New rules for 16/17 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

New rules for 16/17 season

Post by Riviman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:53 pm

http://www.northampton.vitalfootball.co ... p?a=454190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must admit I was a bit non plussed when we kicked off on Tuesday night with one man who passed the ball backwards. Good to see minor injuries can be treated on field and the player doesn't have to go off to come back on.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New rules for 16/17 season

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:42 am

Riviman wrote:http://www.northampton.vitalfootball.co ... p?a=454190

I must admit I was a bit non plussed when we kicked off on Tuesday night with one man who passed the ball backwards. Good to see minor injuries can be treated on field and the player doesn't have to go off to come back on.
Not the best article for this, given a lot is tongue in cheek....

However, I like the "double jeopardy" change. Having a player sent off for a mistimed tackle in the box and a penalty always seemed incredibly harsh and had the potential to ruin games.

My only issue is are refs good enough to distinguish between a last gasp effort and a malicious, cynical takeout?

FWIW in a real game, could anyone have complained had Wheater been red carded for the foul on Gray?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:13 am

It would never be a red card. The guy was going nowhere and had no chance of scoring from there. A gift.
Unless you start giving red cards for sheer stupidity, in which case it's a clear sending off!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:14 am

LeverEnd wrote:It would never be a red card. The guy was going nowhere and had no chance of scoring from there. A gift.
Unless you start giving red cards for sheer stupidity, in which case it's a clear sending off!
Red card for recklessness was what I meant. Not for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote: However, I like the "double jeopardy" change. Having a player sent off for a mistimed tackle in the box and a penalty always seemed incredibly harsh and had the potential to ruin games.
I think it's bollocks. Keeper gets rounded, knows he's conceding, so drags down a player.

You then go from a guaranteed goal, to a 50/50 with the same keeper able to save the penalty

Ridiculous rule
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:It would never be a red card. The guy was going nowhere and had no chance of scoring from there. A gift.
Red card for recklessness was what I meant. Not for denying a goalscoring opportunity.
Not in a million years, no.

Recklessness is disregard for a players safety and a dangerous tackle. Wheater was just an embarrassing attempt at getting the ball off a superior player. Not even in a shooting area.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:39 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: However, I like the "double jeopardy" change. Having a player sent off for a mistimed tackle in the box and a penalty always seemed incredibly harsh and had the potential to ruin games.
I think it's bollocks. Keeper gets rounded, knows he's conceding, so drags down a player.

You then go from a guaranteed goal, to a 50/50 with the same keeper able to save the penalty

Ridiculous rule
I think you forgot the Madine Factor there :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 am

boltonboris wrote:

Ridiculous rule
I think the new rule allows for some discretion for referees. Where there is a genuine attempt to play the ball. It is as I say, potentially going to make decisions tricky.

But there were plenty of cases whereby it wasn't that clear cut and players got red cards, hopefully this stops games being ruined, giving refs some discretion.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Ridiculous rule

I think the new rule allows for some discretion for referees. Where there is a genuine attempt to play the ball. It is as I say, potentially going to make decisions tricky.

But there were plenty of cases whereby it wasn't that clear cut and players got red cards, hopefully this stops games being ruined, giving refs some discretion.
It'll give the referee an excuse to show cowardice and keep his red cards in his pockets, when he should really be issuing them.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:44 pm

No doubt players will take cynically take advantage. And I agree with Boris about refs, most don't need a 2nd invitation to bottle a decision.
It can seem harsh at times but probably should be left as it is. You'll get players being given the benefit of the doubt early in games so as 'not to spoil the spectacle'. Having said that, a pull back should still be a clear red fkr example.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:58 pm

The problem is, making rules to facilitate poor refs, isn't the way to go. Improving refs and their understanding of the game is. In my view.

I think the trouble with a blanket "red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity" is that it penalises a cynical drag back or trip in the same way it would a genuine but mistimed attempt to get the ball. That blanket approach is presumably to protect referees from having to actually understand the game and make a decision. I realise that the grey area this leaves is not ideal.

But remember the rule is an attempt to stop a situation whereby a minor misjudgement leads to a penalty and a red and in many cases effectively kills the game dead. A referee should be able to tell the difference between deliberate cynicism and a genuine but mistimed tackle. I appreciate that they won't, but IMO you shouldn't have a blanket rule to protect refs.

It is like the ball to hand thing, where some people say, any contact with the hand should be an infringement. But again that just protects refs from having to interpret a situation and make a competent decision.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 pm

There'll never be consensus till people decide whether they want "consistency" or "common sense"

Often the same people

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 pm

Surely both. In favour of our chaps.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:16 am

Worthy4England wrote:Surely both. In favour of our chaps.
Cool. Bring back uriah rennie.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There'll never be consensus till people decide whether they want "consistency" or "common sense"

Often the same people
We don't have either now, so.....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Apologies if it's already posted, but have I read that for a "professional foul" which results in a penalty the penalty will be deemed to be penalty enough (far too many penalties in that). So an automatic sending off would no longer be the case ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The problem is, making rules to facilitate poor refs, isn't the way to go. Improving refs and their understanding of the game is. In my view.

I think the trouble with a blanket "red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity" is that it penalises a cynical drag back or trip in the same way it would a genuine but mistimed attempt to get the ball. That blanket approach is presumably to protect referees from having to actually understand the game and make a decision. I realise that the grey area this leaves is not ideal.

But remember the rule is an attempt to stop a situation whereby a minor misjudgement leads to a penalty and a red and in many cases effectively kills the game dead. A referee should be able to tell the difference between deliberate cynicism and a genuine but mistimed tackle. I appreciate that they won't, but IMO you shouldn't have a blanket rule to protect refs.

It is like the ball to hand thing, where some people say, any contact with the hand should be an infringement. But again that just protects refs from having to interpret a situation and make a competent decision.
The trouble with that theory is that all your chosen options introduce the element of subjectivity. The more subjectivity you have the more variance of opinion there will be. You interpret this as giving wriggle room to bad refs and also gives you the opportunity to disagree at length on the internet. I would suggest it makes it even more difficult to give decisions in good faith because everything is open to interpretation and that interpretation will always be likely to be coloured by personal prejudice, allegiance etc. If you introduce absolute offences they are just that absolute, no opinion no grey area on or off? It either is or it isn't but then Martin Samuels and Henry winter would be out of a job and footie fans would have nowt to moan about on forums.. If football gave a shit about helping the ref we'd already have technology yadda yadda yadda. Introducing 'in the opinion of the official' is just a recipe for another season of Mourinho style bollocks.. and endless Jamie Redknapp analysis...
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham