Bristol Rovers (a) match thread 17/08/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Bristol Rovers (a) match thread 17/08/16

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:35 pm

D.S.B sums it all up neatly and concisely.....

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/sh ... -weve-come" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:D.S.B sums it all up neatly and concisely.....

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/sh ... -weve-come" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice job, Barnet, as ever! 8)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Aye, thanks for two entertaining reads DSB.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:07 am

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Meh, corners are one of those things that always look like your team is crap at. For all the talk about "beating the first man, there's a reason v few people (Palace, a team of giants aside) just chip it into the box. It's easier to score if it's got pace and whip on it. It's much harder to beat the first man if you're aiming for six inches above his head with pace and whip. It also comes and goes. You can be hitting them bob-on one week and miles off the next.
What?? We're talking about blokes on 15 to 20 grand a week. If they can't put a decent ball in consistently, there's something badly wrong. If Spearing isn't getting it right, he's not practising enough. Thankfully, he's spending time practising his free kicks at the moment, so I can forgive him.
Unfortunately the blokes he's playing against are also getting paid to play football. So it has to be a little better than "decent".
if it is decent enough to clear the head of the first defender and put it in range of our motley crew of big lads - then it doesn't matter how good that first defender is at football - it's higher than he can jump! "decent" would be a very good start!
Except, not only do they have a motley crew of big lads, one of theirs is allowed to use his hands. So in order for this decent ball to not turn into catching practice for their goalkeeper, you're going to have to be drifting it out past the penalty spot. Good look to our motley crew of big lads scoring a header from 15 yards from a ball with no pace on it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 am

Bish - check out the headline on No.4 in the Bristol Post

Told you :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:34 am

Prufrock wrote:
Except, not only do they have a motley crew of big lads, one of theirs is allowed to use his hands. So in order for this decent ball to not turn into catching practice for their goalkeeper, you're going to have to be drifting it out past the penalty spot. Good look to our motley crew of big lads scoring a header from 15 yards from a ball with no pace on it.
strewth - it's almost as if it is impossible to score a header from a corner - why does anyone bother trying!!

here's the thing... in the area at corners on wednesday night we lined up 4 or 5 properly big lads - bigger than their defence in order to win a direct headed goal or a scrappy knock down onto someone's foot.

too many times we failed to get the ball anywhere near any of those lads we had put there for that purpose. I don't think getting it in that zone - or if I was Boycott, in the goalie's corridor of uncertainty - is impossible against the Bristol City defence.

maybe I am being harsh. so sue me!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:55 am

As ever, I'm in the middle on this. I agree with Prufrock that corner-taking is a much harder job than people think, but I also know that a fair percentage of Spearing's the other night weren't very good. Like crossing generally, corner-taking is a much lower-percentage generator than people seem to think, but that simply means it should be worked on.

Judging by Wheater's bubbly comments in the BN, they do work hard (but have fun) getting into good habits.
We’re working hard to be organised and every day in training we’ll do something on defending. If one of us goes up for a header and the other doesn’t cover, we get told to do press-ups.
Little things like that get good habits in your head and I think we’re doing well covering each other in games now too because there are some big fellas in this league. It gets in your head. It’s simple. And I don’t like doing them!
There's more quotes on there, about his partnership with Beevers, doing it for the fans, and looking forward to meeting Steinsson this weekend...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:52 am

Aye... i don't expect every corner to result in a goal - i'd just like some of them to get somewhere close to their intended target... i"m fairly easily pleased in this respect!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:D.S.B sums it all up neatly and concisely.....

Great article DSB :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Even the great Gary Speed rarely got his corners past the first defender. As such, and as annoying as it is, I do tend to find myself cutting the current bugger's muddle a little more slack.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Bish - check out the headline on No.4 in the Bristol Post

I wonder when the last time was that we were called "illustrious counterparts".
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Bish - check out the headline on No.4 in the Bristol Post

I wonder when the last time was that we were called "illustrious counterparts".
I might have said Eastleigh last year but they were a bit jumped-up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:45 pm

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 pm

ha! :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Even the great Gary Speed rarely got his corners past the first defender. As such, and as annoying as it is, I do tend to find myself cutting the current bugger's muddle a little more slack.
Don't. It's inexcusable.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Even the great Gary Speed rarely got his corners past the first defender. As such, and as annoying as it is, I do tend to find myself cutting the current bugger's muddle a little more slack.
indeed - much slackage is due - especially after having watched him bang that free kick into the top corner.. a bit of slackage entirely acceptable - saggage, on the other hand... :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Don't. It's inexcusable.
The guy appears to be putting in a shift. Scored two. One a fantastic free kick. All is currently well with the World .... be he should still clear the first man from a corner the vast proportion of the time.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:56 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Don't. It's inexcusable.
The guy appears to be putting in a shift. Scored two. One a fantastic free kick. All is currently well with the World .... be he should still clear the first man from a corner the vast proportion of the time.
Yeah, anyone can take a shot corner, penalty etc. Occasionally

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Corners were fookin ace today!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Corners were fookin ace today!
True. Some excellent deliveries and big Dave causing havoc.