The Academy - the future

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Academy - the future

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am

Fans might be surprised how many managers ignore the youth side completely, bar the occasional have-you-got-me-a-prodigy badgering. Phillips has been in charge of the Academy under Megson, Coyle, Freedman, Lennon and Parkinson - all very different managers - and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Allardyce was similarly hands-off in terms of that very specific duty.

You also wouldn't get that "senior involvement" in difficult conversations in many other lines of work. I've had to let people go and the CEO sure as shit wasn't in the room. I guess they'd say that it's part of my own management learning curve.

I wonder how much the looming mythological Fergie has to do with this perception that managers are everywhere at a club. One or two still try, but most now delegate like hell. That's fine if it works, and helps them get the percentage points to maximise returns from the first team (which is after all The Job in a market wracked with short-termism). But as I say, it's good that Parky is so sleeves-up, personally involved.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 17, 2017 10:31 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

This is an absolute basic of management. I cannot believe Parky is the first to do that here. Absolutely shocking. Sure you may not be directly line managing someone but if you are overall the most senior manager in the place with ultimate responsibility you sure as hell sit in on the difficult conversations. Well you do if you want any respect at all.

Difficult conversations? You're a manager, a job to do, just how hard is it to tell someone they have no future with the club/company? You don't have to be mean and the odd lass in tears don't help but if you cannot do that, you should not be in the job of a manager or maybe the director of operations have sat in with me when I had to fire someone?
No wonder we have flakes, do you give them a Kleenex?
If you don't think telling an 18 year old lad who might have been with the club since he was 11 or 12 in some capacity he has no future here, counts as a difficult conversation then that says more about you than anyone else. Point is, sitting in on that shows good leadership. Clearly not something you are familiar with.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:31 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

This is an absolute basic of management. I cannot believe Parky is the first to do that here. Absolutely shocking. Sure you may not be directly line managing someone but if you are overall the most senior manager in the place with ultimate responsibility you sure as hell sit in on the difficult conversations. Well you do if you want any respect at all.

Difficult conversations? You're a manager, a job to do, just how hard is it to tell someone they have no future with the club/company? You don't have to be mean and the odd lass in tears don't help but if you cannot do that, you should not be in the job of a manager or maybe the director of operations have sat in with me when I had to fire someone?
If you don't think telling an 18 year old lad who might have been with the club since he was 11 or 12 in some capacity he has no future here, counts as a difficult conversation then that says more about you than anyone else. Point is, sitting in on that shows good leadership. Clearly not something you are familiar with.
Says a lot about the rise of .... oh never mind. Clearly you must be viewed as the 'soft touch' middleman.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

16572 posts of dribble. and counting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am
Fans might be surprised how many managers ignore the youth side completely, bar the occasional have-you-got-me-a-prodigy badgering. Phillips has been in charge of the Academy under Megson, Coyle, Freedman, Lennon and Parkinson - all very different managers - and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Allardyce was similarly hands-off in terms of that very specific duty.

You also wouldn't get that "senior involvement" in difficult conversations in many other lines of work. I've had to let people go and the CEO sure as shit wasn't in the room. I guess they'd say that it's part of my own management learning curve.

I wonder how much the looming mythological Fergie has to do with this perception that managers are everywhere at a club. One or two still try, but most now delegate like hell. That's fine if it works, and helps them get the percentage points to maximise returns from the first team (which is after all The Job in a market wracked with short-termism). But as I say, it's good that Parky is so sleeves-up, personally involved.
Be surprised if Allardyce wasn't involved. He managed every aspect of the club, with delegation obviously, but was very much hands on. At least before he got bored.

I'd also bet Rioch was one for fronting up to these things.

Strong managers take responsibility and don't just pass the buck.

Of course in non-footballing worlds there are hierarchies and the like and not every dismissal or redundancy involves the highest level of management. However, I think a manager of a football club should front up to the release of younger players. I think its part of the job, showing that you are involved and prepared to take responsibility. Certainly be something I'd do. Lead from the front, not the back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Be surprised if Allardyce wasn't involved.
He wasn't
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Be surprised if Allardyce wasn't involved.
He wasn't

I thought as much. In fact, I'd have been absolutely astounded if I heard otherwise.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Is it not possible for us to just celebrate us having a manager that actually gives a f*ck now?

And as for the moronic snowflake shit, I sincerely hope no prospective players or their parents are reading, nor indeed the club taking any notice (I'm guessing here, but, you know...). Revelling in others misfortune just for the sake of it marks you out as a Grade A C*nt in my book. They already had their dream shattered, why make it worse? Pure C*ntishness because you're pissed off with your own miserable life?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
16572 posts of dribble. and counting.
That's 16,573 posts better than the puddle of p*ss 2695 posts on the floor underneath them!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm
Is it not possible for us to just celebrate us having a manager that actually gives a f*ck now?

And as for the moronic snowflake shit, I sincerely hope no prospective players or their parents are reading, nor indeed the club taking any notice (I'm guessing here, but, you know...). Revelling in others misfortune just for the sake of it marks you out as a Grade A C*nt in my book. They already had their dream shattered, why make it worse? Pure C*ntishness because you're pissed off with your own miserable life?
I had you down for that many, many posts ago pal, fcukin' keyboard Ramsey!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm fairly sure that a Manager in a redundancy situation who had the foresight to understand some people might need a Kleenex and have them there just in case would be way more likely to have the breadth of vision to make it as a more Senior Manager than some cock whose foresight couldn't reach that far. All things being equal, I know which one I'm promoting.