Fleetwood Town (h) match thread 20/08/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fleetwood Town (h) match thread 20/08/16

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 am

Just seen the highlights for the first time. I see that Moxey was a 'dab' hand at being shit on the first?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:People were harsh to call our first half disgraceful. We did not play well but for me we tried to do too much in midfield.

Second half we put balls over the top for Woolery and the simpler style got us back in.

Credit to Vela. Brilliant finish and he was my man of the match out on the right hand side. Superb game from him.
Agree with most of that. We'd clearly set up to build slowly, hoping that spaces would become available, but had to resort to long diagonals to Madine. Bringing Woolery on was an opportunity to change that, but it was only after the break that we started to look for the ball in behind to exploit his pace.

We weren't brilliant in the first half, no doubt, but its not as if Fleetwood were looking like world beaters. A massive cock-up from Moxey was the only difference between the sides.

I'd have Spearing MotM. Constant steadying presence.
Spearing would be second for me. Followed by Wheater, Beevers and Buxton. All of whom were solid as you like.
I thought Mark Davies looked comfortably the best player on the pitch. Miss aside, he ran the show. We clearly moved to exploit their left side and between Davies, Vela, Buxton and Woolery, absolutely pummelled them down that side in the second half.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:People were harsh to call our first half disgraceful. We did not play well but for me we tried to do too much in midfield.

Second half we put balls over the top for Woolery and the simpler style got us back in.

Credit to Vela. Brilliant finish and he was my man of the match out on the right hand side. Superb game from him.
Agree with most of that. We'd clearly set up to build slowly, hoping that spaces would become available, but had to resort to long diagonals to Madine. Bringing Woolery on was an opportunity to change that, but it was only after the break that we started to look for the ball in behind to exploit his pace.

We weren't brilliant in the first half, no doubt, but its not as if Fleetwood were looking like world beaters. A massive cock-up from Moxey was the only difference between the sides.

Spearing would be second for me. Followed by Wheater, Beevers and Buxton. All of whom were solid as you like.
I thought Mark Davies looked comfortably the best player on the pitch. Miss aside, he ran the show. We clearly moved to exploit their left side and between Davies, Vela, Buxton and Woolery, absolutely pummelled them down that side in the second half.
For me he was in and out. I'd certainly not say he "ran the show". Decent game but that miss was appalling. For an attacking midfield player he simply has to score and create more. And I'm not sure he ever will on a consistent basis.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:19 am

Davies set up the opening goal at Wimbledon and set up the opening goal at Bristol. I'll agree that he has to do so more consistently, and that I'm quoting a small sample, but not as small as one shot.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:

For me he was in and out. I'd certainly not say he "ran the show". Decent game but that miss was appalling. For an attacking midfield player he simply has to score and create more. And I'm not sure he ever will on a consistent basis.
He created plenty, but you've already made your mind up on him.

Didn't waste a pass second half, everything went forward and he ran at them, dragged people out and he was the main reason Vela and Woolery had so much joy.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:24 am

If we don't manage to add to the squad, the current formation with Proctor and Woolery, and/or Clough as the forward point of the diamond presents very different looking forward threats than a Madine/Proctor/Mavies based attack? So maybe we have options within the current set up?

Apart from that though I agree with BWFCI in that we need a fast winger for a lot of alternative formations to work. I guess with Wilson and Taylor or even Moxey we could play wing backs and a back three if that was felt to match up better against certain opponents?

EDIT: Just realized this isn't the PlanB thread #doh

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 am

boltonboris wrote:

Didn't waste a pass second half, everything went forward and he ran at them, dragged people out and he was the main reason Vela and Woolery had so much joy.
I'd agree he had a good second half. First half though he was anonymous. I still think he isn't dangerous enough around the box. He doesn't imo create nearly enough in terms of clear chances and he certainly should be getting close to if not into double figures for goals this season.

I think still he isn't one thing or another. He doesn't control a midfield with passing range ala Tony Kelly.

Nor is he really an out and out attacking midfield player. That is his problem for me, he's a bit of this, a bit of that. And surely even his biggest fan would have to agree he drifts in and out of games?

