Match thread Blackpool (A) LC1R - 9th August 7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Match thread Blackpool (A) LC1R - 9th August 7.45pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:25 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:When not in possession likes of Davies, Trotter might as well sit down, because they just let runners to past them unchecked.
Surprised with Davies after his exceptional defensive appearance on Saturday. Very disappointing to read and he really does need to pull the trigger more. Because he's not going to get a run out of someone like Madine.

Can see why he holds the ball to drag people out and let them create room, but he needs to remember who he's playing with
Lack of runners in forward areas is an issue. Both Davies and Trotter had times when they broke and had nobody to pass to.

Davies would be great if he had end product. But we've said that through the whole of his career. A midfield player with less ability who could hit a shot or a decent dead ball will win more points than Mark Davies unless he adds real end product to his game.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Interesting to see a couple of comments about Woolery. To me, from the little I have seen of him, he has real potential and isn't far away from realizing it. He appears super quick and can finish low and hard with both feet. At this level he will really scare defenders. A Woolery/Clough front line or with Clough more withdrawn if we play one up front seems like it has potential at this level. Proctor seems a grafter who might get 10-15 goals so he is a good option, but really it seems hard to win games with Madine in there. He lacks movement, and doesn't take his chances and seems a real handicap even if he does sometimes put in a shift...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Interesting to see a couple of comments about Woolery. To me, from the little I have seen of him, he has real potential and isn't far away from realizing it. He appears super quick and can finish low and hard with both feet. At this level he will really scare defenders. A Woolery/Clough front line or with Clough more withdrawn if we play one up front seems like it has potential at this level. Proctor seems a grafter who might get 10-15 goals so he is a good option, but really it seems hard to win games with Madine in there. He lacks movement, and doesn't take his chances and seems a real handicap even if he does sometimes put in a shift...
Bit inexperienced, but Clough was hampered last season by the complete lack of pace, movement, ability and effort of the forwards. Playing off someone with pace will free up so much room for him to do his thing.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Blackpool got it tactically spot on last night, but the biggest difference for me was the speed with which they moved the ball around in the final 3rd. We were happy to overplay it at a pedestrian speed for most of the night and when Mavies did burst forward, no one filled in quickly enough to allow him to move the ball onto someone in space. Woolery at least gives us an outlet and his wing play was ok, allowing Mavies more space to push onwards through the middle when he drew several defenders. Sadly, Mavies was within 5 feet of him most of the time and didn't seem to spot the opportunity it presented.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:52 pm

For the sado masochists among you... highlights.

http://www.skysports.com/football/black ... ton/360010

Plus their 2nd shows why we need LB options.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Blackpool got it tactically spot on last night, but the biggest difference for me was the speed with which they moved the ball around in the final 3rd. We were happy to overplay it at a pedestrian speed for most of the night and when Mavies did burst forward, no one filled in quickly enough to allow him to move the ball onto someone in space. Woolery at least gives us an outlet and his wing play was ok, allowing Mavies more space to push onwards through the middle when he drew several defenders. Sadly, Mavies was within 5 feet of him most of the time and didn't seem to spot the opportunity it presented.
Space. The final frontier. Criminal defending.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Although it was a poor show it was a competition we don't need. If defeat meant keeping a clean bill of health for Saturdays game then so be it. A defeat at Wimbledon will set the alarm bells ringing.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:16 pm

We've played two games. 50% of which we won. It's a bit early for alarm bells to be ringing.
We were two minutes from extinction, have had several sucessive shit-house managers, faced a choking transfer embargo, haven't won away in 16 months, sold off our training ground, have a piss poor squad, downgraded our youth system and lost our BBC Radio Manchester coverage.

I think all things considered we should wait until...oh, I dunno...at least the end of September before panic sets in, no?
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:30 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:We've played two games. 50% of which we won. It's a bit early for alarm bells to be ringing.
We were two minutes from extinction, have had several sucessive shit-house managers, faced a choking transfer embargo, haven't won away in 16 months, sold off our training ground, have a piss poor squad, downgraded our youth system and lost our BBC Radio Manchester coverage.

I think all things considered we should wait until...oh, I dunno...at least the end of September before panic sets in, no?
Totally agree. We are better than we were last season. Not going to be plain sailing.

No need for panic. But last night showed that some of last season's issues are still here.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm

LeverEnd wrote:For the sado masochists among you... highlights.

Moxey at fault for the first leaving the man coming in at the back all on his own. No way they should have been allowed to win the flick on for the second. Even then, they shouldn't have been able to score from that angle. Moxey helped the ball onto their number 14 for the third, who then squared it to the scorer who was unmarked. We'd thrown men forward looking for the equaliser when they scored the fourth, but Vela showed a total lack of awareness as the scorer ran in behind him. Other than that......

If that's a combination of our first team and cover then I can only see another long hard season ahead. As for 1,400 Blackpool fans. Yeah right!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm

There were 167 in the 2 blocks nearest to us. I was bored. .....
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

Moxey at fault for the first leaving the man coming in at the back all on his own. No way they should have been allowed to win the flick on for the second. Even then, they shouldn't have been able to score from that angle. Moxey helped the ball onto their number 14 for the third, who then squared it to the scorer who was unmarked. We'd thrown men forward looking for the equaliser when they scored the fourth, but Vela showed a total lack of awareness as the scorer ran in behind him. Other than that......

If that's a combination of our first team and cover then I can only see another long hard season ahead. As for 1,400 Blackpool fans. Yeah right!
That's pretty much what I thought I saw on the highlights. Which is why I was so curious about us having a go at a toothless attack.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

That's pretty much what I thought I saw on the highlights. Which is why I was so curious about us having a go at a toothless attack.
Yes but context is a game where we dominated for long periods and I'm sure dominated possession we scored 2 goals from 3 on target but they with far less pressure and possession managed 4 from 9. With much less they created much more.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Yes, but if we'd scored 4, we'd have only drawn. :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Yes, but if we'd scored 4, we'd have only drawn. :-)
Although scoring 4 from 3 on target would have been pretty impressive! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:16 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:

You're being a bit harsh on Moxey there. On the first goal, it's Walker who's let the man go in on his own, Moxey can't drop off there, he'd leave the man in the centre on his own. On the third, he's trying to block the pass, it's hardly a through ball.

Vela does the right thing too, he's pushing the man wide, then the scorer comes out of nowhere. Who was running with him?

Looking at their 3rd and 4th goals, when was the last time we scored a goal like those?

The third drags us to bits with just simple pass and move and the fourth is just a really hardworking run and a great finish.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:16 am

To be fair we'd have to be winning to score a goal like the 4th.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:42 am

Moxey wasn't to blame for the 1st one, but it doesn't matter - We got carved open like we were playing BarceFuckinLona
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:51 am

Prufrock wrote:To be fair we'd have to be winning to score a goal like the 4th.

We'd have to have a midfielder who'd put his head down and bloody sprint into position too.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...