Stelios Giannakopoulos - your memories

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Stelios Giannakopoulos - your memories

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 am

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about heroes of the Euros (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get Whites fans' memories of Stelios Giannakopoulos. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Bolton (and the Greece team, if you followed his international exploits!).

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website during the tournament. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to The Wanderer.

Some of you might recall I did something similar a few months back on Per Frandsen: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast- ... 40790.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Kevin

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Stelios Giannakopoulos - your memories

Post by Vertigo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Being a Greek Australian with no real family influence toward an English football team, but with a desire to fully support one, Stelios was my excuse to pick a club other than the 'big four' of that era to get behind. Given our underdog status and relative success around 2005/2006, it was an easy decision for me and one I don't regret for a second.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi Kevin,

I really enjoyed the Frandsen article so I feel obliged to help contribute to the one about Stelios.

I was at University in Liverpool at the time and when I wasn't going back to Bolton at the weekends to watch the Wanderers I would often go to Goodison with an Everton supporting friend. It was December 2005 and me and my friend had tickets in the Upper Bullens - well away from the Bolton fans. We were 1-0 up from a Davies goal in the first half before Big Sam took off Jay Jay Okocha for Nicky Hunt to everyone's bemusement. However, in the space of 5 minutes we were 3-0 in front - Stelios had already scored from close range after Speed scored a penalty. Then came my personal favourite Stelios moment; he picked up a loose ball from a Bolton tackle, beat one man, side-stepped David Weir to give himself half a yard before unleashing a calm right footed strike from just outside the box into the top right corner! Having contained my excitement for the first three I sprang silently to my feet, fists clenched tightly in my pocket, I received a few funny looks from the Everton fans in the immediate vicinity before returning to my seat and giving my Everton supporting friend a wink and a huge supercilious grin. Great memories and a great goal. I think that result was the biggest away win of the season by any team.

That was my personal favourite memory of Stelios who always played with a smile on his face. The smile on his face as he raced away to celebrate his sublime second will be something I won't forget.

Bring on AFC Wimbledon!

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Edit: the shot was just inside the box - just found a replay on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iF8bid4WTIc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Kenwright's face..... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Towards the end of his stay, in what had been a dire game, this Megson-era injury-time goal from Stelios won a crucial three points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... HcTOw#t=55

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 67853.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:00 pm

^^ That was possibly the most boring and certainly one of the coldest games I can recall. I'd just nipped down the steps on the way out when the bugger scored.

TheHeatonWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheHeatonWanderer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:49 am

Stelios what a player probably the best winger we had since David Lee. He scored some brilliant goals for example that one against Norwich in 2005, what a beauty that was! He also scored some vital goals especially in his last season with us in 07/08 - the late equaliser against Aris, the late winner against Derby County which was an awful match to watch. I was gutted when he left in 07/08 alongside another player with heart and desire (Ivan Campo).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 am

bloody norah - saw that title and thought - "blimey - has he died?" :evil:

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:^^ That was possibly the most boring and certainly one of the coldest games I can recall. I'd just nipped down the steps on the way out when the bugger scored.
I remember the match well, but not for the scintillating football on offer. The heavily pregnant missus was in hospital at the time (fortunately, I found someone else to use her season ticket that night) - the littl'un very thoughtfully held off being born until the next day, so I got through the match undisturbed.

And talking of children, as regards Stelios - IIRC, he endeared himself to Bolton fans when his little boy wore a Wanderers shirt during his dad's post match interview in Euro 2004 (the one that Greece won).
More generally, he was one of that era who actually looked as though he was enjoying playing (Campo and even Dioufy are other examples) - players these days (not just Wanderers players, but everywhere) seem to spend all the game in a foul mood. No need for it either - just because Campo had a little smile or giggle with the fans didn't mean he was any less focussed (double "s" or not? Spellcheck tells me no, but I don't agree).

Fook me, I sound like a grumpy old man.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:05 am

Little Green Man wrote:Towards the end of his stay, in what had been a dire game, this Megson-era injury-time goal from Stelios won a crucial three points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... HcTOw#t=55

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 67853.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Remember thinking it could turn out to a massive one that...

Also remember it was a game I finally dragged my mate to a pub to watch Bolton play. Needless to say that never happened again.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:11 am

enrdentw wrote:Then came my personal favourite Stelios moment; he picked up a loose ball from a Bolton tackle, beat one man, side-stepped David Weir to give himself half a yard before unleashing a calm right footed strike from just outside the box into the top right corner!
Side-stepping David Weir would probably earn you more than half-a-yard. Bloke was molasses.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:29 am

One of my favourites from that era. He was such a great all round player in that he had an eye for goal, caused the opposition problems, created for others and worked bloody hard. Always had a smile on his face. Every team needs a Stelios.

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks for your replies so far guys - great stuff. Will be writing publishing this at some point in the next month! Will post the link when it's done. Cheers