Fleetwood Town (h) match thread 20/08/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Fleetwood Town (h) match thread 20/08/16

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:22 am

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting in that Fleetwood's No.10 is David Ball, who's a six-foot striker. He might drop off to find space but he isn't a midfielder.

He also scored 5 in 42 appearances last season, so maybe Mark Davies ain't so bad after all... :D
Apparently he was played in a deeper role last season....

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport ... -1-8079386" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely played behind the front men on Saturday. Caused problems.

Point is technically clearly he's not Mark Davies' level, but he had more impact on the game.
Yeah, I know. And how did that affect his goal return, the stick with which you're beating Mark Davies?

Point is that other team's players always look better than ours, to some folk – an extension of Andranik syndrome. I get that, but it doesn't mean I can't disagree with it. As for "more impact", it seems that he was nullified into withdrawal after half-time, while our team grew into the victory. That's a good thing...
How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

Ball for comparison has already bagged three this season. I don't think expecting more concrete end product from Davies is unreasonable. I'm sure Parky expects it too.
I'm not having a go either, I just think MD lacks that cutting edge that would make him a top player.
I agree he does severely lack a cutting edge, and it comes close to making him a liability. It certainly does at championship level imo. Maybe Parky can get an end product of him before his career ends as one of unfulfillment.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

Ball for comparison has already bagged three this season. I don't think expecting more concrete end product from Davies is unreasonable. I'm sure Parky expects it too.
How many goals did any Bolton player bag last season? Ball's a forward by trade, Davies never has been; comparisons are fatuous. And I'm sure Parky did want more "concrete end product" (like a car park?) than the admittedly inconsistent Mark Davies has frequently managed. He seems to be happy so far, and from the two games I've seen, so am I.
I was comparing them in an advanced midfield role. I don't care if he's a milliner by trade, that's where he played on Saturday.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:51 am

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:How many goals did Mark Davies bag last season? I'm not beating him with any stick. Simply saying that he has to offer more in an attacking sense.

How many goals did any Bolton player bag last season? Ball's a forward by trade, Davies never has been; comparisons are fatuous. And I'm sure Parky did want more "concrete end product" (like a car park?) than the admittedly inconsistent Mark Davies has frequently managed. He seems to be happy so far, and from the two games I've seen, so am I.
I was comparing them in an advanced midfield role. I don't care if he's a milliner by trade, that's where he played on Saturday.
OK, fair enough. I just wondered if our Fleetwood expert BWFCi knew if Ball played there the previous two times he'd scored.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 pm

This thread has turned into a veritable feast of marketing speak bullshit and buzzwords.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:This thread has turned into a veritable feast of marketing speak bullshit and buzzwords.
And apparently Fleetwood had a hat maker in their team. No wonder we beat them.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:This thread has turned into a veritable feast of marketing speak bullshit and buzzwords.
Fascinator ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Fascinator ?
A tiara for the shire horse?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:52 pm

That just about caps it.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 pm

injury nooze on cloughand procter...
BN (Iles) wrote:
ZACH Clough suffered a fitness setback just 30 minutes into his comeback game against Fleetwood on Saturday.

The Wanderers striker made his first start of the season at the Macron but limped off after chasing down a loose ball.

Clough had been sidelined with a hamstring strain since pre-season but now stands to miss next weekend’s trip to Charlton Athletic.

“It’s not serious but he described it as a ‘pop’ in his hamstring a little bit down from where he injured it before,” Phil Parkinson explained after the game.

“It’s very, very frustrating because he’s a key player and one we know can be a goalscorer for us.

“When we lost Cloughy as well it took away some of the ammunition but I thought Kaiyne Woolery did well in the second half and what we want him to do.”

Jamie Proctor should be fit in time to face Charlton after Parkinson had erred on the side of caution by leaving him out of the squad to face Fleetwood.

The summer signing had reported tightness in his hamstring after last week’s win at Bristol Rovers.

“We could have pushed him if we’d really had to but we decided to be sensible with him,” added the Whites boss.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am

“We could have pushed him if we’d really had to but we decided to be sensible with him,”
That to me, shows a real confidence in the squad despite what some say about our depth
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:39 am

boltonboris wrote:
“We could have pushed him if we’d really had to but we decided to be sensible with him,”
That to me, shows a real confidence in the squad despite what some say about our depth
Yes - when you consider Clough, Mavies etc. coming off the bench in the Third Div, then it probably isn't all bad.

I am still trying to work out what cloughand is though, apparently Proctor is suffering from it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 am

A bit of statistical match analysis here. Warning: don't read if you don't like numbers. Basically, "close" first half, "dominant" second, "deserved" victory.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:A bit of statistical match analysis here. Warning: don't read if you don't like numbers. Basically, "close" first half, "dominant" second, "deserved" victory.
Not sure I fully agree with their methodology, from the brief description at least, because it seems quite subjective but thanks for introducing this blog to me. I'm gonna keep an eye on this in future.
No problem. Yeah, in this case it's a quantitative analysis of a qualitative assessment, which is often a bit weird, but hey-ho. Nice graphs, and worth a follow on Twitter.