I think the system Parky is playing suits him, so he's definitely making a contribution.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Davies set up the opening goal at Wimbledon and set up the opening goal at Bristol. I'll agree that he has to do so more consistently, and that I'm quoting a small sample, but not as small as one shot.
He did and thats good. Though I'd argue the Wimbledon one was not much to write home about, but the Bristol ball was nice and forward thinking. He needs to do that more. As well as score more.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am

Credit to Vela. Brilliant finish and he was my man of the match out on the right hand side. Superb game from him.[/quote]

I'd have Spearing MotM. Constant steadying presence.[/quote]

Spearing would be second for me. Followed by Wheater, Beevers and Buxton. All of whom were solid as you like.[/quote]

I thought Mark Davies looked comfortably the best player on the pitch. Miss aside, he ran the show. We clearly moved to exploit their left side and between Davies, Vela, Buxton and Woolery, absolutely pummelled them down that side in the second half.[/quote]

For me he was in and out. I'd certainly not say he "ran the show". Decent game but that miss was appalling. For an attacking midfield player he simply has to score and create more. And I'm not sure he ever will on a consistent basis.[/quote]

Didn't waste a pass second half, everything went forward and he ran at them, dragged people out and he was the main reason Vela and Woolery had so much joy.[/quote]

I wouldn't agree that he ran the show. Their number 10 (the cut price Aaron Ramsey) did what I'd want Davies to be doing and i'd say he was the best player in the first half.

Davies wasn't bad though, he just needs to learn to shoot instead of walking the ball in.

This is the thing though from what I've seen so far this season, everyone is playing 8/10 (apart from Moxey, who's play fluctuates from 10/10 to 0/10 during the game) and it's mounting up to a good "team" performance.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 am

Andy Waller wrote:
I wouldn't agree that he ran the show. Their number 10 (the cut price Aaron Ramsey) did what I'd want Davies to be doing and i'd say he was the best player in the first half.

Davies wasn't bad though, he just needs to learn to shoot instead of walking the ball in.

This is the thing though from what I've seen so far this season, everyone is playing 8/10 (apart from Moxey, who's play fluctuates from 10/10 to 0/10 during the game) and it's mounting up to a good "team" performance.
Aye this is a good point. He looked more effective than Davies. Agree also about the 8/10's everyone is doing their bit. Moxey is an odd one, seems dependable then does THAT.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:40 am

Interesting in that Fleetwood's No.10 is David Ball, who's a six-foot striker. He might drop off to find space but he isn't a midfielder.

He also scored 5 in 42 appearances last season, so maybe Mark Davies ain't so bad after all... :D

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting in that Fleetwood's No.10 is David Ball, who's a six-foot striker. He might drop off to find space but he isn't a midfielder.

He also scored 5 in 42 appearances last season, so maybe Mark Davies ain't so bad after all... :D
Purely from watching a few of their youtube videos he seems a really good player, and involved in most of their attacks that lead to goals so far. He seems to have the ability to score from 20 yards with either foot, and pick out killer passes in the last third. Van Veen from Scunthorpe seems pretty good too. Maybe we should be looking to buy these guys if our start materializes into either promotion or if we need to add a key player in Jaunary, finances permitting of course.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting in that Fleetwood's No.10 is David Ball, who's a six-foot striker. He might drop off to find space but he isn't a midfielder.

I don't care what he did last season, I'm on about what he did on Saturday.

I based the assumption that he was midfielder not really on what it says on his Wikipedia page, more on the fact that's where he spent most of last Saturday afternoon...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:50 am

Apparently he was played in a deeper role last season....

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport ... -1-8079386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely played behind the front men on Saturday. Caused problems.

Point is technically clearly he's not Mark Davies' level, but he had more impact on the game.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport ... -1-8079386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Point is technically clearly he's not Mark Davies' level, but he had more impact on the game.
Was the second half passenger who got subbed?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Was the second half passenger who got subbed?
Yes, that's why I said "first half".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah, I know. And how did that affect his goal return, the stick with which you're beating Mark Davies?

Point is that other team's players always look better than ours, to some folk – an extension of Andranik syndrome. I get that, but it doesn't mean I can't disagree with it. As for "more impact", it seems that he was nullified into withdrawal after half-time, while our team grew into the victory. That's a good thing...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah, I know. And how did that affect his goal return, the stick with which you're beating Mark Davies?

Point is that other team's players always look better than ours, to some folk – an extension of Andranik syndrome. I get that, but it doesn't mean I can't disagree with it. As for "more impact", it seems that he was nullified into withdrawal after half-time, while our team grew into the victory. That's a good thing...
How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

Ball for comparison has already bagged three this season. I don't think expecting more concrete end product from Davies is unreasonable. I'm sure Parky expects it too.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

Ball for comparison has already bagged three this season. I don't think expecting more concrete end product from Davies is unreasonable. I'm sure Parky expects it too.
I'm not having a go either, I just think MD lacks that cutting edge that would make him a top player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

How many goals did any Bolton player bag last season? Ball's a forward by trade, Davies never has been; comparisons are fatuous. And I'm sure Parky did want more "concrete end product" (like a car park?) than the admittedly inconsistent Mark Davies has frequently managed. He seems to be happy so far, and from the two games I've seen, so am I.