the croal etc.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:Chris feckin' Eagles!

Bloody hell you'd have to be a manager hell bent on getting shot/run over/tipped in the croal etc.
Yes, yes they do. I'm one of them. Eagle's no shows were generally interjected with games where he scored or set some bugger up - not at all like Mavies.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Yes, yes they do. I'm one of them. Eagle's no shows were generally interjected with games where he scored or set some bugger up - not at all like Mavies.
Didn't seem like that when he was here though did it?

He had the talent but not application was the buzz word back then, turned up when he felt like it, Mavis!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Didn't seem like that when he was here though did it?

He had the talent but not application was the buzz word back then, turned up when he felt like it, Mavis!
Not noted for a keen sense of observational skills, most of our fans. I thought he wasn't good enough for the Prem, but it's a bit like Feeney - popular with the yemptiyeds, to have someone to call, even when it's obvious they're performing better than owt else on show.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:09 pm

That first season after relegation from the Prem, Eagles was our top scorer with 12 and IIRC was also top assister with another 12. There's not just potential there, there's proven ability.

However, there must be a reason that after he left us he was unemployed until November, when he took a short-term deal at Blackpool; why that didn't work out and he didn't get another deal until February, when Charlton took him to the end of the season; why that didn't work out and he was unemployed again until October, when Bury took him on for the season; why that's not working out either and he's started one game all season.

You can't get in the game without talent, but you won't stay in it without application. I don't know what's up with him - he's only 30 - but there must be a reason he sailed through three successive transfer windows without anyone picking him up. Cash? Motivation? Bad rep?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Given our finances Eagles is exactly the kind of bloke we should be looking at. Come on trial and if you impress there's a 6 month deal on league 1 wages.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Quite simply if eagles comes, the club wont get my money, he is lazy, bone idle, sulky and a moaning tart, and he has ability. Milked us for £1,000's.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Devon White wrote:

Quite simply if eagles comes, the club wont get my money, he is lazy, bone idle, sulky and a moaning tart, and he has ability. Milked us for £1,000's.
I disagree. He's definitely a soft lad but I always thought he kept showing for the ball when others hid, even when things weren't going well. I'd have him back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:50 pm

I think he lacks desire and doesn't have the heart to fight for it. We need fight and bottle as much as skill next season and he definitely lacks that. A shame as he has the ability to be a good player.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:55 pm

True but a player who has it all won't be playing for us. With some tough lower league players and a decent manager he could do a job I think.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:36 pm

He doesn't win 50-50s. Not having he doesn't have desire. Add others have said he never stopped showing. Had a haircut so the not-rights wrote him off as a gayer. Would have walked into our team this year. Too busy trying to play football than get into fights for lower leaguers to rate him.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:He doesn't win 50-50s. Not having he doesn't have desire. Add others have said he never stopped showing. Had a haircut so the not-rights wrote him off as a gayer. Would have walked into our team this year. Too busy trying to play football than get into fights for lower leaguers to rate him.
Agreed. He did put a shift in, at top level. But since leaving us ... the fool ... he's drifted terribly. I'm not sure it's there to be got any more. If it is then he'd be worth a go .... but isn't he currently failing to get in Bury's team ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:45 pm

I always thought he was quite good. But then the shite that we've seen as the club has slowly unravelled over the last few years has put a sepia-tinted cloud around my recollections.

Remind me, why did he leave and under whom? I have to say my gut instinct sides with DSB . But we are beggars rather than choosers.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:56 pm

He left at the end of Freedman's first part-season. IIRC Freedman didn't like him and somewhat hung him out to dry, in a precursor to the situation with Tyrone Mears - with whom Eagles arrived from Burnley under Coyle.

I'm not against him. I liked him. I wonder why he's not had a trial for Houston Dynamo.

Here's Eagles railing against Freedman. Interesting he says how much he liked the club. I was speaking to someone yesterday who'd just spent some time with Robbie Elliott, who also spoke very highly of Bolton as a friendly club.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Does he like it enough here to come and play for buttons though?

We have to delve right back into our collective memories to remember what it takes to get out of the lower leagues. A lot of spirit - individual, team and, yes, from the supporters too - is what I recall from 23 years ago (ouch!).

Players who actively want to be here might play a big part in that.

But would he just represent more jobs for the boys, or be this seadons Tony Kelly? High stakes game isn't it when you're playing with nowt?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:28 pm

Eagles, a Yes from me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Eagles, a Yes from me.
Absolutely TD me also....

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 pm

I'd like to see us take a punt on someone like Jai Reason at Eastleigh who tortured us at times with his pace in the fa cup. He'll be on buttons and would probably kill his own Grannie for a pro contract. Cheap, virtually risk free and realistically, probably more at the level we can afford than anyone listed above.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.