A New Frontier

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

What's an acceptable finishing position next season?

Avoid Relegation
10%
Lower Mid Table
12%
Top Half
19%
Play Off Outsiders
12%
Play Offs
17%
Promotion
24%
Run-away Champs
7%

Total votes: 42

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

A New Frontier

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:36 pm

So then. August represents an opportunity to start afresh.

Time to put the disaster of this season behind us, and look ahead.

What would you be happy with in League 1 this time next season?

Cast your votes...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: A New Frontier

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat May 07, 2016 3:36 pm

A friend today reminded me that 8 years ago Leicester were relegated to Div. 1

Be reet.

Promotion I reckon.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 07, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm reserving judgement for a month or two until it's clearer who will be managing us and if the dynamic duo can get their act together.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'm reserving judgement for a month or two until it's clearer who will be managing us and if the dynamic duo can get their act together.
Aye. Impossible to say right now. Need to see the manager and squad. If it's Reid/Phillips and 'go with what we have' squad wise I really fear we could slip another league.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Tell you what, let's have a poll now and then a different one later in the summer.

I'm currently reasonably optimistic but that may be affected by failure to get (1) a good manager (2) rid of the overpaid underachievers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 07, 2016 5:48 pm

Think it's fair to say at this stage there's a fair spread of viewpoints. Probably a reflection on the lack of any sort of certainty. :-)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Interesting that nobody has yet selected the "Play Off" option - which would imply that should we finish next season in the play offs, but fail to win promotion, few would be satisfied. As opposed to the few that have selected Play Off Outsiders - so would people therefore be happier with nearly-but-not-quite getting into the play offs, rather than getting there but not winning the grand prize?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat May 07, 2016 5:58 pm

I've voted for promotion. I'm expecting this because I will have a season ticket and I'm a lucky mascot for them 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2016 6:02 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Interesting that nobody has yet selected the "Play Off" option - which would imply that should we finish next season in the play offs, but fail to win promotion, few would be satisfied. As opposed to the few that have selected Play Off Outsiders - so would people therefore be happier with nearly-but-not-quite getting into the play offs, rather than getting there but not winning the grand prize?
nah mate it's just different opinions, you can't take an average. The average person has one testicle, and all that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:Interesting that nobody has yet selected the "Play Off" option - which would imply that should we finish next season in the play offs, but fail to win promotion, few would be satisfied. As opposed to the few that have selected Play Off Outsiders - so would people therefore be happier with nearly-but-not-quite getting into the play offs, rather than getting there but not winning the grand prize?
nah mate it's just different opinions, you can't take an average. The average person has one testicle, and all that.
i've always known I am more than averagely equipped down there... 8)

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat May 07, 2016 6:22 pm

If we are to have any chance next season Pratley needs to be a long way from the Macron. The team mirror him in the way they play....plodding, slow, lethargic, clueless, don't give a shite, mentally weak, head less chicken, zero quality, cant pass or shoot for toffee.

1st job for the new manager has to be to try & sell Pratley or at least shift out on loan (even if its subsidised) - IMO he cant be in the 1st team next season never mind be captain....the team won't / can't change the way they play with Pratley in the side.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Are there options for with/without Darren?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat May 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Whoa!! Hold your horses! We may find out next season that Pratley has truly found his level,and could turn out to be our talisman! Or maybe not!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat May 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Does't matter who comes and who goes! We got to be expecting to be flirting with the play offs surely?
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Sun May 08, 2016 11:07 am

twilight wrote:I've voted for promotion. I'm expecting this because I will have a season ticket and I'm a lucky mascot for them 8)
Following wigan and wolves, has to be promotion.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 am

twilight wrote:I've voted for promotion. I'm expecting this because I will have a season ticket and I'm a lucky mascot for them 8)
There you go. Blind, unfounded, irrational optimism .... & I love it. It's how it should be.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun May 08, 2016 1:35 pm

By hook or by crook, by every which way but loose, our aim surely as a club is to try to claw our way back up, isn't it?

Admittedly, we have to stop the slide as a priority (and from Warnock's interview the other night, DSB, it looks like he hasn't signed for Rotherham yet). Yet, simultaneously, you can't aim for mediocrity and hope to achieve it.

New season, new hope! COYFWM!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Devon White wrote:
Following wigan and wolves, has to be promotion.
Doesn't have to be... (Nice to meet you yesterday BTW)

This idea intrigued me so I checked how the 15 clubs relegated from tier two over the last five years have done in the subsequent Division Three campaign. The answer is decidedly mixed yet curiously rigid: 3 title-winners, but none up as runners-up; 3 made the play-offs but none have yet gone up (unless Millwall buck the trend this year); 6 were in midtable but miles off the playoffs (finishing 11th to 18th); ...and 3 went down.

Here they are, ordered by the season they went down (bottom team first) with their finishing position the following year in brackets, and additional info where interesting.

2014/15: Blackpool (21R), Wigan (1C), Millwall (5PO)
2013/14: Yeovil (24R), Barnsley (11), Doncaster (13)
2012/13: Bristol City (12 - champions the following season), Wolves (1C), Posh (6PO)
2011/12: Pompey (24R), Coventry (15), Doncaster (1C, relegated back again the following season)
2010/11: Scunny (18, relegated the following season), Sheff Utd (3PO), Preston (15, promoted after four seasons)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:from Warnock's interview the other night, DSB, it looks like he hasn't signed for Rotherham yet
Fair enough, ta. Still don't want him. :D

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 pm

I did think about having a vote, but decided it would be perhaps disrespectful as a follower of another team to get involved, or not the recommended course of action.

Just wanted to say, hope you can return as soon as possible. Bolton I think are one of the founder members of the football league, have a long and illustrious history (not to mention the famous White Horse Final) and really, the third level of football is no place for a a club of your stature.

Been reading through one or two other club pages today and teams involved yesterday, and all the talk is about the promoted teams and Brighton missing out - but no mention of the relegated sides which I thought was unfair. Yes you've had a poor season and we won't get to play you again for at least another year, but tell yourselves you're the best of league One when it all gets underway again in a few weeks, and hopefully with enough belief and determination, Bolton can be playing at the second level once again. As before, a club of your history and recognition should not (ideally) be playing at third league status.

Don't let the negatives of this season get you down and try to remain upbeat. :pissed: