The Academy - the future

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Academy - the future

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 am

"The EFL will reward clubs for promoting young, domestic talent"

Or fine you for it, if it's in the cup. Dicks
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am

Eventually the readership of the Mail and Express will die out. :help:

Do your bit, one non-click at a time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:56 pm

They've got to be home-grown *and* U21 to count because...well I haven't got a fecking clue why.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:They've got to be home-grown *and* U21 to count because...well I haven't got a fecking clue why.
BECAUSE FOREIGNERS THATSWHY

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 pm

JJ4bwfc92 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... eason.html

Misleading headline as always from the mail but still - We all know the media hate us dont we? (BSA at Bolton = boring defensive long ball - Mourinho with 1 shot all game = defensive mastermind) but I digress - headline suggesting we haven't played any youth/home grown players at all this :conf: - step up Vela and Clough.....
I really don't think that they care about us much either way.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:44 am

boltonboris wrote:"The EFL will reward clubs for promoting young, domestic talent"

Or fine you for it, if it's in the cup. Dicks
Absolute bollocks that isn't it.

This initiative is fine, though the only one I've Got hopes for is Samizda, and he's not english? Not sure the young midfielder is going to make the grade. The cup though...fck me they got that wrong.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:21 pm

U23 lineup for the imminent KO v Crewe:
Turner, Spooner, Moxey, Lavelle, Derik, Trotter, C. Taylor, Perry, Newell, King, Clayton.

Some first-teamers in there, and is that George Newell back from his Fylde loan?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:U23 lineup for the imminent KO v Crewe:
Turner, Spooner, Moxey, Lavelle, Derik, Trotter, C. Taylor, Perry, Newell, King, Clayton.

Some first-teamers in there, and is that George Newell back from his Fylde loan?
I think that he's on one of those loans which allow him to play youth matches for his parent club.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Nicko58 wrote:

I think that he's on one of those loans which allow him to play youth matches for his parent club.
And he's just scored.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Initially misread Lavelle as Laville, which took me back.

Did a quick Wiki search, Laville only played 15 times for us ?!!?
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

And he's just scored.
Aces, ta.
jonnybwfc wrote:Initially misread Lavelle as Laville, which took me back.

Did a quick Wiki search, Laville only played 15 times for us ?!!?
Yeah I had a similar thought process. Laville was crocked, but he was a vital last-minute signing. Most of Sam's Jan 31 splashes were about as welcome and useful as garage flowers or half a bag of cold chips, but Laville helped steady that defence enough to keep us up. (Well, that and taking Bernard Mendy out of the back-line, putting him further forward where he could do more damage to the opposition and less to us.)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Made his debut against Man U as I recall, and was immense
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Made his debut against Man U as I recall, and was immense
Aye - in fairness, he managed more games for us than Sean Davies did in 3 years. :-)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Ah memories. Laville was such a good signing. We went from having a ridiculously porous defence to looking pretty solid as soon as he started playing.

That 2002-03 season, that race with West Ham, when both teams started playing CL contenders for the last 10 games, and all the other teams at the bottom found some kind of form, that was such an emotional season. Personally, I knew no matter what it took, I had to get ST's for the next seasons, I couldn't miss any of that era. Average crowds of 26795 for the 2003-04 season suggests I wasn't alone.

Time to watch this again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLDva_VrJ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT, actually meant this. ^^ that is marvellous too though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ahfnopd9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Samizade and Navara (sp?) scored two goals apiece as the under 18's came back from 2-0 down against Huddersfield to win 4-2.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:04 pm

At the BWSA meeting on Thursday Parky was asked about young Alex Samizade and he replied that he knows fans are calling for him to be incuded in the first team squad but in his opinion, which is what counts, Alex has "a long way to go before he is ready for that step up".
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Interesting, thanks. That trial at derby never came to owt either.

I dunno, goalscorers are goalscorers at whatever level. Time will tell.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am

Nice to read this BN interview with Jiminho. It's hooked on a productivity figure but I like the peek behind the scenes at the enmeshing of the management for senior and junior players, since we moved to Lostock. That might be something of a necessity but Parkinson showed a lot of guts and love to be present as Phillips went through the retained/released conversations with the Academy lads. He doesn't have to do that – it's often cited as one of the hardest things in football - so he's gone right up in my estimation with that.
Jiminho said, Iles wrote:Quite often in the past the first-team management would be so consumed in their own jobs they wouldn’t get to know the players as much. This season, for the first time ever, when I went through the release process with the players the manager sat in the room. That is because he knew every player. He knew how they’d played, watched the Under-18s games on a Saturday morning before a game at the Macron, regularly attends the Under-23s with his staff, so that’s a huge bonus for our academy players. Every boy – whether kept on or released – will have had an opportunity to impress the first-team management. We hopefully won’t make any wrong decisions.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ountry__39_/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am
Nice to read this BN interview with Jiminho. It's hooked on a productivity figure but I like the peek behind the scenes at the enmeshing of the management for senior and junior players, since we moved to Lostock. That might be something of a necessity but Parkinson showed a lot of guts and love to be present as Phillips went through the retained/released conversations with the Academy lads. He doesn't have to do that – it's often cited as one of the hardest things in football - so he's gone right up in my estimation with that.
Jiminho said, Iles wrote:Quite often in the past the first-team management would be so consumed in their own jobs they wouldn’t get to know the players as much. This season, for the first time ever, when I went through the release process with the players the manager sat in the room. That is because he knew every player. He knew how they’d played, watched the Under-18s games on a Saturday morning before a game at the Macron, regularly attends the Under-23s with his staff, so that’s a huge bonus for our academy players. Every boy – whether kept on or released – will have had an opportunity to impress the first-team management. We hopefully won’t make any wrong decisions.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ountry__39_/
This is an absolute basic of management. I cannot believe Parky is the first to do that here. Absolutely shocking. Sure you may not be directly line managing someone but if you are overall the most senior manager in the place with ultimate responsibility you sure as hell sit in on the difficult conversations. Well you do if you want any respect at all.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

This is an absolute basic of management. I cannot believe Parky is the first to do that here. Absolutely shocking. Sure you may not be directly line managing someone but if you are overall the most senior manager in the place with ultimate responsibility you sure as hell sit in on the difficult conversations. Well you do if you want any respect at all.

Difficult conversations? You're a manager, a job to do, just how hard is it to tell someone they have no future with the club/company? You don't have to be mean and the odd lass in tears don't help but if you cannot do that, you should not be in the job of a manager or maybe the director of operations have sat in with me when I had to fire someone?
No wonder we have flakes, do you give them a Kleenex?